What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the pictures.
The thread holding my clutch fan was cross thread and is a real pain to remove so I'm going to attempt to cut the shroud while it's still on the jeep.

Did you just cut 'A' only or 'B' as well? Thanks

You must be registered for see images

Just cut "A". "B" was recessed from the factory.

I'm not that talented with a Dremel and I drink way too much coffee. :ROFLJest:

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bob,

So trim the bottom and sides?

No, just a small trim along the bottom...

EDIT: Just went out in the garage and took a quick pic.

The arrows point to where I trimmed the shroud. The front of the Jeep is to the left. You can see there is just a small section trimmed away - and though it doesn't look like it thanks to the perspective of this shot, the width of the trim is just slightly wider than the fan's diameter.

Bob

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, just a small trim along the bottom...

EDIT: Just went out in the garage and took a quick pic.

The arrows point to where I trimmed the shroud. The front of the Jeep is to the left. You can see there is just a small section trimmed away - and though it doesn't look like it thanks to the perspective of this shot, the width of the trim is just slightly wider than the fan's diameter.

Bob

Yes. Sorry about that, but my fan was sitting upside down on the garage floor when I cut it. Like Bob said just the bottom and doesn't require much BUT if you have the 45rfe and the cooler in the radiator, then the lines are a bit in the way so you have to tilt it around them when installing and removing the shroud. I don't know where the lines run for the 42rle with the external cooler. I just went with a large taper for aesthetics.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
cutting too much of the shroud only weakens the shroud and reduces the efficiency of the fans.Bob

Good point, too much could definitely weaken the structure so definitely don't want to remove more than necessary but once that fan is mounted in the shroud it stays very rigid. Doubt the cut will effect efficiency much if at all since the fan pulls air in and the cut is on the other side and beyond the fan unit itself. More likely the Dorman replacement I used will affect efficiency. :gr_grin:

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes. Sorry about that, but my fan was sitting upside down on the garage floor when I cut it. Like Bob said just the bottom and doesn't require much BUT if you have the 45rfe and the cooler in the radiator, then the lines are a bit in the way so you have to tilt it around them when installing and removing the shroud. I don't know where the lines run for the 42rle with the external cooler. I just went with a large taper for aesthetics.

You're right - the trans cooler lines get in the way. I have the 42RLE but put in an '02 radiator so I'd have the in-rad cooler to go along with the external cooler. Takes a bit of maneuvering to get the tabs of the shroud around the cooler lines but I thought it was worth it. Without the in-rad cooler lines it's a simple case of "lift out/put back in." :gr_grin:

Bob

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're right - the trans cooler lines get in the way. I have the 42RLE but put in an '02 radiator so I'd have the in-rad cooler to go along with the external cooler. Takes a bit of maneuvering to get the tabs of the shroud around the cooler lines but I thought it was worth it. Without the in-rad cooler lines it's a simple case of "lift out/put back in." :gr_grin:
Bob

I remember that you had the dual trans cooler installed so you would know what I mean.

Just installed it, and went in like butter. Looks like I cut just enough. Still a little maneuvering with the tabs around the trans lines. The cutting doesn't help too much with that but once you get the right angle it slid right in. Buttoned it up and turned on the AC and she spins too. Guess I'll give it the road test tomorrow heading to work. Always plenty of traffic so may hit the test point. I'll throw the bluetooth scanner on before I leave and see what happens.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
How does it sound?
Really good. Much cleaner bass and I can actually hear the treble end of things now. I'll be installing a new HU withing the next week, but it is way better even with my stock RBQ radio.

For the tweeters did you use original wires with an adapter?
You can read the details here: http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f201/b-pillar-c-pillar-trim-removal-58055/

The short version is that I left the dash wiring for the old 2.8" speakers dangling and ran a new set of speaker wires from the tweeters in the dash to each front door, where they are then attached to the crossovers. The crossovers themselves are screwed to the metal base of each door on the inside bottom half. I reused the speaker wiring from the current radio to each door to feed the crossovers.

Last edited:

rcjohnson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thursday I installed the new tri link and yesterday I replace the ac compressor bearing plus the magnet and clutch. They were all destroyed.

Today I am driving it to the airport to park it in the garage for a week. Work is sending me up to Calgary Canada.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
picked up my mobil 1 oils, distilled water, and more shop towels from walmart.
Got new spark plugs and oil filters from amazon.

twowings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New PVC valve installed and had the dealer cycle and bleed the HCU pump and solenoids....re-bled brakes and now pedal is nice and firm and easy to modulate....

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put in a new set of NGK plugs gapped at .040 - purrs even smoother now ;)

And can't stop thinking about an ARB bumper for the front - and JBA coilovers, and a Mudd bumper for the back...

Dang Jeep disease :mexsmoke: :party52:

Bob

Kj/toy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put in a new set of NGK plugs gapped at .040 - purrs even smoother now ;)

And can't stop thinking about an ARB bumper for the front - and JBA coilovers, and a Mudd bumper for the back...

Dang Jeep disease :mexsmoke: :party52:

Bob

ARB...ARB.....ARB.......JBA......JBA......JBA.......Ima over half way there.....

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going to attempt to notch out the shroud early in the AM tomorrow.
Fingers crossed.

I have 2.5 weeks to get the coolant flushed, replace thermostat, change both front and rear gear oil, oil pressure sender.

If there's time, I'll be attempting to get my stuck transfer case fill plug removed again.
x.x

twowings

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Told it I got a little something sexy for its rear end... :icon_cool:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
For the third day in a row I drove it to my new job. Tough stop-and-go miles coming and going...

Tough on me, too. I went from having way too much free time to not nearly enough. :blah: