Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NtendoDude

Reaction score
First off I'm new here, please don't yell if someone already posted this or I'm in the wrong section, I did a little searching and didn't see my issue. Hi, I'm Rich BTW lol, 05 3.7L owner for 3 days now. First day fired right up off the lot, drove it to my father's (5 miles) picked him up and took him to the store (about a mile) shut it off while we went into the store. No longer than 20 min, get back out won't Start. Figured it was sitting lemme get a jump, after about 20 min attached to another vehicle via jumper cables it starts. Get my dad home, shut it off, hang out about half hour and didn't start again that night, even bought a brand new battery. Called the place I got it from and even tho they sold it as is he said he would take care of it. Today I get it back, dealership said it was starter. Drove home, just fine, picked up my wife and son and went for ice cream (about 4 miles) shut it off about half hour while we had Iice cream, went to start and itdidnt want to start but it was different than the day before, the day before it was just dead clicking, tonight it wanted to start. After about 5 min of quick start,turn key back, start, turn key back it finally firedup. Anyone have any ideawtf is going on lol. I paid 2k and it has 197k miles. 05 liberty sport 3.7L. Ran a car fax and it's been regularly maintained. I'm so confused. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone. I look forward to being a part of this community.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Failing ignition actuator pin? They go bad. Usually get dashlights but no start.

Bad charging system? Put a voltmeter on the battery terminals while running above idle and it should be 14 volts or so.

Bad starter relay? On the CRD it's under the hood labeled ASD. Swap it with another identical relay. I'm not sure that's how the 3.7 is wired.

Current draw when shut off? Anything added on or shorted out that could be draining the battery?

Any codes?

NtendoDude

Reaction score
Wow. Thanks for all the suggestions, I'm going to be busy tomorrow lol. No codes, sorry should have stated that, also nothing added that could be draining. Thanks for the suggestions and quick response ☺

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check the connectors on the Battery are clean and tight.

Check the Negative Battery lead going to chassis is clean and tight.

Very important.....there are two flexible leads connecting the rear of the heads to the Firewall....check these are clean and tight!;)

So at the moment is the engine turning over nicely but not firing at first?

Should be Codes if you have the right Code Reader.o_O

NtendoDude

Reaction score
Check the connectors on the Battery are clean and tight.

Check the Negative Battery lead going to chassis is clean and tight.

Very important.....there are two flexible leads connecting the rear of the heads to the Firewall....check these are clean and tight!;)

So at the moment is the engine turning over nicely but not firing at first?

Should be Codes if you have the right Code Reader.o_O

It's more like after a 10-15 min drive, shutting it off, then trying to start again it will turn over but give me trouble firing up. Thanks for the reply tho I'm definitely going to look into all the things everyone are suggesting.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
With unknown age of spark plugs, it probably would fire better with 6 new NGK Spark plugs installed. They can be replaced at home.
The plugs gap can get eaten away & then out of spec.
Use NGK brand ZFR6F-11G gap at .040 inch.
Write up on plugs replacement: https://www.jeepkj.com/threads/how-to-change-spark-plugs.34330/

NtendoDude

Reaction score
No codes, acts like it wants to start but doesnt, check the fuel pressure.
Thanks for the response. Today it only did it once. Much better than other days. But I still want to fix it. I appreciate the suggestion. ;)

first&lastKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife’s 02 was doing the same thing, turned out to be the camshaft position sensor.

FinKJ

Reaction score
Check engine coolant temp sensor. My Libby didn't like hot starts. Cold engine starts were fine. Engine coolant temp sensor was busted and Jeep got rich mixture all the time

Latest posts

Members online