warped rotors...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tbaldridge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's time for new pads and rotors...they are obviously warped due to the severe pulse when braking. It's been acting up for about a week now. The pads (bendix) only have about 7,000 miles on them and I had the rotors turned before I stuck them on. I had to drive through some serious rain last week and they have been pulsing ever since. So I guess the sudden temp. change caused them to warp a bit while driving. I could be wrong, but who knows...

Anywho, I know this maintenence is premature but I am just going to go ahead and put new pads and rotors on so I dont have to worry about it. I'm wanting to put a set of drilled and slotted rotors on....

So, my question is...what type/ brands of rotors & pads do you guys recommend? Just wanted to ask the jeep fam. before I went shopping :)

Thanks in advance!

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Axe the drilled rotors,they will only lessen your braking(on a Jeep anyways) and crack.Slotted rotors have helped me,haven't warped my Powerslot's and I'm very ******* my brakes(45,000+miles).I'd recommend Powerslot rotors,the cryo treated ones are better,and Napa Ceramic pads,they've been slowing down my junk for 45,000+ miles now and still look brand new.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
I cannot make a recommendation on which rotors to purchase as replacements, because I have not needed to have them replaced yet. Ours pulsed also and Chrysler/Jeep dealer said they were suitable for machining. (At least once from what others here tell me.)
When I had the whole brake system serviced all is good now. However, I have noticed an excessive amount of brake dust on the front wheels.
When it is time to replace the front rotors, I'll go for some slotted ones and also have the calipers serviced for piece of mind. (If my cripple but allows I'd like to do it myself to save some money.)
Non the less, You will soon have suggestions as to what you can replace them with.

Ryan.

sleeve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would just get a new set of Napa Pads and Napa solid disk rotors..

Cheaper, and they'll work just as fine as slotted units.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would just get a new set of Napa Pads and Napa solid disk rotors..

Cheaper, and they'll work just as fine as slotted units.

I agree. NAPA has pretty good stuff. It is either that or spring for the slotted rotors and ceramic pads like tjkj suggested.

From the way you explained what happened, it sounds like when your rotors were turned they were then barely in spec. When they do that they take material off the rotors and then what happens is they don't dissipatate heat as well. Then when you happened to heat them up (using your brakes) and went through the water they must have got a sleight warp in them. They don't make rotors as good as they used to.....cheaper metal and not as thick.

Just my opinion.

Dave

sleeve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really, rotors should just be thrown away and replaced anyway. Most rotors are designed to be one time use these days, which is something that I didn't even know until TJKJ told me [it really makes sense though]

tbaldridge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Really, rotors should just be thrown away and replaced anyway. Most rotors are designed to be one time use these days, which is something that I didn't even know until TJKJ told me [it really makes sense though]

Well, I have certainly learned my lesson! idea.gif I will never turn another set of rotors. When I replaced the pads I thought about buying new rotors but decided to turn them instead. Just trying to cut corners I guess!

...shame on me! I know what I will be doing this weekend :)

sleeve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, I didn't even know that either... But that's why these boards are here. Members helping members.