What did you do to your jeep today?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Way to think of this situation as a glass half full, Sota. ;)

I’m sure you can fix the head gasket issue and it will be good as new.
I know could, if I could make the time.
problem is, I have way too much other stuff that needs doing.
plus again, it's a $700 jeep, that I intended to buy for parts anyways.
the main reason I went for it was the unmolested and rot-less door shells.
all the other good bits are a bonus.

eventually I might start selling off most of the interior probably.
hell it's a renegade trim so things like the hood are near impossible to find.

since it's an 06 it has 4-channel ABS, which means I could swap the axle and front diff into mine and drop to 3.73s from 3.55s easily. Which then gives me the option to add DTTs front and rear, and still be able to go to 4.10s without a loss of investment.
forgot, the ABS system was replaced within the last year. all the sensors work, I just sorted that problem out myself.
since it has the 231J transfer case, I could get the 2LO kit for it and swap it in to mine.
there's the front and rear driveshafts.
oh! it had the rear lower arm recall done on it back in 2018. mine's never had it done.
now has a brand new regulator in the driver's front door.
all the glass intact (minus the rear glass latch plate. thinking of just taking that off the jeep and over to an auto glass shop and seeing if one of them can use their Really Good Glue to put it back on.)

overall, in terms of usable parts for me to keep or possibly sell, there's far more value than what it cost me to get.

i'm going to start another worksheet to track expenses and valuations of this, just like I did on my other parts car.

klc

“It flies like a truck.”
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know could, if I could make the time.
problem is, I have way too much other stuff that needs doing.
plus again, it's a $700 jeep, that I intended to buy for parts anyways.
the main reason I went for it was the unmolested and rot-less door shells.
all the other good bits are a bonus.

eventually I might start selling off most of the interior probably.
hell it's a renegade trim so things like the hood are near impossible to find.

since it's an 06 it has 4-channel ABS, which means I could swap the axle and front diff into mine and drop to 3.73s from 3.55s easily. Which then gives me the option to add DTTs front and rear, and still be able to go to 4.10s without a loss of investment.
forgot, the ABS system was replaced within the last year. all the sensors work, I just sorted that problem out myself.
since it has the 231J transfer case, I could get the 2LO kit for it and swap it in to mine.
there's the front and rear driveshafts.
oh! it had the rear lower arm recall done on it back in 2018. mine's never had it done.
now has a brand new regulator in the driver's front door.
all the glass intact (minus the rear glass latch plate. thinking of just taking that off the jeep and over to an auto glass shop and seeing if one of them can use their Really Good Glue to put it back on.)

overall, in terms of usable parts for me to keep or possibly sell, there's far more value than what it cost me to get.

i'm going to start another worksheet to track expenses and valuations of this, just like I did on my other parts car.
You could sell the cats and get a fair amount of your money back.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
and who knows. I'm always looking. maybe I'll come across a silver with good doors, a good engine and a bad trans, for about the same $. I could make 1 good one out of the 2 then. :D
and the wife would DEFINITELY kill me!

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there's even the slim possibility of me doing a total transplant from the silver to the khaki at some point. my silver has the usual PA/NJ rot problems, that i've been trying to mitigate, but since I plow with it means it's getting beat up more than might be normal.

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
there's even the slim possibility of me doing a total transplant from the silver to the khaki at some point. my silver has the usual PA/NJ rot problems, that i've been trying to mitigate, but since I plow with it means it's getting beat up more than might be normal.
That's my long term plan, I have 2 blue CRDs, wife doesn't like the manual one so all the best bits will slowly go over to the auto, not sure I can be bothered to swap all the leather over though, hopefully I'll be back at it in 4 ish weeks, I have surgery on my snapped bicep tendon tomorrow.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm jelly you had the choice of a manual CRD KJ.
although i'm kind of glad I didn't get one. those 2.8s are maintenance ******. :D

and ouch on the tendon thing.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well it stopped missing, and it stopped foaming.
let everything get up to temp, ripped up and down the driveway a few times.
monitored the trannie with the scan tool, and it shifted into all 4 gears.
pulled a sample of trannie fluid to send off to blackstone labs, and see if they think the trannie is cookied.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Blackstone Labs rocks. They saved my XJ some years ago because they identified coolant in the oil - cracked 0331 head!

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use blackstone labs every couple of oil changes, and every transmission fluid service on the autos (which at this point is just the wife's car.)
For the money it's a godsend to know with better certainty the condition of the expensive bits.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got some painting done today:

You must be registered for see images attach

Steel diff cover info here:

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm jelly you had the choice of a manual CRD KJ.
although i'm kind of glad I didn't get one. those 2.8s are maintenance ******. :D

and ouch on the tendon thing.
The CRDs aren't anywhere near as bad as some people would have you believe, I think they were so rare in America nobody knew much about them.

Cheers, hopefully I'll be home tonight.

CherokeeLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m working on tracing my tail light issue (my left running lamp is not getting power). Also, just last night that turn signal was acting up. It was acting like it was burnt out, so I got the rapid blink, but it also would go back to normal. I have that working. I think it was just a loose connection.

Anyways, I found I have no power going to the back of my jeep for the left running lamp. I metered it, and it’s dead zero. So, now I get to dig deeper!

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m working on tracing my tail light issue (my left running lamp is not getting power). Also, just last night that turn signal was acting up. It was acting like it was burnt out, so I got the rapid blink, but it also would go back to normal. I have that working. I think it was just a loose connection.

Anyways, I found I have no power going to the back of my jeep for the left running lamp. I metered it, and it’s dead zero. So, now I get to dig deeper!
I've got a rear light cluster with an internal fault - no power to the turn signal, messed around with bulb holders with no joy, swapped it to the other jeep and the fault moved with it, check the supply before you get two involved, you may have the same issue as me, I'll chip the cover off in a few weeks and see what's happening, there's no visible corrosion so it must have parted inside somewhere.

Glenn Buskirk

Reaction score
I worked with my daughter on her 2006 KJ. The speedometer isn't working and ESC/BAS/ABS lights are on. Before she bought the car, it was in barn storage for a few years. Apparently mice got to the wiring harness under the brake booster. There are two broken wires - and the other ends aren't to be found. They are Pink/White and Violet/Dk. Blue. I found these colors in wiring diagrams, and believe the Pink/White goes to a fuse and the Violet/Dk Blue goes to the Dynamics module in the cockpit. I may be able to parallel the missing wires with replacement wires to their destinations. Another day though.

With a tiny bit of assistance, my daughter changed out the serpentine belt. I changed the corroded battery terminals. The vehicle was setup to be towed by an RV, although I previously took off the tow bars. Today I took out the brake harness for being towed.

While working near the brake booster, I observed an unused vacuum **** on the brake booster. Looking around, I found a disconnected hose. I connected the two. This fixed a pesky problem of the vehicle - The blend door would not work to divert the heat/AC airflow anywhere else but the windshield. Now it is working. I had also noticed the brakes not working too well at times, like a panic stop at low speed. I suspect the vacuum leak in the booster was causing this too. I'm surprised we weren't also seeing problems with the air/fuel mixture.

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn’t have much time today to work on mine, but made a little more progress.

New sway bar bushings installed. These will get torqued to spec later once the Jeep is on its wheels.

Engine skid back on.

Moog bushings pressed back into the LCA’s.

Since tomorrow is Saturday and the weather looks good, I am hoping to make some significant headway on putting things back together. My rebuilt JBA adjust a struts and JBA’s new UCA’s arrived today. Those were the last major parts I was waiting on.

Last edited:

CherokeeLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've got a rear light cluster with an internal fault - no power to the turn signal, messed around with bulb holders with no joy, swapped it to the other jeep and the fault moved with it, check the supply before you get two involved, you may have the same issue as me, I'll chip the cover off in a few weeks and see what's happening, there's no visible corrosion so it must have parted inside somewhere.
I ohmed out my cluster, and everything was good. I identified the “bad wire,” and I traced it to the main plug for the rear lights, which is behind the rear right paneling. My trailer lights harness tees into there. I have no voltage out of the pin that goes to said light bulb.

Latest posts

Members online