What are your opinions of these brakes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Minimike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've seen these before on ebay. My current brake work fine but the front rotors are warped from pulling the camper all summer and from highway stopping.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/2003-2007-JEEP-LIBERTY-Drilled-Rotors-Ceramic-Pads-F-R-/250891551174?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A2007|Make%3AJeep|Model%3ALiberty&hash=item3a6a4d41c6

I'm not the biggest fan of drilled rotors, cause lead to cracking if its a poor job. These are supposedly made in Canada and they look decent. It will be hard to match the price too. Just looking to see if anyone else has had experience with these brakes.

Thanks!

P.S. I want your opinion, I do not need a lesson in brakes :):whip:

Last edited:

Bulli

Full Access Member
Reaction score
P.S. I want your opinion, I do not need a lesson in brakes :):whip:

It seems like it is a problem on forums these days. Every one is a expert. There are some people with good experience and then there are google catchers. Unfortunaly the google guys overshadow the experienced. Ryan (sorry) is a good example. He is strongly opiniated, but also goes out and uses his jeep. With that comes experience and know how. So if he says this spacer works well with this tyre size, i believe him becouse he has obviously tried it. Doesn't say that i'm going out to get that combo and that that will work for what i want to achieve. But its a starting point to get info from.
The point i want to make is that any comment must be taken from what source it comes from. At the end it is only opinions from people on the net. If they give a lesson about brakes, let them. If it is good mechanical advise other people that read it may benefit.

O, the brakes. Dont know the company but my brake problems is gone after fitting drilled and slotted disks from summit with a Safeline cheap pad. Braking is extremely positive and it bites even when cold. The pads it wearing faster, i changed the first set on 15000km worn to the wear plate. Where i used to get about 25000km on a set. No brake fade. squeels a little but i think it is the pads. The disks doesn't show any discolouring or wear yet.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
I won't give you a lecture on brakes ...

but Gold Cadmium is highly toxic .. like even a small amount of dust = respiratory infection type toxic.

I really don't know how they are making them here .. then again we still ship asbestos all over the planet :(

oh man .. now I'm depressed ... and I couldn't help with the brakes.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never heard of the brand,would be worried about fleabay quality.Your hard pressed to find a good quality set of rotors and pads for one axle for less then $150,couldn't imagine the quality for 2 sets for $200.Don't skimp on brakes,it's just not your safety you have to think about about but all the others that share the road with you.

Oh and skip drilled rotors,can actually worsen brake performance if you know why drilled rotors even came to be in the days of drag racing.

Okura_hubby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to chime in on my experience with pads. I changed out my pads right before I left Hawaii. My neighbor was a Jeep nut and worked for the USAF as a mechanic so.. I got him to assist in the change of fluids and new pads. I went with middle of the road pads through Autozone if I remember right. They seemed not as grippy as the factory ones. Maybe they were just new. But my experience, is, I will use factory MOPAR next time. Just was a bit scarey at first. Now they seem like normal, or maybe I am used to the feeling. But unlesss someone says "these are grippier" I would recommend staying with MOPAR.

I look at the Forums as not only a technical source but a sounding board on ideas. Also see what people ask, and sometimes thinking, yeah I want to know that. Or I add my 5 cents to my experience. People can read my response or they can skip. I would what you call a nube. But I have owned my Jeep since 2006. Though my Jeep has lived a sheltered life. I value everyones opinion, not just the guys who mod'd their jeep into something far from stock..

Last edited:

Minimike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments, TJKJ2002 I agree with you. I have never heard of this brand before. I never planned on skimping but if someone else had good luck with them then for 200 bucks I would have given them a whirl. Its only 200 for all 4 corners, which is also why I was leery.

And Bulli

My Certificates (just automotive ones)
Class A Automotive Technician, Canadian Read Seal Inter provincial Certified, Ford Master Technician and Specialized Diagnostician. I currently teach high school where I specialize in sciences and trades.

I do appreciate all comments but don't rant on my thread :)

Thanks Luke, I didn't know about the dangers of those types of rotors. Very good to know!!

Ohio-white-kj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I won't give you a lecture on brakes ...

but Gold Cadmium is highly toxic .. like even a small amount of dust = respiratory infection type toxic.

I really don't know how they are making them here .. then again we still ship asbestos all over the planet :(

oh man .. now I'm depressed ... and I couldn't help with the brakes.

It says Gold Zinc, which should really be yellow zinc, different than Cad.. I used to be rather involved in plating in an automotive supplier's shop. They still use yellow zinc, not near as corrosion resistant as cad., but I know of no one still doing cad.

And also - no help on the brakes.

Minimike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okura_hubby I have experienced this before when customers opted for non-metallic pads, even some lower grade ceramic pads felt this way. I would just switch them out for metallic pads, they offer (most of the time) slightly better braking.

I have tried using organic pads and they suck!

Minimike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ohio-white-kj thanks for the response, I think I will do some research on the coating. I am curious to see what it really is/does.

Luke

Interloper
Reaction score
It says Gold Zinc, which should really be yellow zinc, different than Cad.. I used to be rather involved in plating in an automotive supplier's shop. They still use yellow zinc, not near as corrosion resistant as cad., but I know of no one still doing cad.

And also - no help on the brakes.

I was hoping it was actually Zinc ... I know they look identical and without the proper equipment they are indistinguishable All I could see was Gold Cadmium in the item description. Gotta look again!

I understand why they used to use it .. apparently 3x more corrosion resistance than other platings ... but ya there is a reason almost nobody uses it anymore

Edit* just re-read ... still says Gold Cad ... (last 3x longer than Zinc) is the only Zinc reference I see

Oops .. Item description .. now I see it!

Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want some rotors that will last and will resist warping the best get the PowerSlot Cyro frozen rotors,pricey but I never warped the set I had up front for 60,000 miles and I was very ******* my brakes with drums in the rear.The big factor going for them is being cyro frozen.

Minimike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the like tjkj! I will be looking into those rotors. For about $650 I think I can get a whole set. I will have to decide what to do with the brakes. We bought it in march of this year, but the dealership would have only installed the cheapest parts they could find. Hence why 7 months later they need to be replaced.