What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah, it's gotten to the point where just painting the rails only lasts *maybe* a year... so the POR15 is really an experiment in longevity. If it lasts longer, it'll be worth it.

72specialized

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got the suspension all ripped out and got the back end put back together. JBA lift system is everything it's cracked up to be and a bag of apples. Gotta take the front shocks and spring to spring shop Monday to get compressed. Awesome system. Very happy. Can't wait to get it finished and back on the ground.
Measured the rear at 18.5" before and with the lift in and wheels back on the ground it's at 22". Front still has jack stands under it.

Last edited:

KJmurf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Picked up this TJ bumper off Craigslist on Thursday, fabbed the bottom mounts to fit the KJ and bolted it on Friday. First pic shows the bumper with the KC lights that came with it and the second pic is with the bumper sitting in place.

The ends stick out a few inches because I have not finished the flat fenders yet. More to come.

Disclaimer: Before anyone (profdlp, I am talking to you) says how crooked it is sitting in the picture; it was not bolted down and the hood was unlatched. It is now correctly mounted in place and secured to the sub-frame with J-B KWIKweld and duct tape...and of course I used camo duct tape (what do think I am, some kind of redneck or something?).
:grd:

Last edited:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
tldr

:pimp:

btw:

Daggone thing looks crooked! It's like it's not even bolted down!!! :flame:

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That looks good murph, shaped like it's supposed to fit on there. Is that the Bestop Highrock? I've been eyeballing that one for mine. Would you mind showing what you did for the mount? And what's your plan for front lights?

KJmurf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That looks good murph, shaped like it's supposed to fit on there. Is that the Bestop Highrock? I've been eyeballing that one for mine. Would you mind showing what you did for the mount? And what's your plan for front lights?

Thanks alot, I really got lucky on this find.

Actually, I thought it was the Rickstop TJ bumper, but he is out of S.Africa (I think). Turns out a couple of local guys made this up and put it on Craigslist. I had been watching it for the last couple of months and when the bumper hit my price point, I had to jump on it.

Initially, I was thinking about making my own, but I don't have the skills to mess with steel plate (and make it look this good), I was just going to use 2x4 steel tube and angle the ends back. Anyway, I got real lucky that this one fits like it was made for it (for the most part). My friend with the TJ was a little PO'd that I got such a great deal on this one, but he'll get over it.

There are the 2 KC lights that came with it, but I am probably going to sell them (now that I refurbished them in black) or move them to the back of my roof basket. I currently have 2 of the Harbor Freight offroad lights up front that I am going to wire into the fog light switch (since they are now gone). I thought about an LED lightbar, but for the amount of nighttime use I would have, I am just going with $25 100watt lights through a 40amp relay. Plus, if they get break I won't feel it in my wallet so much and I will just buy another set.

For turn signals, I just ordered the set below off e-Bay out of California for $10/free shipping. They are 4.1 inches base width x 2 inches height x 1.3 inches deep and they have the angles that match the bumper.

As far as mounting, I went directly to the subframe, but I will PM you with the details. I have a feeling that it would not be up to the standards of some and I am not up to taking a bunch of :poop: for it.

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last shipment of parts came in yesterday,now only need to buy the long block for the KJ.

New intake,exhaust manifolds(with bolts and gaskets),waterpump,injectors(with O-rings),all new sensors(every single one on the engine),new front timing cover,Fastman throttle body,and new crank damper.All parts are new MOPAR besides the waterpump.

02blue

Comfortably numb
Reaction score
Finally got to use my home made crank damper installer. Worked like a charm. Everything else is installed, fluids are filled. Waiting for battery to charge before I crank prime it. Couldn't figure out how to prime the 2nd tensioners. Once I get some oil up there, then we'll go live and see if it explodes.

Cautiously optimistic. [-o<

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine is just taking a nap in the driveway SAVING GAS....LOL

Dave

02blue

Comfortably numb
Reaction score
It's alive...

Seems appropriate today of all days.

Cranked it with the coils unplugged and the fuel pump relay pulled. About four sets of three 10-15 second cranks per set. let it sit about 10 minutes between. No "bad" noises during the prime. Plugged everything back in and it fired right up. Guess I didn't mess up the timing.

Lots of smoke for a few minutes while everything burned off the cats. A little tick still there but I only had the heads cleaned and resurfaced for the new gaskets. Got it warm and moved it around a bit but no time for a real test drive today.

Still cautiously optimistic. :-k

KJmurf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Finally finished up my friends TJ sliders, put the KC lites up front (just to get an idea of the look), and fabbed up a rack for the back cargo area. Overall, pretty productive...maybe one of these days I will actually get her out and have some fun (not that making all this stuff isn't fun, but...).

Last edited:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
You got the hat trick, KJmurf - all three jobs look good. :waytogo:

(Nothing crooked, either.) :happy175:

KJmurf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You got the hat trick, KJmurf - all three jobs look good. :waytogo:

(Nothing crooked, either.) :happy175:

You Sir, are a gentleman and a scholar.

Thank you...It was a good Easter that ended with a meal with my lovely wife and beautiful daughter. Happy Easter to you and yours.

Leeann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bought mine a rivnut insert tool from a friend downsizing his tool collection - a really nice one made in England. For less than half the new price, even.

Now to find the needed nutserts/rivnuts so I can get the skids installed.

KJmurf

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bought mine a rivnut insert tool from a friend downsizing his tool collection - a really nice one made in England. For less than half the new price, even.

Now to find the needed nutserts/rivnuts so I can get the skids installed.

When I was looking for rivet nuts, I found a really good selection and good pricing at Fastenal. The store didn't have any, but the website had a great selection.

streetglideok

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took the KJ out Saturday to put the suspension to a mild test. Did some rocks, mud, water and washouts. The DTT in front and back kept traction climbing a rock covered trail. Adventures took us to Denver to pick up a camera lens, and led to a rock strike on the windshield. Woke up this am and found a small crack on the bottom of the glass. Ugh

Birdman330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tested out the A/C in full on the drive today. Yup works perfect, wife's Kia just about throws ice out of the vents too.

Latest posts

Members online