Warn 8000LB Winch is it enough?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've the M8000 bolted into my ARB. So far, with mud (the sticky kind) up to the door sills, I've managed to pull myself free without incident. Figure the KJ weighs in at 4700ish lbs, so an 8000 lbs capacity should be cool. I want to try the whole winching my KJ into the air like the Dutch dude in "The Gods Must Be Crazy". Just have to find a tree big enough!! With a pulley block it virtually doubles the winches pulling capacity. Oh, and because I was in line behind a full size Blazer on 40"s, it was me who got the honour of pulling him out when he got stuck. The Warn M8000 pulls like a champ. Bigger is cool but I'm not sure if it's completely neccesary. My opinion, thats it.

Just be sure that the shipping isn't going to put the price higher than what a local guy could sell it for. I'm all for saving a buck but I also like to support local businesses. They're the guys that keep us employed!

Last edited:

blue_kjR417

Platinum Renegade
Reaction score
I've the M8000 bolted into my ARB. So far, with mud (the sticky kind) up to the door sills, I've managed to pull myself free without incident. Figure the KJ weighs in at 4700ish lbs, so an 8000 lbs capacity should be cool. I want to try the whole winching my KJ into the air like the Dutch dude in "The Gods Must Be Crazy". Just have to find a tree big enough!! With a pulley block it virtually doubles the winches pulling capacity. Oh, and because I was in line behind a full size Blazer on 40"s, it was me who got the honour of pulling him out when he got stuck. The Warn M8000 pulls like a champ. Bigger is cool but I'm not sure if it's completely neccesary. My opinion, thats it.

Just be sure that the shipping isn't going to put the price higher than what a local guy could sell it for. I'm all for saving a buck but I also like to support local businesses. They're the guys that keep us employed!

well thats better feedback than i expected but the shipping is free on that one i linked

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For $10 more(and still free shipping) you get the better version of the M8000 with 20' more cable.

http://www.winchdepot.com/Winches-W...8&t_s=300&t_pt=100702&t_pl=6407&t_pn=WAR26502

The "rule of thumb" is to buy a winch with a capacity of 1.5 times the weight of your vehicle so an 8,000 lb one should do. You are wise to choose a Warn rather than a cheap knockoff. I have a Warn M8000 in my YJ and it hasn't failed me yet. I've seen a few Champion's and other winches fail. If you can find one with a wireless remote that would be a bonus.

I agree that you should buy that second winch pointed out buy tjkj2002. For one it has an extra 100 ft of cable which you will appreciate when you're stuck and it isn't eBay. I despise eBay and I'm very suspicious of the stuff for sale there. You may buy a winch from them and realize only when you get it that it's refurbished.

When you do get your new bumper & winch please post some pics, I'm positive ther's a few of us that would like to see them.

blue_kjR417

Platinum Renegade
Reaction score
The "rule of thumb" is to buy a winch with a capacity of 1.5 times the weight of your vehicle so an 8,000 lb one should do. You are wise to choose a Warn rather than a cheap knockoff. I have a Warn M8000 in my YJ and it hasn't failed me yet. I've seen a few Champion's and other winches fail. If you can find one with a wireless remote that would be a bonus.

I agree that you should buy that second winch pointed out buy tjkj2002. For one it has an extra 100 ft of cable which you will appreciate when you're stuck and it isn't eBay. I despise eBay and I'm very suspicious of the stuff for sale there. You may buy a winch from them and realize only when you get it that it's refurbished.

When you do get your new bumper & winch please post some pics, I'm positive ther's a few of us that would like to see them.

See I've always heard atleast 2x's your vehicles weight and my rig ways just over 4500lbs so i was afraid the M8000 wouldn't be enough. When I think winches I think nothing but Warn. Even at a young age I know that you get what you pay for. I will definitely be getting the 100ft cable model instead. I will post pics as soon as I get the setup done, but it will be a little while into the summer because I'm going to get the lift first.

ridenby

Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe I missed something,the E-bay winch can be had with 100ft of line with a roller fairlead or 80ft with a howse fairlead.Just saying.

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you can find one with a wireless remote that would be a bonus.

Agreed, the wireless winch controller is the *******. I like it lots. I don't have to fetch, plug, use, stow the wired one. And with a 50ish' range, the wireless controller lets you get about 38' further from your jeep and still control the winch.