Well a 1990 Chevy 350 fit...?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trevoradam

Reaction score
Title says it all work a 350 fit into a jeep liberty with issues? I have one lying around and just want some intel as I'm thinking of doing it but don't know all what I would be looking into or getting myself into.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Title says it all work a 350 fit into a jeep liberty with issues? I have one lying around and just want some intel as I'm thinking of doing it but don't know all what I would be looking into or getting myself into.

To start distributor is in the rear and will hit the firewall
Next oil pan clearance will be nill since the 3.7s almost touches the front diff the way it is.
Front diff more than likely need swapped out ( with all that extra power ) :emotions34::emotions34:
Then, ............well lots of things.
Plus do you have lots of fabrication experience
There are many sitting where people tried to fit this or that
But carry on don't want to dash your dreams

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
This is a first...
Is your kJ a 4X4?
While it is true that a 350 fits into many GM platform vehicles, it's way too big for a unibody KJ.
There are 4.7's youtube videos in KJ's but how deep are your pocket$ $$$ ??
Everything from computers to wiring / programming, mounts etc needs to be handled.
Not for the novice & not cheap I'm afraid.
If you need a new motor just find a good used 3.7 somewhere, or get a new/rebuilt one is the easiest & least expensive.

Trevoradam

Reaction score
To start distributor is in the rear and will hit the firewall
Next oil pan clearance will be nill since the 3.7s almost touches the front diff the way it is.
Front diff more than likely need swapped out ( with all that extra power ) :emotions34::emotions34:
Then, ............well lots of things.
Plus do you have lots of fabrication experience
There are many sitting where people tried to fit this or that
But carry on don't want to dash your dreams

the oil pan clearance isn't a huge issue, yes the front diff would need to be swapped that isn't an issue.

but I've heard it well fit in and attaches to the ****** but I don't believe that it well. Cherslor and dodge don't exactly mingle well but I could be wrong.

The computer talking isn't an issue for me as I'm a programmer and I can get them to talk easily. It's the whole dropping it in and getting it to fit with minimal modifications if that's even possible. The bolt pattern I don't think will be the same but I was curious on the aspect of can I drop it in and it will bolt to ****** no problem?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
the oil pan clearance isn't a huge issue, yes the front diff would need to be swapped that isn't an issue.

but I've heard it well fit in and attaches to the ****** but I don't believe that it well. Cherslor and dodge don't exactly mingle well but I could be wrong.

The computer talking isn't an issue for me as I'm a programmer and I can get them to talk easily. It's the whole dropping it in and getting it to fit with minimal modifications if that's even possible. The bolt pattern I don't think will be the same but I was curious on the aspect of can I drop it in and it will bolt to ****** no problem?

Will not be minimal
Plus oil pan will be
and what other front diff would you use.
Best would be SFA , but that is a whole other ball of wax

Last edited:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
It's on my read list for later for a stroll down memory lane, if I remember it right he just ended up throwing the KJ onto a K5 frame I think?

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you are confusing "well" with "will" rather often.

Just because you are a programmer does NOT mean that you can get GM electronics to communicate to a Chrysler PCM. How exactly do you intend to do this? DO you know what sensors are involved and what their output signal specifications are compared to the expected PID for the Jeep PCM?

What year/style of 350 small block are you using? Carburated, TBI, MPFI?

The years and times of "just throw a tree-fitty init" are pretty much gone. Have been for 20+ years.

There are a literal ton of other engines that are smaller, lighter, and make more power and torque. So unless you want to do this just for giggles and have tens of thousands you are willing to stick into a 15 year old Jeep platform that very few even care about, just to have it end up as "kinda drive-able"...

I'm sure this is doable. But in the end, unless you're in it for the fun and don't care what it looks like, drives like, or if it's even legal to put on the road, meh.

Good luck.

Myke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would just gut the gauge cluster and put in a sheet of aluminum and run your own gauges. Swap an auto trans with standalone tcu. Blinkers, lights etc can be run to their own relays.

Would need to fab motor mounts, trans and tcase cross members with radius arm mounts, plate the frame section, coilover mounts, design a steering box mount and panhard bar mount.

It can be done but you better have a ton of fab skills.