Valve cover gasket replacement aftermath

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

neilbedwell

Reaction score
Just replaced the passenger side valve cover gasket on my 2004 Limited. I have driven it twice for around 20 miles total since the repair. Still stinks like the Exxon Valdez (that's what my wife calls my little Heep). Anybody care to comment on how long it took yours to quit stinking? Thanks!!!

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just replaced the passenger side valve cover gasket on my 2004 Limited. I have driven it twice for around 20 miles total since the repair. Still stinks like the Exxon Valdez (that's what my wife calls my little Heep). Anybody care to comment on how long it took yours to quit stinking? Thanks!!!

You'll need more than a couple of short trips like that. I'd give it 100 miles or so - preferably in one shot. The short trips don't allow the cat to get hot enough to burn off the old oil.

Bob

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score

Clean the old oil off of everything good with engine degreaser
Smell should be gone in just a couple of miles if done right

teeje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It will take a good 100 miles. Do it in one shot like he said. I had a brand new engine put in with defective valve cover gaskets and took 3 days for the smell to go away

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twowings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Be sure you used the correct torque value on the valve cover bolts....remember, it's listed in INCH-LBS...

Members online

No members online now.