VA Inspection Laws, etc.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Since I am about to become a legal resident of VA, what are some things I need to be prepared for when getting inspected? I grew up in Arlington but have been away for over ten years and have no idea what they like to catch you for these days.

On a related note, I've been itching for some roof-rack mounted off road lights for some time. I read the laws and am more confused than ever. (It's all in cop-speak, which I am not fluent in.) Do they need to be covered? I will have them on a separate switch so they will be coming on only when I am off road and turn them on, i.e., not automatically with high or low beams, etc. I also wanted some work lights on the rear of the roof rack for when I'm camping. Are those legit? They'd be wired independently and have their own switch, just like the front set.

It took me two years to figure out the law in Ohio. Then I moved... :icon_lol:

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Side note: I'll be passing through on Saturday the 23rd :D Only thing I know is to take down my radar detector. Those are a big no-no in your state. :thumbsdown:

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's what I use as a guide::

Virginia Lift Laws | Vehicle Modification Rules

Two headlights, two fog lights, two spots lights, no maximum height. Sounds pretty workable to me, and just make sure everything else is covered when on-road.

So that summary says the maximum number of spot lights is 2. Does that mean that's the max that can be installed or the max that can be turned on? My Renegade has the factory light bar with 4 lights; do two of them need to be covered when I drive through Virginia? I don't often drive through Virginia except for a stretch on I-77 on my way to the Carolina coast but overzealous staties always make me nervous.

I'm with Prof - my "legalese" is a little rusty :emotions34:

Bob

Renedave

Reaction score
With four lights you can claim two are spot, two are fog, so cops are pretty lenient about it. For inspection I would have the factory included covers installed, though.

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So that summary says the maximum number of spot lights is 2. Does that mean that's the max that can be installed or the max that can be turned on? My Renegade has the factory light bar with 4 lights; do two of them need to be covered when I drive through Virginia? I don't often drive through Virginia except for a stretch on I-77 on my way to the Carolina coast but overzealous staties always make me nervous.

I'm with Prof - my "legalese" is a little rusty :emotions34:

Bob

"In addition to headlights and tail lights, vehicles in Virginia are allowed to have extra lights installed. The maximum number of lights that can be turned on at the front of a vehicle while driving is 4."
So headlights is 2, factory running/fog lights (if you have them on) is another 2, light bar is 4 more. If you want to run the light bar, you'd have to rewire the lights to separate two from two, and not have the running lights on. I'm actually surprised they don't have a regulation for high mounted lights, as those are way more blinding than having the headlight brights on, which that alone can get you a ticket (here at least).
Here in Illnoise, any lights above a certain measurement, which is in the bumper zone, are supposed to be covered. My light bar covers are MIA, but the cops don't bother me.

twowings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Curious laws...if the lights are turned off while on the highway, how is it any different than carrying a box of unmounted lights? Is it required to removed mounted lights when entering Virginia? Feel free to jump in here, Prof, as you are on intimate terms with Virginia...

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Curious laws...if the lights are turned off while on the highway, how is it any different than carrying a box of unmounted lights?

If you mean our laws, because with them uncovered and off, you still have the potential to blind someone by turning them on.
I liken it to the difference between carrying a gun stored inside the Jeep vs being on a roof mounted turret. ;)

twowings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm...so in essence, put on your condom BEFORE you leave the house, huh? :mwah1:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Don't know how much they have changed over the years in Va. but back few years ago my buddy Fred the Head moved down there with his old 65 Ford station wagon , had to get rid of the headers, dual exhaust, Holley carb , had to lower it back down since he had it lifted 70s style in the back etc , basically they wanted it back to the way it bone stock .
When the renegades came out with the 4 light setup none could be sold in West Virginia so that is why some rene's don't have the light bar

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I have no intention of turning anything on unless I'm off road, just want to have them there for when I am and need them. The ones I have been looking at do not include covers and it's doubtful I could find any that fit.

I don't think I'll get one, but what if I had a big-**** LED lightbar on the roof rack? I don't think I've ever seen one of those have a cover. Does that count as one light or 50, depending on the number of LEDs?

I see Jeeps (and other brands) around here with all sorts of lights on them. I'm guessing that if I didn't do anything idiotic (like turning them on when I shouldn't) I would be fine, though I do have a fatalistic attitude about this. If one guy out of a hundred got a hefty fine it would be me. :emotions34:

I'm going to see what the guy at the inspection station tells me. I will be royally cheesed if it turns out I can't do it at all. My grand dream is to do some wilderness camping and whatnot, going well offroad. What would they expect you to do, pull off the road, jump out in the dark and bolt your lights on, then reverse the process when getting back on the road?

John3seventeen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just google the inspection laws - it's what I did for PA. And I have a solution for a cover for a big **** led light bar - but it'll cost ya lol.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
I have Googled it. The clearest I found was the one Renedave linked to. I'm with TwoBobsKJ, though. It doesn't differentiate between off and on. Ignoring the already-mandatory headlights and taillights, then taking into account my OEM fogs, one interpretation would be that I can add two more lights max and have the whole works on at once. Another would be that I could add sixteen additional lights, provided only one pair was on at a time. A third interpretation would be that if Sheriff Taylor tells Barney that there is a budget shortfall then I am screwed no matter what.

John3seventeen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In Pa you can have 4 on at a time - 2 low beam headlights and two fogs -or 2 High beam headlights and two driving lights. It also gives height restrictions for those. Anything else has to be covered while on the road. Anything on the rear is restricted from having the ability to turn on from the drivers area while in forward motion. If they are roof mounted but switched from the backups they are legal and don't have to be covered.

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks, John. That definitely alters my options when I go to buy. I'd rather pay more for the lights than pay it to the man via a ticket.

I do wonder what they expect you to do with an LED lightbar, though. :shrug:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks, John. That definitely alters my options when I go to buy. I'd rather pay more for the lights than pay it to the man via a ticket.

I do wonder what they expect you to do with an LED lightbar, though. :shrug:

pair of big woman's underwear should do the trick in covering them:icon_lol:

John3seventeen

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Duct tape

NOVA Jeepers could probably steer you in the right direction. I met some of them at a show last year and some of them were running double stacks of LEDs on the roof!

Last edited:

profdlp

Counting My Blessings
Staff member
Reaction score
Duct tape

NOVA Jeepers could probably steer you in the right direction. I met some of them at a show last year and some of them were running double stacks of LEDs on the roof!
I will check NOVA Jeepers. I bet the guys with double stacks of LEDs also paid double stacks of money for them. :icon_lol:

Latest posts

Members online