Jeep dealer trying to rip me off??? (Lots of Pics)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

UKKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All,

Please give me your opinion on the condition of these brakes....

What do you think the percentage wear is??? (% front & % rear)

during servicing, I asked the dealership to change the discs (rotors) as they were warped after 7500 miles... (known issue on UK KJ's) They now have a policy of only skimming them, and if they skim them and they are underssize, they charge!

They also want £168.55 front and £168.55 rear just for the pads($640!)

BTW, this is the first time I have looked at them since service on 7/7/06...(jeep rarely used as i have a bike in the summer)

Opinions please and then i will tell you what they said...

Also, a failing ball joint was spotted...They didn't even booked me in for that... (not getting any money for warranty work!!) There is a vid at the bottom of the up/down play

What I would REALLY like is for a DC/Jeep Technician to reply, and than i can print the thread out and hit the dealer with it... Keep your name to yourself though on case of any follow ups

Cheers
Mark

Both Nearside Front
You must be registered for see images

Nearside Front Outboard

Nearside Front Outboard

Nearside Front Outboard

Offside Front Outboard

Offside Front Outboard

Nearside Rear Outboard

Nearside Rear Outboard

Nearside Rear Outboard

Nearside Rear Outboard

Offside Rear Outboard

Offside Rear Outboard

Offside Rear Outboard

Ball Joint Vid

NSF Ball joint

UKKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Add a bit more interest(?) Heres the paperwork... Ball Joint??

Trodo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, I just had my brakes inspected, and they were similar to yours. Mine were 80% on the fronts, 75% on the rears. It does look like your calipers need some tending to, greese and the such, but over fine.

As for the LBJ. A knocking is a bad thing. It means there's play in the LBJ where they should be almost none. I was told by a 5 star mechanic that the knocking means it's very close to a break down. You should have that serviced before the brakes.

UKKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Trodo..

I think the caliper condition is down to 2 british winters and american corrosion prevention i am afraid.. May give them a spruce up!
(It was only serviced 1500miles ago and it has only done 17k)

Early Cherokees suffer real bad underneath over here, i have waxoyled mine.. and don't talk to me about wheel lacquer/salt issues..

Regards
Mark

Corwyyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One thing I was looking at was the pitting on your rear rotors. Overall I think you pads are OK, the front are about at the same point mine are (but I have 60K on the OD). I am going to replace mine tomorrow; I can get front and rear pads at the auto parts store for under $60 all around (£114). I'll check the rotor condition but they should be OK, I haven't noticed any pulsing during braking. Good luck on that and I agree with Trodo, the LBJs need to be done before the brakes.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pads are just fine. There is a recall on that balljoint so the dealer MUST do it. Its a safety recall and they could get in big crap if they dont do something about it. I would call DC directly and talk to them about it. I found the phone number in the back of my Owners manual and called them while I was sitting in the dealerships parking lot(long story, my rims were peeling).

I would take the jeep somewhere else to get new rotors put on it. If you can do it yourself I would do that, they look like they have alot of rust on them anyway. Rotors dont cost that much and it would be something you could do with your jeep, bonding it good ya know. O:) I would also clean that caliper up alittle.

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
check my topic, i had similar condition, this might be routine for them regardless of area.
during servicing, I asked the dealership to change the discs (rotors) as they were warped after 7500 miles... (known issue on UK KJ's) They now have a policy of only skimming them, and if they skim them and they are underssize, they charge!

I dropped a grand at the dealership. They did my brakejob front and back and then they did something to the differential.. plus oil change, there goes my hundred!!! darn it.. after that job brakes felt weird, until I get used to it.

2003KJ

Reaction score
The pads look just fine...got plenty of life left in em....I would agree with the above that you're calipers coulde use a little bit of attention. Nothin too big.

UKKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Marlon,

Apologies for the northern england sarcastic wit...
...i know you have a diseasal now 8-[

Well Guys... 1500 miles ago the dealer said:

95% front.. :^o

85% back... :^o :^o

Guessing they don't want to change the pads when doing warranty rotor repair!!

UKKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am invited to a meeting with the dealer principal on saturday..

Will be interesting...

I will ask him about ball joint recalls for the UK KJ owners

cowcatcher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it stops OK I wouldn't worry about it.

Rotor's and pads are easy to change with just a few tools and limited mechanical experience. You will find that the parts are relatively cheap too if you buy from an auto parts store rather than the dealer. The job would likely take two hours or so for the inexperienced and less for someone who had done it before. I really can't get a good feel about the wear on the rotors but I agree with the others that the pads don't look too bad.

UKKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Many thanks for that..

I have no issue changing the rotors, and i can source EBC parts (Discs and Pads) for £120.
(I worked for Ford WRC team in the Colin McRae/Sainz era)

It is a principal thing, These Genuine Jeep discs have lasted 7000 miles, which indicates another issue somewhere. (Drive shaft run out, ball joint...)
If I had paid for the discs in the first place, I would probably have taken legal advice by now!!!

The way the dealer has dealt with the issue, prioritising the brakes over the ball joint (not even mentioning it) is what I have a large problem with.

Regards
Mark

hyde

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is what I got in the mail. Dealer special:

Fall Service Special*
Lube, oil and filter change
Rotate and balance tires
Check tire tread for wear
Test battery for proper charge
Check and top off all fluids
Inspect brake system
27-point vehicle inspection
Now only $169.95!

Cool.. They don't do anything BUT oil change and rotate tires, they charge $170...

I think anyone could get the same thing for $30 at local shop.. Am I wrong?

Eddo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hyedipin said:

Fall Service Special*
Rotate and balance tires
Inspect brake system
Now only $169.95!

Cool.. They don't do anything BUT oil change and rotate tires, they charge $170...

Sounds correct to me. You could do all that stuff in a Sunday afternoon for as little as 15 dollars.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hyedipin said:

Fall Service Special*
Rotate and balance tires
Inspect brake system
Now only $169.95!

Ohh gosh, wonder how many people will pay for that? Stupid dealer.