WARN Stubby Bumper Proposal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

warnKJ

Reaction score
Hey guys, new here as far as having a profile, but I've dug deep in these forums for years now(always love your guys' innovation).

Anyway, I'm currently working at Warn and wanted to know how many people would be interested in this idea.

I drive a KJ and have been disappointed/frustrated that the only option nowadays is the ARB bumper. So, I thought, why not turn one of my favorite bumpers into something that can fit onto my KJ? That's where I thought of simply making some brackets for the JK Stubby Bumper that would secure onto the KJ stock steel support(after removing the plastic trim and trimming the sides of it down).

My question for you guys is: how many of you might be interested in these brackets that would allow you to wear a JK Stubby Bumper? I already plan to make myself a set soon, but am just wondering if you guys might want me to send it through the process to be buyable by you guys.

Some additional specs:

The bumper is somewhere around $400 right now, and I believe these brackets would just become an option within that price, since they normally come with brackets for the JK.

The widest points of the bumper reach from center-to-center of the headlights.

The height of it is pretty much the same as the stock plastic bumper.

The height of the bull bar(optional) sits right above the front of the hood.

This setup would easily handle a 12,000lb winch.

I also have a Patriot that I would potentially be able to have this(or something similar) done for, and could put it into production as well.

I don't think they will let me fab up an entire bumper for an older vehicle, however, since you have to make weld fixtures and such.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I have heavy duty brackets drawn up to mount TJ and possibly JK bumpers
But a few may buy , some wanted me share my specs ( and of course for free ) and some even thought 50 bucks was too high.
As always your results may vary
But another thing I never found a bumper that I liked well enough from a TJ or JK that I would bolt on mine, another reason the project is on a shelf in my garage.
Most too wide/ not wide enough , too thick ( height wise )

But what bumper are you thinking post some pics of it with dimensions
I could see a bumper maybe 6-7 at most inches high, half of what a KJ bumper is.

But throw some things out there , people are wanting something and may settle for anything different

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First off, thanks for joining and reaching out! Props to you and Warn!

I think there would be a lot of interest, especially at that price point for sure. Can't wait to see what develops!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Reread through so the bumper you are proposing only comes out half way on the headlights?
Are there others that would be more full width that Warn makes currently?
For me , I hate seeing the frame section that sticks down below the body/headlights etc with a stubby on a KJ
Also some other things to think about
02-4 one front end style and have to find a way to have turn signals
05-07 other body style, different grill etc
same mounts though of course
But selling something like this to the general public can be a PITA since not all would be able to fab up turn signals maybe or even do some plastic cutting

No way am I trying to say your idea is not something that may take off
Just things that will come up as people think about it more

angelis_digital

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for reaching out brother. I have an '04 so I would need a turn signal solution but https://www.warn.com/truck/mounting-systems/rock_crawler_stubby_bumper_for_jeep_jk_tj.jsp if this is the bumper, I'd like to see it on a KJ. I'm planning on spending close to as much to mount a winch on my bumper so anything that accomplishes this at this price is a great thing. The ARB is too much for me to put into my ride. This price is good. I'd have to see it in action. Thanks.

angelis_digital

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I may have a turn signal solution so, besides doing a photoshop I'd like to see it mounted. My idea is to put two amber lights on top left and right and wire them in. It'll work.

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for reaching out brother. I have an '04 so I would need a turn signal solution but https://www.warn.com/truck/mounting-systems/rock_crawler_stubby_bumper_for_jeep_jk_tj.jsp if this is the bumper, I'd like to see it on a KJ. I'm planning on spending close to as much to mount a winch on my bumper so anything that accomplishes this at this price is a great thing. The ARB is too much for me to put into my ride. This price is good. I'd have to see it in action. Thanks.

Man I hope that IS NOT the bumper that he is talking about

angelis_digital

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking at it now with the differences of the '04 and after, I don't think it would look so good on an earlier KJ. I need pictures but the grill dips down in the middle and it would leave negative space. The ARB is pricey but handles the situation really well on the '02-'04...

krisP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
depending on how it comes out looking. ive never seen a non kj bumper look good IMO....maybe im picky

jeeptorino68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i would say something that is more worthwhile/more owners would go for would be a set of reasonably priced tow hook brackets.
the stock ones (MOPAR) are fine, but expensive and im sure becoming less easy to find. the trailer hitch stinger homemade ones are again...fine but...

a beefy set of tow hook brackets, priced less than MOPAR that use standard hooks would be awesome...

also, what about skid plates? cheap, and easy to figure out...there are not a lot of options out there. these would sell well..

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
warnKJ
Have you sat down and really looked at the front of a KJ with the bumper cover off yet ?
Legit question since its NOTHING like a TJ/JK etc
So just wondering
The ELITE SERIES FRONT BUMPER may look OK on the 05-07s if the width is close enough to match up, but of course would look like crap on the 02-04s
Same with the ROCK CRAWLER FRONT BUMPER
But the stubby one , no

May I suggest that you make the brackets up, mount it on whatever KJ you have and then post up some pictures.
Right now all we can do is sort of close one eye, look cross eyed with the other and sort of try to envision what it may look like.

We've been down this road before with companies over the last 15 years or so , ......we're still waiting on the ones from 2005

warnKJ

Reaction score
I've only done an EXTREMELY ROUGH photoshop job from my phone when I first thought of this a couple weeks ago, so bare with me. But yes, it is THAT stubby bumper, it's about the same height as the 2004 bumper. Yes I have seen the inside of the bumper, and I've been trying to figure out a way to make a bracket for the grill style that steps down so that the bumper is flush with the parts below the head lights. As far as blinkers, I just planned to install amber round lights in the cutouts and wire them into the blinker cables. As far as skids and such, that's less of a potential, since it would take a little more work to send that through the manufacturing process. I haven't looked at the dimensions of the other bumpers yet, but I'll take a look at the prints tomorrow and see if any would sit a little nicer(although I think the JK stubby will end up looking quite clean all said and done).

EDIT: My images won't upload because they're too big so I'll have to reduce them on my computer tomorrow... and I thought I should say I have an 04 Sport model just so you guys know what my initial vision is going off of.

Cheers

Last edited:

Jim McClain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
EDIT: My images won't upload because they're too big so I'll have to reduce them on my computer tomorrow...
I'd be happy to host your photos for you, no charge, no obligation. Small pics...:shakehead: please don't do that.

I'm difinitely interested in an after market solution for a front bumper that isn't the ARB. But I don't do rock crawling and I have no desire to expose that much of the front of my KJ. I prefer something that will at least come out to the center of the tires, or even the outer sidewalls.

I don't understand why a universal bracket couldn't be fabricated that would allow several makes and models of bumpers to be installed. I wish there was a list of bumpers that met the dimensions I suggested. I already went to a guy where I live to see if he would be willing to fabricate some brackets. He seems interested, but his motivation is low and my wallet ain't that deep, so we haven't moved forward.

Anyone who has followed the mods I've done to my KJ can tell you that I am willing to spend the money for quality product. Me and my KJ are vain though - it's gotta look good. I can't envision a stubby bumper looking good on my KJ. But if you come up with something that will cover more width and the ability to mount a winch (a 10K Zeon would be really nice), I'd be making room in my budget.

Jim

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I've only done an EXTREMELY ROUGH photoshop job from my phone when I first thought of this a couple weeks ago, so bare with me. But yes, it is THAT stubby bumper, it's about the same height as the 2004 bumper. Yes I have seen the inside of the bumper, and I've been trying to figure out a way to make a bracket for the grill style that steps down so that the bumper is flush with the parts below the head lights. As far as blinkers, I just planned to install amber round lights in the cutouts and wire them into the blinker cables. As far as skids and such, that's less of a potential, since it would take a little more work to send that through the manufacturing process. I haven't looked at the dimensions of the other bumpers yet, but I'll take a look at the prints tomorrow and see if any would sit a little nicer(although I think the JK stubby will end up looking quite clean all said and done).

EDIT: My images won't upload because they're too big so I'll have to reduce them on my computer tomorrow... and I thought I should say I have an 04 Sport model just so you guys know what my initial vision is going off of.

Cheers

The issue with a stubby bumper is what the area looks like under the headlights ( behind the turn signals on the 02-04)
Like I said before I have the patterns for a universal mount but have never found a bumper that would cover those areas and look good. A stubby just does not look good on a KJ .
Plus it does not need to be as large as a KJ bumper cover , under the headlight area of the 02-04 has to be 7.25 -7.5 to cover all the ugly framework.
Still don't know what year you have but remove the bumper cover and you'll see what I am talking about .
I have pics but , waiting to see what you find.
Rough photoshop with the bumper cover still intact won't get it done to really see

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm difinitely interested in an after market solution for a front bumper that isn't the ARB. But I don't do rock crawling and I have no desire to expose that much of the front of my KJ. I prefer something that will at least come out to the center of the tires, or even the outer sidewalls.
And that is what poses a huge problem with TJ/JK bumpers
I don't understand why a universal bracket couldn't be fabricated that would allow several makes and models of bumpers to be installed. I wish there was a list of bumpers that met the dimensions I suggested. I already went to a guy where I live to see if he would be willing to fabricate some brackets. He seems interested, but his motivation is low and my wallet ain't that deep, so we haven't moved forward.

They all mount the same so thats not an issue at all The mounting system for a TJ/JK bumper is very simple and our front frame work where you would mount it is very close

Jim

I've spent hours and hours looking, measuring, even seeing if you cut a TJ bumper apart and then weld in some extra if it would look good

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Lot of ugliness to cover up from grill area to outside edge that stubbies leave exposed
You must be registered for see images attach

With Rock Lizard
area that is marked in red is area I am talking about, uncovered just a lot of ugly that shows, that is why a full width bumper looks best on a KJ ( IMO ) And no you can not just cut that all out.

on the 03 I have the outside area cut as short as it can be with out exposing the frame work, so any bumper has to be this tall to hide it

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Man all I can say once you get past a certain height and get older that big ARB is sure nice,makes a great work platform.

SO very very true, but you getting older Troy.....come on now still a young one:happy175::happy175: !
Replaced spark plugs in the 03, still miss the ARB to have somewhere to lay tools, should of never sold it
Nothing better

Latest posts

Members online