V8 Liberty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BUT: the 3800 is based on the 231 which was based on the 225 which...

...was a factory jeep motor from the mid-60's through '71 after Buick sold the rights to Kaiser. AMC sold the rights to that engine back to GM when they bought jeep for Kaiser.
And the 3.8's have major issues with the intake gaskets leaking,more so for the upper intake's warping on the later GEN's with the plastic manifold.

Any GM v-6 engine,even the 4.3 unless it's the older TBI version,are junk and have major intake leaking issues.But at least they pay good for those repair jobs:D.

fouros

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK so

i have an 04

i would need a 4.7 From a donor GC and a new trans

custom radiator and BCM

what Else

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I see here is: motor mount fitment (doable), trans swap (but the 45rfe or 545rfe, whichever, is a factory fit with the CRD, so basically a FACTORY swap), driveshaft swap, possible rear end (I had an 8-1/4 that lived behind a decent 360 in a Duster, but why push it?), computer mate ups, rad and rad fan, exhaust, front springs/shocks (to handle the extra 60lbs or so). So basically, while you can swap anything into anything (my uncle raced a 55 chevy with a 392 hemi back in the day, and my brother-in-law for some UNGODLY reason put a 318 into a late 70's/early 80's monte carlo), the 4.7 swap WOULD be easier (simply because it is the same engine family) than say a chevy or buick engine. Can we play nice now?

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And the 3.8's have major issues with the intake gaskets leaking,more so for the upper intake's warping on the later GEN's with the plastic manifold.

Any GM v-6 engine,even the 4.3 unless it's the older TBI version,are junk and have major intake leaking issues.But at least they pay good for those repair jobs:D.

Although some do warp most have no issues whatsoever. I heartily disagree on your "junk" comment. 3.1L and 3.4L have known intake leak problems, and basically you'll get coolant on the camshaft and eventually ruin it. Those are fairly few and far between still - my old man has a 3.1L with 140k and it runs like a champ. My brother has a 3.4 with 70k and no issues.

The 3800 is damn bulletproof. Head over to clubgp.com if you want to see what's going on over there, IMO it's ridiculous how stout and how much potential those engines have. How many FWD V6's can run 11.4 at the track and be driven daily. Happens regularly, my supervisor at my last job drove his for a good 5 years and was running 11.42 or so.

130k HARD miles and the only issue I ever had with that engine was a snapped valve spring. That's because I was running high ratio rockers for 25,000 miles on stock springs that had almost 100k on them. Put in some LS1 springs and it was good to go.

What do I know though, I was on that scene for half a decade ;)

Either way, that's fine - I concede, I don't know WTF I am talking about, the 4.7 is easier. Either way, my KJ will be rockin' a 3.7 until the doors fall off and I have to get something new :D

Last edited:

Jeepin05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I gotta agree with Atrus, the 3800 is a great engine. I've had both versions of the series II and they treated me very well, although I've heard about the gasket problems with series II+. I think the series I was ranked in the top 10 when it was being produced.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Although some do warp most have no issues whatsoever. I heartily disagree on your "junk" comment. 3.1L and 3.4L have known intake leak problems, and basically you'll get coolant on the camshaft and eventually ruin it. Those are fairly few and far between still
Some? Fairly few and far between?

Then why do I do at least 1-2 3.1/3.4 intakes a week,not to mention the 1-2 the other tech does,and at least 2 a month for the 3.8 intakes?

Heck some of those vehicles have less then 30,000miles,most are in the 50,000-75,000 miles range.I have not seen one that did not have a intake leak unless it has the new style metal intake gaskets just put on.

I'd like to see the hoops you'd have to go through to try and get a 3.8 installed in a KJ.The 2 most feaseable engine choices are the 4.7 V-8 and the 2.8 CRD.

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like I said, I concede. I apologize for thinking outside the box because lord knows the 4.7 is king. The 3800 is a f-ing **** suitable for use only as a boat anchor. All hail the mighty Hemi, everything pales in comparison.

I know nothing what I am talking about, my man card and wrenches will be turned in immediately. I'll sell of my skids and begin my hobby in knitting or underwater basket weaving.

It's fine, I am wrong, I won't argue about something that I never intend on doing anyways.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Can the 3.7ltr. that is stuffed under the hood from the Chrysler not be built up to put out more horse power/ torque?
I mean... If I can strap a turbo or blower to an A series Mini engine (Actually a tractor engine from Sweden, circa 1950's) and steel crank, etc. etc. etc. and build a mid 10 second car (Ok, NOT cheap but it can be done easily) then i'm sure more stuff will become available for a KJ.
I've seen supercharger available(Just can't remember from what company)
The old saying? How fast you want to go all depends of how much money you have.

I'd rather drop 3-4 large on engine goodies than on a sound system

Atrus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I have heard on here, the 3.7L in it's current state cannot handle boost, you'd need to beef up the pistons. If that's the case, I'd also question the rear end.

A series have a bulletproof rear end unless you go with the very early years with the weak crank.

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I have heard on here, the 3.7L in it's current state cannot handle boost, you'd need to beef up the pistons. If that's the case, I'd also question the rear end.

A series have a bulletproof rear end unless you go with the very early years with the weak crank.

Can the 3.7ltr. that is stuffed under the hood from the Chrysler not be built up to put out more horse power/ torque?
I mean... If I can strap a turbo or blower to an A series Mini engine (Actually a tractor engine from Sweden, circa 1950's) and steel crank, etc. etc. etc. and build a mid 10 second car (Ok, NOT cheap but it can be done easily) then i'm sure more stuff will become available for a KJ.
I've seen supercharger available(Just can't remember from what company)
The old saying? How fast you want to go all depends of how much money you have.

I'd rather drop 3-4 large on engine goodies than on a sound system
I'm more of a naturally aspirated guy myself, I prefer an engine that makes good power without boost (they tend to last longer that way).

ATXKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The pistons have a ring very close to the top - improves emissions - but any increase in pressure - turbo/supercharger/nitrous will break the edge of the piston above the ring (which will kill your cylinder walls)

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems like everyone else has put in their two cents. I might well too. :D

If I were going to go thru the trouble of doing an engine swap, I would go for the biggest engine I could stuff under the hood. The only reason I wouldn't is unless there was a rediculously easy way of swapping in something else such as the 4.7L as TJKJ stated.

As they say...there's no replacement for displacement. :D Go big or go home. ;)

I did see a JK for sale on eBay recently with a "professionally installed" HEMI. Whoever did it made it look right at home.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Hmmm... Get rid of ALL the electrical crap and drop a Buick Grand National into it!
But seriously, pistons and all that other good stuff can be replicated from better material.
As far as natural aspirated compared to forced air induction.
Nothing wrong with a turbo or a blower. Just as reliable.
My old circle of friends all run turbo VW. One a 1.9 ltr. turbo Diesel with over 425,000,000 miles on a stock bottom end and original turbo.
I'd say that is plenty reliable.

pipeliner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My old circle of friends all run turbo VW. One a 1.9 ltr. turbo Diesel with over 425,000,000 miles on a stock bottom end and original turbo.
I'd say that is plenty reliable.

At a steady 100mph that equates to 485 years of driving - yes, I'd say that was reliable!

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
At a steady 100mph that equates to 485 years of driving - yes, I'd say that was reliable!

Oops!
I meant Kilometers!
Non the less, thats still alot.

Thing I find interesting, my ma and pa have a VW Jetta Diesel with only 100hp
(wow!), but it has 170 foot pounds of torque!
That is only 40 foot pounds of torque less than my KJ!
No wonder Samurai owners use those for an engine swap.

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems like everyone else has put in their two cents. I might well too. :D

If I were going to go thru the trouble of doing an engine swap, I would go for the biggest engine I could stuff under the hood. The only reason I wouldn't is unless there was a rediculously easy way of swapping in something else such as the 4.7L as TJKJ stated.

As they say...there's no replacement for displacement. :D Go big or go home. ;)

I did see a JK for sale on eBay recently with a "professionally installed" HEMI. Whoever did it made it look right at home.
Well...to introduce the new Nitro, Dodge either did or had some body do a Nitro with a hemi in it. Nitro is the same as the new Liberty, so how much in common does the new generation have with the previous?

KYLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well...to introduce the new Nitro, Dodge either did or had some body do a Nitro with a hemi in it. Nitro is the same as the new Liberty, so how much in common does the new generation have with the previous?

If you're serious about it, and have the $$$, call up B&G. They have Hemi conversion flashes for the 5.7 and 6.1 now. It's not going to be a bolt in, but should be possible. I almost swapped a 4.7 HO in mine when it was at Profinish-Proglass. It was sitting right there, but I didn't want to be without the Jeep for a month and was going to be challenging. Still wish we had done it. Terry does amazing work. If I had seen his work instead of just pictures I would have planned it out and had it done. His 2 door convertible KJ and his version of a Li'l Red Express are actually much more impressive up close.

http://www.bgperformancepcm.com/#jeepc

You must be registered for see images

You must be registered for see images