Weird coincidence or did I mess something up?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KJ zGal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So I changed the spark plugs in my Liberty tonight, just like I've done before, had no problems, hooked everything back up, started her up, runs fine, drives fine...a few hours later, driving it back to my aunt's house:

Air bag light, check engine light, oil pressure light, sentry key light, fuel light, followed by "no bus" under the odometer. All my gauges drop to 0 but the KJ is just plodding along like usual with no evident mechanical problems. All the lights but the key light went off when I pulled in the driveway, and the "no bus" message disappeared too.

I read some other places this could be the crankshaft position sensor or something going to the PCM (whatever that is). Or, did I just forget to hook something back up? All I unhooked was the negative battery terminal and the boots...and I already checked to make sure the battery cable wasn't loose, which it's not. What the heck? I'm gonna try disconnecting the battery cable for a little while in the morning and seeing if that clears things up. Any ideas in the meantime though? 137k miles and a 260 mile road trip ahead of me tomorrow evening, and since I'm driving alone I would rather like to have my vehicle running properly...lol

Porkchop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would check the battery and cables first. Make sure you clean pos and neg cables and install correctly. I also would put the battery on a charger and after that do a load test on it.

KJ zGal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So today I ran the codes and got a P1686 No SKIM bus. None of the dash lights were on when I started her up to run the codes. I didn't clear them, I just disconnected the battery again, left it for a few minutes, reconnected it, tried to start her up, stalled out, then she started the second time. No codes were found by the reader this time and all the lights were still off, gauges all fine, seems to be working alright. Again...what the heck?! And, is this going to affect drivability?

Last edited: