VSS caused stalling?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Donn224197

Reaction score
hello, i just purchased my first Jeep ever two weeks ago and i'm trying my best to not let this taint my thoughts on it so please help me if you can.
driving today i looked down to notice it seems i'm doing 0 mph while passing someone... to add to it when i popped into neutral to coast to a stop it stalled out. started right back up no problem. not it does it every time i stop or coast. starts and idles like a champ after though.
taken a quick look i received a P0500 code and from what i gather is a circuit fault in the diff speed sensor?
my question is are the few posts i've read about this right? Jeep really has the leads running around the brake hard line? that it get's rubbed open sooner or later? that this can cause stalling (this one, seeing as i'm a ford guy, i work at a ford machine shop, and having factory training as well find hard to believe). i know that different makers do things differently, but VSS caused stalling?
ANY help with this would be amazing, thanks.
Donn
03 Liberty Renegade.

Donn224197

Reaction score
Yes the rear sensor on the diff can cause vehicle stalling as the PCM needs that input to control the IAC.

well like i said i've had worlds of ford training but know not much past basic command structure programming for anything else.
i find that crazy but weirder things have happened. thanks man! from what i read i just need to patch the wire and i'll be gold.

rockymountain

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I rerouted mine to go over the brake line, not under it. It's a lot worse with a lift if you don't move it. At least mine was.

fords have a maf, kj doesn't. One huge difference.

Donn224197

Reaction score
I rerouted mine to go over the brake line, not under it. It's a lot worse with a lift if you don't move it. At least mine was.

fords have a maf, kj doesn't. One huge difference.

point taken, i stopped being lazy and crawled under it at last friday and discovered the retaining clip is broken and the connector just popped out of the sensor, so i cleaned both, connected, and then zipped tired the hell out of it haha.
i know i'll have to fix it better later, but i'll save that for after the lift kit. >;-)