What battery should I get?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smarkham

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There was a malfunction with my alarm (during a thunderstorm....long story) and the lights came on. My battery died...I called AAA....they charged it. I bought my KJ about 1.5 years ago and it has the original battery. It's looking ratty. I think it's time for a new one (my KJ now has 61,000 miles on it). I was thinkng about getting a Sears Die Hard. Any recommendations?

THANKS

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
Odyssey batteries are better than the Optima YELLOW top D34/78, being a deep cycle battery. The RED top 34 & 34R, has just a bit more CCA than the Yellow. The Odyssey have the most CCA for a battery, like the 1500. Still, where do you live where you would need something like that? Siberia?

http://www.odysseybatteries.com/battery/pc1500series.htm

The Military (as they claim they are a military SPEC battery) use MANY types of batteries, including the Optima, namely the Yellow. It all depends on the application. They also use Lithium ION batteries; and Exide made batteries. They use quallion for unmanned military vehicles. Plus, simple Enersys standard Lead-Acid Batteries, as I said, it all depends on the application, and region. Basically, MANY different types...

CRD Joe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive had both and Odyssey batteries last longer and are of higher quality. The Optimas reliability have taken a hit in recent years. Are they better than most normal batteries sure, Odyssey's are better.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I have a Die Hard Gold....no complaints. Had it for a year, and seems as good as new....:D

CRD Joe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Optimas arent bad. Although recently it came out that the design requires a different style of charge and more are failing than in the past.....

L

lil black liberty

I have an Optima Yellowtop that is just this side of amazing.. I had the Mopar one for only 4 years.. The reason being is because I have subwoofers and alot of electronics in my vehicle. I know some old boys using Optima Bluetops in their KJ's and they are much better than the Red or Yellow and not to mention I believe cheaper.. they are a Marine battery and can take a little more wear and tear on them. If it was me and I could redo all this I would get a blue top.. but I do like my Yellowtop.. Also sorry to those who have had problems with Optima's but I haven't had any issues with mine infact I think by putting in a new alternator it's helped.. I've been thinking about changing out my new alternator though for a Mean Green 200 amp Alt

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My '02 KJ got a RedTop with 20miles on the ODO,replaced with a YellowTop in '06(got a winch).That RedTop is still in use by my father.I swapped out the YellowTop with a Odyssey PC1500 battery,there is no comparision between the 2(the YellowTop is still in great condition also).

Odyssey makes the DieHard Platnum series batteries also for Sears.

L

lil black liberty

My '02 KJ got a RedTop with 20miles on the ODO,replaced with a YellowTop in '06(got a winch).That RedTop is still in use by my father.I swapped out the YellowTop with a Odyssey PC1500 battery,there is no comparision between the 2(the YellowTop is still in great condition also).

Odyssey makes the DieHard Platnum series batteries also for Sears.

I had heard about the DieHard Plat.. are they any good?

ThunderbirdJunkie

Bronze Supporter
Reaction score
Who manufactures Odyssey's batteries?

Because almost all the other ones that have been discussed (Wal Mart being the exception) have been Interstate products

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DON'T BUY INTERSTATE BATTERIES.. THEY SUCK!!!

I have replaced more Interstate batteries than i can count. The one that came in the minivan we had died and left us in the cold, and the one in the PT Cruiser we have is starting to make me think its going to get replaced before winter arrives. Both vehicles came with an Interstate when i bought them so i didn't have a choice at the time.

Back when i lived on the farm we went through Interstate batteries like they were Rayovac cells.. LOL

I have an Optima Yellowtop deep cycle as my backup battery in the radio room, aka the shack, and that battery is awesome, it takes long discharge and recharge cycles no problem. I've killed a few other deep cycle batteries in the same application so this Optima has me impressed.

The Jeep, hmm, i don't remember what is in there. It's new and was put in by the dealer when i bought the KJ. I will have to look and see what it is, overall though it doesn't worry me until i have troubles, when i do its time for an Optima RedTop.

As for the comment about Wal-Mart batteries, i went through three of them in the same amount of years in one of our past vehicles, they suck. But if your in a pinch and can't afford anything else they will get you by for a while.

Powerslave

Banned
Reaction score
I've been thinking about changing out my new alternator though for a Mean Green 200 amp Alt

Someone stated in another post, that it really won't do any good as the ECM controls the charge voltage to the Battery, and accessories anyway. The system only allows for 136 amps to be distributed for the average KJ.

Use an Isolator and two batteries... Run all your added accessories off the other battery... If you customize your intake, removing the Air Box for a cone filter, there is PLENTY room for another battery...