Weird Thing under Dash

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EvilSnipa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a used 2002 Jeep Liberty about 5 years ago.And while i was adding Floor lights cause for some reason there was only the front dome and rear dome and i just wanted more lighting. But anyway i noticed this black box with some of the wires zip tied under the dash. I'm figuring it was a GPS tracker so the repo man could find it. If thats what it is i want to pull it out,but just wanted to make sure before i do. And also its power wire is hooked into the OBD plug under the dash. Here are a few pics i took.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Cherrie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First picture is inline fuse. I can't really tell what the second picture is. I'm on a cell phone so small picture. I'd leave it until you know what it is. Doesn't look like a repo item.
I had alarm in my V10 and the motion sensor had a "this side" kind of sticker.
Do you have a hitch? Some brake controllers had an up and down too.

Handyd

Reaction score
Evilsnipa,
On the black box, it looks as if you only have the red and black wire loom, and the yellow...does that yellow wire just wrap around and around then just end? It other words it's not connected to anything? If so it would appear to be a remote antenna wire possibly?

theroofable

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats probably powering your steering wheel or spark plugs most likely. If you take out the fuse your warranty will be void too. Use extreme caution when touching wires as to not get electrocuted. There could be a break in the insulation, you wouldn't want 110v going to your hand.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could also be a transponder that aliens planted in your car. Have you noticed any strange pod like looking things hidden in the back?

02blue

Comfortably numb
Reaction score
Probably the transmogrifier. You've got yourself a transformer! :signs8:

Seriously, I couldn't find one on my 02. I'm going with the antenna booster.

Neal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably a flux capacitor for going back to the future

EvilSnipa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I took a few more pics.Like Handyd said the yellow wire was just wrapped around in a circle connected to nothing. The only other wires are a Red and black, Power and Ground. They are sliced in to the OBD plug .The Power wire is in pin 16= Fused (B+) And the black is in pin 4= Chassis ground. The black box has a red light on it and a green that flashes randomly. the box just says how it applies to the fCC and is not harmful bah bah . But any Idea what it is? cant be a antenna booster its not hooked to the radio at all,plus my reception is not all that great. S/N SNMTN1129237P Just would like to know what it is and if i can remove it. Thanks for everyone that replied!

Last edited:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
...the box just says how it applies to the fCC...

What's the FCC ID Number? Those can be looked up and will tell you exactly what it is. I used to have to do it with obscure computer parts all the time.

Cherrie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Red and green light? My alarm had those, but way more wires.

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just pull the fuse and see its not like its completing a circuit just feeds off the ground and hot. looks like a security FOB for a security gate or a security door like for a parking lot or parking garage.

02redKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First thought after seeing it is a remote control for a garage door. Does anyone know what the thing from Progressive insurance looks like? May be one of those? Highly doubt it though. I thought those plugged into the OBD connector temporarily and then you send it back in after driving for a month, to see if you get a discount.