Washer pump issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I've this strange issue with the KJ. So I'll go to turn on the front windshield washers, I'll hear the pump but nothing comes out. Go to do the rear, takes 5-10 seconds but then it works. Go back to do the front and it works perfectly fine. Sometimes though either won't work even going back and forth between them. I can always hear the pump though. Nothing is frozen, my washer fluid is rated to -20F and it'll do this even at 40F. Any ideas?
Thanks!

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The pump will run in one direction to pump to the front and then rotates in the other direction to pump to the rear. there are some plastic valves involved in the piping to make sure it can only go in the correct direction and I believe to stop the water flowing back and picking up air pockets.

It sounds like some of the valves are blocked or defective so you are picking up air pockets which take a while to clear out.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
So what be the next step in replacing parts? I'd like to fix it soon...it's become interesting with the snow and ice and not being able to always have washerfluid.

Thanks!

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seems like the only serviceable parts would be the washer motor or the reservoir itself. Sort of assume the valves mentioned above would be part of the washer motor or the tubing right near the pump so gotta take a look. Could try to remove and inspect, clean if necessary. Pump is only a 29 dollar part from Moparonlineparts if it's gummed up inside. Reservoir isn't available from them but Mopar from Rockauto is 72$. I'd be leaning toward the motor and something (tubing) being gummed up like mentioned above. Tubing is likely something you could pick up at those "stores that must not be named". :icon_lol:

nullptr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I'd check the pump. It should be part number #05161319AA, which is, 'PUMP, Windshield Washer, Dual Outlet'. Be careful to not hook it up backwards! Would suck to get it all back together only to find out the rear squirts when you try to do the fronts. :)

Latest posts

Members online