V8 engine swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any swap in any vehicle of any year legal in Alabama.
Actually you still must pass emissions for your vehicle year(VIN year of vehicle) and no carbed 350 will ever do that.You may not have inspections but they still can nail you if they wanted to.So any swap is not legal.You'd fail before they opened the hood.There starting to crack down of emissions,among other things,even in area with no inspections.Last week the owner of the exhaust shop we send people to for exhaust work(one of the best in town) was visited by the cops and basically told to stop putting those "coffee can" mufflers on imports and stacks on diesels.They've been cracking down ******* those and diesels "rolling coal" big time around here and not only prosecuting the owner but also the installers.We don't have any inspections or emission testing in my county.

If you actually read some of the engine swap laws simply putting a V8 in a KJ is illegal regardless in most states even if it does pass emissions.

jankerson

Full Access Member
Reaction score

It would really have to be built 1st, and if I was doing it I would go with a Supercharger over a turbo.....

But then realistically I would rather have it rebuilt just to give around 300 HP or so as the KJ is pretty light so some thing that would be controllable and reliable.

But then with a Supercharger it might be possible to top 400 HP depending on what was done to the engine...

No so young anymore so I don't really want anything like that, and if I did I would just get a Charger or a Challenger with the 392.... Or maybe the Grand Cherokee....... :D

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It would really have to be built 1st, and if I was doing it I would go with a Supercharger over a turbo.....

But then realistically I would rather have it rebuilt just to give around 300 HP or so as the KJ is pretty light so some thing that would be controllable and reliable.

But then with a Supercharger it might be possible to top 400 HP depending on what was done to the engine...

No so young anymore so I don't really want anything like that, and if I did I would just get a Charger or a Challenger with the 392.... Or maybe the Grand Cherokee....... :D
Light? A stock KJ 3.7 4wd KJ weighs in at about 4000lbs.Some of modified KJ's are way above that,I'm over 6000lbs.

jankerson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Light? A stock KJ 3.7 4wd KJ weighs in at about 4000lbs.Some of modified KJ's are way above that,I'm over 6000lbs.

For an SUV it's light and with that short wheelbase. :D

For me my 06 4WD is fast enough for me. :)

Last edited:

kj04libby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Crowd? Did I miss something? One other in the works and one done, video posted and disappeared.

They say 3 is a crowd .... Lol all joking aside anything in a liberty besides a 3.7 is rare and cool to me. I don't see a crowd.

kj04libby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually you still must pass emissions for your vehicle year(VIN year of vehicle) and no carbed 350 will ever do that.You may not have inspections but they still can nail you if they wanted to.So any swap is not legal.You'd fail before they opened the hood.There starting to crack down of emissions,among other things,even in area with no inspections.Last week the owner of the exhaust shop we send people to for exhaust work(one of the best in town) was visited by the cops and basically told to stop putting those "coffee can" mufflers on imports and stacks on diesels.They've been cracking down ******* those and diesels "rolling coal" big time around here and not only prosecuting the owner but also the installers.We don't have any inspections or emission testing in my county.

If you actually read some of the engine swap laws simply putting a V8 in a KJ is illegal regardless in most states even if it does pass emissions.

I'm friends with the sheriff of my county he doesn't care. The police chief of my town doesn't care. And the district attorney doesn't care. I got to church with all of them and two of them are helping me with the swap. I'm good as far inspections go. They couldn't care less about inspections at least in my county. More important things to worry about they said.

Josh

Full Access Member
Reaction score

That was a link. Not just a statement. What do you think you can do to 3.7 that it will make 300hp?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
That was a link. Not just a statement. What do you think you can do to 3.7 that it will make 300hp?

Lots of things you can do to a 3.7 to make 300 horse, problem is 39 seconds down the road and ...........booooooom !!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
I'm friends with the sheriff of my county he doesn't care. The police chief of my town doesn't care. And the district attorney doesn't care. I got to church with all of them and two of them are helping me with the swap. I'm good as far inspections go. They couldn't care less about inspections at least in my county. More important things to worry about they said.

Well as long as you never go out of that county,
those folks stay in office,
and you never sell it you're good then:shrug:
Me, I like to drive state to state and never know where I'll be next so keeping it legal is a priority

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1. The whole reason you stopped doing your swap is because everyone was doing it. No one has followed through with a swap like this. I will. 2. I don't have inspections. 3. All my buddies carburated trucks and crawlers do fine on inclines. I'm aware I couldn't rock climb for long but oh wait it IFS so not doing that magnitude of crawling. 4. Any swap in any vehicle of any year legal in Alabama. 5. I never had real time MPG don't care to on a toy. 6. I had no clue my gauges wouldn't work... Lol wait, yeah I did that's why I planned on putting brushed aluminum where the old one went and placing my speedometer, tach, and fuel gauge (already have the volts, temp, and oil in my a pillar) 7. It will look good. Not stock but good(and after it has a 350 I don't care if it looks stock or not(who needs a light telling me what I'm in if I have a lever that operates my 4x4 with a cable...)) I don't understand what's peoples problem with ME doing what I WANT with MY vehicle. I promise I've thought every thing through and for the complications I haven't I'll conquer them when I get to them.

Thanks!

my comment was meant less for you, because you don't care, and more for you to understand that you're doing a swap that no one else is going to have positive interest in because of those reasons. Just figured I'd prepare you for the mess.

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Crowd? Did I miss something? One other in the works and one done, video posted and disappeared.

They say 3 is a crowd .... Lol all joking aside anything in a liberty besides a 3.7 is rare and cool to me. I don't see a crowd.

Honduras is in the middle of it, there are two that we know of done, and several others doing it.

Honduras' discussion with me about wiring/PCM flashing prior to finding the alternative harness source for a complete, correct, plug and play harness custom built for him is what got me off the bandwagon. I can do it, and legally my kj will still pass inspections on emissions....but why.

More people will be doing it, and I really don't have an application for a v8 in a kj. I need a cummins or duramax lwb truck before I need to spend the time doing that.

kj04libby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my comment was meant less for you, because you don't care, and more for you to understand that you're doing a swap that no one else is going to have positive interest in because of those reasons. Just figured I'd prepare you for the mess.

Trust me i do care. I asked 100 questions before i took the first bolt out and continue to ask while ive been doing it. My fire chief, the one who is helping me the most and has the shop, told me when i first brought up the idea to check if it would be legal. He and i both looked into it and discovered that I would be fine legally. There is no mess its simple and once again. You said you didn't like the 4.7 swap because it was plug and play. Mine I have to actually fabricate motor mounts. I know the trans will bolt right up but that's it.

Last edited:

kj04libby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well as long as you never go out of that county,
those folks stay in office,
and you never sell it you're good then:shrug:
Me, I like to drive state to state and never know where I'll be next so keeping it legal is a priority

I really don't have a reason to sell a toy lol and when I had my blazer (2000 s10) the cat clogged up so... Cut it out and replaced it with just a straight piece of pipe. Well headed up to Michigan to see part of my family got pulled over for 75 in a 65 got out of the speeding ticket then he asked if I passed inspections in my state I said we dont have them. He went back to his car then came and told me to have a nice day I don't what he checked but the police chief told me as long as I'm good from my home location and just visiting other states I'm fine. My buddy has a dodge sitting on 44s went somewhere in Tennessee and got a ticket. Well he called, didn't have to go to court and it got thrown out. For instance someone From Georgia can come to Alabama and drive a boat with just a standard license because they don't have boating licenses in Georgia but we do. And as long as I get the swap done before any laws are implemented I will be grandfathered passed the new laws.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Not always true in being grandfathered in. Back in the day we built 4 wheel drive Dodge vans. Mine was on 40s so sat pretty high, Ohio came out with bumper height rules and started really pushing them. It got to be a common day on the way to work to be pulled over, yes it was built before the rules but was still considered unsafe since it was 20 some inches above their bumper height rules .

But build what you want. Times are a changin' and crackdowns on things like this will get tougher , trust me

kj04libby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not always true in being grandfathered in. Back in the day we built 4 wheel drive Dodge vans. Mine was on 40s so sat pretty high, Ohio came out with bumper height rules and started really pushing them. It got to be a common day on the way to work to be pulled over, yes it was built before the rules but was still considered unsafe since it was 20 some inches above their bumper height rules .

But build what you want. Times are a changin' and crackdowns on things like this will get tougher , trust me

I'm just gonna stop arguing I'm fine where I'm at and I sincerely appreciate you at least saying let me build what I want

JeepCoMJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Trust me i do care. I asked 100 questions before i took the first bolt out and continue to ask while ive been doing it. My fire chief, the one who is helping me the most and has the shop, told me when i first brought up the idea to check if it would be legal. He and i both looked into it and discovered that I would be fine legally. There is no mess its simple and once again. You said you didn't like the 4.7 swap because it was plug and play. Mine I have to actually fabricate motor mounts. I know the trans will bolt right up but that's it.

You contradict your own story on the legality of what you're doing. Seriously...read through your posts on this thread.

Same difference with the 350 swap. More work and hey, guess what!? Everyone and their brother does a 350 swap in their toys.

How....unoriginal

Honduras

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honduras is in the middle of it, there are two that we know of done, and several others doing it.

Honduras' discussion with me about wiring/PCM flashing prior to finding the alternative harness source for a complete, correct, plug and play harness custom built for him is what got me off the bandwagon. I can do it, and legally my kj will still pass inspections on emissions....but why.

More people will be doing it, and I really don't have an application for a v8 in a kj. I need a cummins or duramax lwb truck before I need to spend the time doing that.

Just for the record, I have not yet started. Everything is ready to go, but I won't have time until the 2nd week of October. Looking at all of these parts is killing me.

I don't post much on the boards very much, but I'm always here lurking. :)

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's actually very illegal.You must pass emissions for a model year 2004 vehicle.Like I said you would fail even before they opened to hood or put the sniffer in the tail pipe,the 1st fail point is no more OBDII which is required on any vehicle '96 model year and up.

But hey do it,poeple like you is giving the rest of us a bad name and there cracking down on use that do these types of swaps the legal way making them even harder and harder to do.

u2slow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's actually very illegal.You must pass emissions for a model year 2004 vehicle.

That's going to depend on your local jurisdiction. No testing here... or enforcement for that matter :D