Weird Thing under Dash

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you tried a bar code scan most cell phones have apps for bar code readers.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know what the thing from Progressive insurance looks like? May be one of those? Highly doubt it though. I thought those plugged into the OBD connector temporarily and then you send it back in after driving for a month, to see if you get a discount.

Right, those things plug into the ALDL port. I'd rather have higher rates than let an insurance company know how I drive, especially if there's a crash.

EvilSnipa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like tjkj2002 Said It Seemed Weird to me why they would splice into that plug when the fuse box is the same distance away on the other side.But that was why i asked you guys before Messing with it. Thanks for all the replies!

EvilSnipa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or he could just give the FCC ID and know for sure. :emotions33:

OET -- FCC ID Search

There is no FCC numbers. The only FCC number is where it says it aplies with part 15. And the S/N i gave gets me nowhere on Google search. So i just unplugged it and tossed it in the back. If its something important i'll find out one way or another lol. But I'm really thinking it was to a gate or garage door at one time.

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow a dealer installed it like that. Did they do it for lot theft?

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats probably powering your steering wheel or spark plugs most likely. If you take out the fuse your warranty will be void too. Use extreme caution when touching wires as to not get electrocuted. There could be a break in the insulation, you wouldn't want 110v going to your hand.

It's official, someone dumber than Obama exists!

EvilSnipa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well my first thought was to ask you guys. But after all the post i realized it was just in mine. So i call the dealer i got it from and yes they installed it. He says its a mobile GPS tracker. I asked him about the how its installed using the DLC plug. He sounded shocked and said that it never should have been hooked up like that and that he fired his electrician 3 years ago cause he was eating pills.This is a private dealer that deals in mostly jeeps. Thanks for everyone's reply's

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remove the gps. The dealership does not have a legal right to install an undisclosed gps transmitter in property that is no longer theirs, payments or not.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Remove the gps. The dealership does not have a legal right to install an undisclosed gps transmitter in property that is no longer theirs, payments or not.
Actually if you financed it your bank can authorize(more like demand it) it without your knowledge,mainly used on high risk loans, since technically the bank owns it till you pay it off.I installed many similar GPS tracking units when I worked at a dealership.Had to do it after hours with no one present and use different locations everytime.

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually if you financed it your bank can authorize(more like demand it) it without your knowledge,mainly used on high risk loans, since technically the bank owns it till you pay it off.I installed many similar GPS tracking units when I worked at a dealership.Had to do it after hours with no one present and use different locations everytime.

Proof of shady business practice. That is 100% illegal. No disclosure of tracking upon your person or vehicle is an offense without a FEDERAL warrant.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting subject. As of January 2012, the issue of a warrant needing to be issued only pertains to law enforcement use, because by law doing that is considered a "search". However, if you own the car, it's perfectly legal to install a GPS device. Even though it's legal, a financed car might be seen as a gray area because you technically own the car you're making payments on, as long as you are keeping up with the payments (the same as mortgaging a house). Whereas a leased car isn't yours, essentially you're just renting it (like an apartment). A GPS device creates the opportunity for abuse; getting used the wrong way, as in stalking someone. But with the amount of loan defaults out there, I can't blame lending institutions for wanting to be able to track down a (hidden) car should the payments stop coming in. I'm sure someone sooner or later will challenge that one in court.

Last edited:

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The legality of it would be more reasonably argued if the person defaulting payment had a leg to stand on in court.

I don't condone defaulting payments. Matter of fact, the lack of responsibility people feel they have nowadays is appalling, and people who default on any payments are trash in my books...I haven't taken a loan on anything in my life, save federal aide for school.

The gps allows for abuse of the system used to repossess. It could be used for more bad than good. It is NOT legal to track someone's whereabouts without full disclosure. This is what the gps permits

Last edited:

EvilSnipa

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, i have had it paid off a few years now anyway and i have It disconnected. It is kinda cool though, Reading a little about it said it works off of cell towers. I opened it up and it has a sim card like a cell phone.