Used Coolant Disposal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What do you guys do with used coolant?

I've been fighting tooth and nail trying to find someone who will take it.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just put it with the recycled oil but where my pops works. They have a big bin for old oil.

Doesnt advance take it?

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Advance Auto doesn't take it here, and neither does NAPA. Two of the local garages here in town won't touch it either.

I contacted the NYS DEC and they couldn't even give me a good answer. This was the response I received...
Like you, I too have searched for places willing to accept used antifreeze from do-it-yourselfers. Most places were unwilling to accept it, and had no suggestions to offer as to who might take it.

While lubricating oils have value for heat or recycling, it appears antifreeze has a cost associated with it even when reclaimed.

Jiffy Lube in Saratoga (581-1600) said they would take it. Interestingly, the Jiffy Lube in Glens Falls said they don't take it, and were surprised with Saratoga's answer - which leads me to believe if you call the Saratoga site again you might get a different answer.

I called North Country Auto Radiator on Route 9 in Queensbury, (798-1788), and they said they take small amounts from individuals. Please note that they have to pay to get rid of the old antifreeze, so do not be surprised if they ask for some minimal payment. You should call them directly before bringing any down.

Municipal Household Hazardous Waste Collection Events are another option, however your county has never held one (to the best of my knowledge.) You may want to talk to your local elected officials to try to convince them to sponsor a collection day. Most counties and cities in the state have collection events annually if not more frequently.

Hopefully the above helps; if not please give me a call at (518) 623-1219.

The nearest place who MIGHT accept it is over an hour away.

k99jk99j

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my local sewer dept says it is alright to put it down the our local SANITARY (treated) sewer. but do not put it down the storm sewer.

you may want to call your local treated sewer dept. and ask.

also try your local government. alot have a "chemical" acceptance programs.

brucebotti

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my local sewer dept says it is alright to put it down the our local SANITARY (treated) sewer. but do not put it down the storm sewer.

I remember reading on a Prestone Container that said to do the same thing. It just doesn't seem right however.
Bruce

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The new style antifreeze i was told most shops let it go down the drain, they end up with some splashed on the floor doing a flush and fill and just rinse it down the drain. They told me with the traditional green antifreeze they usually like to collect as much as possible and then put it in the big hazardous fluids disposal tank they have out back. Everything from antifreeze to brake fluid to power steering fluid gets dumped in that thing. It looks and smells horrible, can't image how hazardous the contents of that tank is.

I know one local auto parts store who was charging $5 disposal on antifreeze, then they took it to the bathroom in the back and poured it down the sink, geez i could have done that!

I also heard the same thing, down the treated sewer ok, storm drain no... Because in most places the storm drain runoff doesn't get treated before release somewhere.

Think of all the cleaners that go down your drain, some of that stuff is caustic and reactive, a lot more dangerous than coolant. But as always check with your local municipality first.

oddball

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got a neighborhood dog that gets you po'd yapping at 3:00 am?

(joking) - unless your PITA... then bite me.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I believe that is considered ok. Most places don't want it going down storm drains but it can go into the sewer. I'm lucky like that because I have a drain at the bottom of my driveway which feeds directly into the sewer.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looking at all the puddles of coolant and oil in the Wal-Mart parking lot today got me thinking about this thread again... LOL

With the amounts that get spilled by leaking vehicles it makes a guy wonder.

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Looking at all the puddles of coolant and oil in the Wal-Mart parking lot today got me thinking about this thread again... LOL

With the amounts that get spieled by leaking vehicles it makes a guy wonder.

In the Netherlands, if the Environmental Authority/Police find a vehicle that leaks coolant of oil, you get fined by The Environmental Police. Charged with cleaning the tarmac where your vehicle is parked/leaking, and your vehicle must get the leakages repaired by a certified automotive shop/Vehicle inspection station.
A copy of the repair invoice then gets forwarded to the Department of the Environment so they know that your vehicle was repaired.

If you choose not to have the repair done, then you receive additional fines until your vehicle is repaired.
Or they just impound your vehicle and you get fined some more!

The Dutch Goverment don't put up with BS from the public!

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
No one around here seems to want to take used coolant either.

You would think there would be a place to bring it like the county recycling center (that is too finneky on what they take) and they could somehow recycle it or dispose of it.

Dave