Water Pump - How Long Do they Normally Last?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Simple way, get an antifreeze tester and check to see how much is in it. Tells you how cold it will protect the engine etc

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Yup $6
51882[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

Even after flushing with straight water much remains in the block, heater core etc.
I think there are core block drain plugs (where the block heater goes for draining) but who wants to do that right?
The problem now becomes do you really want to have tap water in the system where Distilled water only should be used?
This is why a proper flush is done at dealer on recirculating machine and you will have the correct mixture and not tap water.
I only have had the dealer do my coolant on their machines.
On any previous vehicles I have done with water flushes, where you have run water through for 45 minutes, started engine in between, and continued regular water flush & draining though rad drain...
I only topped up using full strength coolant not any 50-50 mixed stuff. Ya & we use HOAT.
Once it was filled it was close to -40 protection, using full strength coolant. (dealer hoat is full strength not pre-mixed)

Attachments

• An%20AntifreezeCoolantTester.jpg
    An%20AntifreezeCoolantTester.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes there is a test device for ethylene glycol (HOAT is mainly ethylene glycol) with colored floats in it that gives % coolant / water based on density. It doesn't cost too much.
I had seen those years ago but had no idea if they worked with modern coolant. On my "to buy" list. :)

From my experience, you can't get it empty by just draining. So I usually flush it with water a few times and let it come up to operating temp each time and turn on the heat to ensure I'm flushing the whole system.
That's what I do as well.

Then since the system is 14 quarts total I believe, I put in 7 quarts of G05 and top off with water. That gives 50/50.
That is a very good idea. I've been just trying to make sure I added more coolant than water to make up for the water trapped in the system. I'm going to do it your way from here on out. :favorites13:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
You guys get all the deals! Canadians get special sale pricing $6 +tax.
(ripp off) pricing oh + tx eek.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...and it had traces of some kind of sealant all around it other than the gasket. I didn't use any sealant on the new one, just the gasket, should I be ok?

I also tried flushing it to remove the sealant shavings by adding 2 gal of distilled water and getting it to operational temp., let it cool off and drained it. But I don't think I got everything out...

Somebody has been there before and wrongly used an RTV sealant, which could explain the leak. Yes you're ok now.
What I like to do after a new engine build, is drape a nylon stocking over the upper radiator neck, then install the upper hose like normal. After the first run around town, remove the upper radiator hose and the nylon. You'd be surprised to see what crud the nylons filter out.

John3seventeen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Somebody has been there before and wrongly used an RTV sealant, which could explain the leak. Yes you're ok now.
What I like to do after a new engine build, is drape a nylon stocking over the upper radiator neck, then install the upper hose like normal. After the first run around town, remove the upper radiator hose and the nylon. You'd be surprised to see what crud the nylons filter out.

Thats what I use to filter my used antifreeze when I do my semi-annual radiator swap:Stupid Me:

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats what I use to filter my used antifreeze when I do my semi-annual radiator swap

If you get the high end nylons, you could use the cotton panel crotch part for micro-fine filtering. Keeps the fluid fresher too. lol
I use the leg portion for the radiator filter.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
You guys are just looking for an excuse to go into a Victoria's Secret and "look around". :roflsquared:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I saw Cotton Panel Crotch open for David Bowie back at the old MSG.