Turbo Charge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WarVet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to Turbo charge or supercharge a KJ?

LetFreedomRing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe the general consensus is that the rings are too high on the stock piston to support boost. You would have to upgrade your pistons among other things to boost reliably.

WarVet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I believe the general consensus is that the rings are too high on the stock piston to support boost. You would have to upgrade your pistons among other things to boost reliably.

Having done that, what would be the gain HP/Torque approximately?

LetFreedomRing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hard to say since I don't know how the 3.7 reacts to boost. I just helped my brother turbo charge his eclipse last year and he gained roughly 80-100whp with 7-8 pounds of boost.

WarVet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOST JEEPS • View topic - Kenne Bell Supercharger

LOST JEEPS • View topic - Kenne Bell Supercharger

and so on. Just regear when you do your locker you just bought and it will be golden.

Thank you sir...Helpful and informative as always. I dont cruise these threads looking at other posts because I have very little to contribute so it seems like a waste of time. Thats why I post so much. Helpful members such as yourself are feeding my spongelike mind, and it is well appreciated...

LetFreedomRing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If more power is what you are looking for, you have a few options.

1. Tried and true increase is regearing to 4.10s
2. A lot have tried a Fastman throttle body upgrade with good results
3. A custom tune from B&G or a Hypertech programmer, stay away from the "chips" that do not rewrite the factory programming. As the PCM will relearn around these in time.

WarVet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If more power is what you are looking for, you have a few options.

1. Tried and true increase is regearing to 4.10s
2. A lot have tried a Fastman throttle body upgrade with good results
3. A custom tune from B&G or a Hypertech programmer, stay away from the "chips" that do not rewrite the factory programming. As the PCM will relearn around these in time.

Would the Hypertech 52501 Max Energy Power Programmer be an acceptable. According to Amazon it fits the KJ 3.7l, but will I need to add new programming to it for a 2004?

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
No way you'll ever do a turbo etc on a 3.7 , well unless you have very deep pockets , way more than what it would be worth
Fastman won't help either since all that is passing through is air, no help
Only two things are 4.10s and a custom flash from B&G

You'd be surprised at what you may find if you did cruise the threads and do some reading. The first 3 months I was on LOST and here back in late 2004 thats all I did before I ever posted. Trust me there are way more interesting things to read now than what there was back then.:shocked::shocked:

Last edited:

LetFreedomRing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Would the Hypertech 52501 Max Energy Power Programmer be an acceptable. According to Amazon it fits the KJ 3.7l, but will I need to add new programming to it for a 2004?

You shouldn't need to add new programming. According to hypertech, they support model years 2004-2010 Libertys. But it is good practice to update it when you first get it.

Also, the B&G flash is good(but has no solid evidence of power gains like hypertech does, check their dyno chart) but I would prefer something to put back to stock in case you would ever need to take your vehicle to a dealership for work. Hypertech programmer is easily returned to stock. Not so much for the B&G which requires you to send your PCM away for the programming to be applied. (Unless you would buy a seperate PCM)

Also, I should note, that you probably won't see the full benefit of the fastman throttle body unless you get your PCM programmed by one of the above options.

Last edited:

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
But then there are those of us who have NEVER taken their KJ into a dealership NOR will they ever :party52::party52:

LetFreedomRing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But then there are those of us who have NEVER taken their KJ into a dealership NOR will they ever :party52::party52:

I never will, but some out there seem to like to! :shakehead:

I should also note that it might be beneficial if problems arise to be able to return it to stock for troubleshooting purposes. Not to mention resell value whenever you do get rid of your vehicle.

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depending on what year you have and if your PCM p/n is compatible, it is possible to custom tune your PCM with an SCT handheld. If you attempt this (and you will need custom tuning to make it run right) I can point you where I got mine.

WarVet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depending on what year you have and if your PCM p/n is compatible, it is possible to custom tune your PCM with an SCT handheld. If you attempt this (and you will need custom tuning to make it run right) I can point you where I got mine.

That would be great...thank you

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Email Sean at Hemifever tuning with your PCM part number. He will check to see if it is compatible. If it is, then you are in luck.