What are you paying for gas???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
melted said:
#2 diesel was $2.399 in Fort Collins CO last Friday. I bought B20 biodiesel for $2.459. A buddy found #2 in Cheyenne WY for $2.199, but 80 miles round trip for a 15 gallon fill-up doesn't seem quite right to me.

Since B20 is hard to find, I fill up when Miles to Empty is close to 100, and add about 15 gallons. So doing the math:

a 20.5 gallon tank,
@ about 22mpg,
~5 gallons left in tank @22 mpg = 110 miles

Seems about right. That's ~350 miles before I get the twinge to fill up - or 450 miles if I have the courage (and bladder) to push it.

Cheyenne and Laramie always have the best fuel prices! I saw diesel here for $2.14 yesterday. One cent less then Unleaded.

swyszomirski

Reaction score
Here in California, in the Bay Area, I have been getting 87 grade gas for between 2.49 and 2.63 a gallon. In some places, 92 grade can be over 3.00

Flaren

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I filled Libby up for the first time on Tuesday......yipe! The first thing I learned, do not look directly at the numbers on the gas pump, just put your card in, select your grade, start filling, then look away, and don't look back. Good lord this little girl is thirsty! I think it was something like $2.24 a gallon and she took like 17.3 gallons. This is the first time I have EVER paid $38.75 to fill up a car......lol. But here's the worst part, I almost cried when I figured out her mileage....13.92 mpg. That one hurt. I know she's still breaking in, but sheesh! I'm hoping it'll get better soon, my wallet hopes so too....lol.

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
yeah...at least ur about 20 cents cheaper....and ur right....i start to panic when the thing goes past 25 bux.

i get about the same mileage..and it's close to 4 years already....and i still get about 11-14 city ( I really need to stop mashing on the gas...LOL)

Flaren

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know, I'm mostly city, too, with lots of highway on the weekends. I've been trying to be nice while she breaks in, but I guess I've been a little heavy on the fun pedal....lol.

2003KJ

Reaction score
Paid $1.99/gal yesterday....w00t!

Flaren, whats the 6-speed like? Once it breaks in, you should get some awesome milage crusin on the highway in 6th (thats like what, idle speed???...LOL). Next time i get on the highway, i'll pay more attention to what the rpm's are on the 4-speed auto....seems like 2300-2500 at about 65-70 if i'm not mistaken.....not bad, but an extra gear or would really help.

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
Flaren said:
I filled Libby up for the first time on Tuesday......yipe! The first thing I learned, do not look directly at the numbers on the gas pump, just put your card in, select your grade, start filling, then look away, and don't look back. Good lord this little girl is thirsty! I think it was something like $2.24 a gallon and she took like 17.3 gallons. This is the first time I have EVER paid $38.75 to fill up a car......lol. But here's the worst part, I almost cried when I figured out her mileage....13.92 mpg. That one hurt. I know she's still breaking in, but sheesh! I'm hoping it'll get better soon, my wallet hopes so too....lol.

I know why Jon's mileage is horrible... he lives in NYC. Nothing but stop and go traffic.

Flaren... you have to do much of that? There's not much stop and go here. Detroit's quite easy to drive in. However, break in *****. I was always told to break in cars by beating the crap out of them. =D> Going slow just won't be right.

Flaren

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The KJ's pretty jumpy with the 6-speed. 1st gear is soooooo loooooowww and so unbelievably torque-y. You pretty much tear through 1st and 2nd almost instantly once you start rolling. 3rd is by far my favorite....lol. Pulls really smooth and quick and a lot stronger than I was expecting! On the highway, she sits right around 2500-2750 at 80-85 (so what if I had a fun drive home tonight?....lol) The 6th gear doesn't really help as much as you might think, though. It's not like an extra gear added on top, the extra gear is kinda like dispersed through the mid-range, if ya get what I mean. 5 and 6 are this|close together, however I find 3rd and up to 4th much much smoother than the BF's 5-speed TJ. I find it doesn't make too much of an RPM difference on the highway. Maybe not yet at least. One thing I have found is that Libby is a rev-monkey. She loves it....she revs so much and so high sometimes that it really seems very car-like driving her. Apparently the ****** DCX used is a very close cousin of what they're currently using in the new Crossfire (NSG370). Maybe that explains some of it. Such are my observations thus far....lol. =)

2003KJ

Reaction score
marlonjbt said:
Flaren said:

I know why Jon's mileage is horrible... he lives in NYC. Nothing but stop and go traffic.

Flaren... you have to do much of that? There's not much stop and go here. Detroit's quite easy to drive in. However, break in *****. I was always told to break in cars by beating the crap out of them. =D> Going slow just won't be right.

I've always been real easy on my vehicles during the break in period. 5K is when the fun begins...LOL.

The one thing you DO NOT want to do with a brand new engine is get on the highway and run the same speed for an excessive period of time (say with the cruise control on for a while for example) You run the risk of the valves not setting properly. Drop it down 5mph for a bit, then bring it back up or something.

2nd day I had my KJ, I took it out about 100 miles away from me to show my friends, ran it no more than 70 mph w/o cruise control, just to be safe. No problems yet.

Flaren

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2003KJ said:
The one thing you DO NOT want to do with a brand new engine is get on the highway and run the same speed for an excessive period of time (say with the cruise control on for a while for example) You run the risk of the valves not setting properly. Drop it down 5mph for a bit, then bring it back up or something.

2nd day I had my KJ, I took it out about 100 miles away from me to show my friends, ran it no more than 70 mph w/o cruise control, just to be safe. No problems yet.

I've been treating her pretty well so far. I just decided to see what she could do on the way home from the BF's house tonight (about a 55-mile 45-50 minute 97% highway drive). I'm usually a speed-demon and it was killing me crawling along at 65-70....bad, i know.....lol, but I'm trying really hard to change my driving habits. I do realize the rather large difference of driving an suv, and I"m trying to kick some of my nastier "sedan habits"....lol. There's a nice like 4 mile straightaway on the highway home. I've been usually keeping it between 65 and 75 the rest of the time and shifting back and forth between 5th and 6th about every 5-10 miles or so.

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Flaren, it sounds like you don't even need 1st gear to take off then. Right? I had an old truck that was geared low and 1st was only required for towing. Speaking of towing, I bet it would tow real nice!

Latest posts

Members online