Used Coolant Disposal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cdh1125

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The only thing pouring it down the toliet is gonna do is dilute it before it makes it to the river. There's nothing in the wastewater treatment process thats gonna do anything to antifreeze you're pouring into the sewer.
They accept it here at our county recycling center along with used oil, and oil filters

jeepskate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, actually, pouring it down the toilet will do one other thing: get rid of it a widely accepted manner. It says right on my jug of Xerex to dispose of it in a sanitary sewer if you don't have a hazardous waste place that will accept it.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do not dispose of used coolant by pouring it down the drain(or flushing it),coolant,no matter the brand or type,it is highly toxic.Yes it does cost money generally to properly dispose of used coolant unlike used oil,ATF,gear oil,and brake fluid(you can get paid for it that stuff).The best way is to call a local shop and ask who supplies there coolant,then call that company as most will accept used coolant from you at no cost since they will just filter it and replenish the additives and sell it back to the shops they supply.

jeepskate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Of course you take it somewhere if you have someplace to take it. I thought the point of this thread was the OP couldn't find anyplace to take it. When your alternatives are less good, putting it in the sewer is the best option.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Of course you take it somewhere if you have someplace to take it. I thought the point of this thread was the OP couldn't find anyplace to take it. When your alternatives are less good, putting it in the sewer is the best option.
But also highly illegal,ask the EPA or OSHA(okay don't ask OSHA unless your prepared to pay a $50,000 fine)about pouring coolant down the drain.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But also highly illegal,ask the EPA or OSHA(okay don't ask OSHA unless your prepared to pay a $50,000 fine)about pouring coolant down the drain.

All the shops around here do it, and the guy at the city municipal office told me the same thing as everyone else is posting, down the sewer NOT the storm drain.

Here is the back of my bottle of Zerex G-05 that i just bought. It clearly shows, Dispose In Sanitary Sewer Systems, but NOT to put it in septic or storm sewers.

The best advice i can give is ask your local municipality. If they says its ok then down the toilet or sink, if they say NO then ask them where you need to take it.

Last edited:

jeepskate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think OSHA cares much what somebody at a private residence (as opposed to a business) does, Troy. I agree with you that it ought to go to a proper recycler. But as I said, and as the picture in the above post shows, it doesn't seem to be a federal offense to put it down the sewer if you have no other option. Which is what the original post was about: What do you do if you can't find someplace to take it.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the main point they are trying to get across on that label is not to dump it on the ground or into an open water source or something leading to that like a storm sewer, of course the septic system warning is mainly due to it going to a leach field and into the ground rather than being treated in a septic plant, just as bad as pouring it on the ground. Yeah it would probably upset the balance in the septic system as well, but if your on a septic system you have to watch what cleaners your using and everything, been there done that on the farm, you have to make sure everything is safe for septic systems.

After researching it around here there is no place to take it to other than the local shops, who charge you a fee and either dump it down the drain or put it in a collection tank.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I found a little more on the MN Pollution Control Agency, MPCA, website regarding the disposal of used Antifreeze.

Disposal of Waste Antifreeze.

Waste antifreeze is antifreeze that is contaminated or too old to be reused. Test results have shown that used antifreeze may contain lead, benzene and other contaminants at levels that make it hazardous. Waste antifreeze is considered a special waste and must be disposed of according to special waste guidelines. For specific regulations, refer to the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency (MPCA) Fact Sheet on Managing Waste Antifreeze, #4.02.

You may discharge it to a drain connected to a wastewater treatment facility only if:

You generate less than 50 gallons per month;
The wastewater treatment facility is permitted by the MPCA and has agreed to accept it.

What about the toxicity of Ethylene Glycol?

Ethylene Glycol, found in most current formulations of antifreeze, while toxic at high concentration, is highly treatable at the concentrations received by a wastewater treatment plant. It is broken down by the biological processes just like all of the other organic compounds received for treatment. Of course, the discharge of “significant quantities” (hundreds of gallons) of relatively concentrated ethylene glycol could result in a toxic condition being created at a treatment plant. However, it’s highly unlikely that the average person doing vehicle maintenance will ever release such volumes.

So going by the rules here in my state, i asked the local municipality and they agreed that it can go down the sanitary sewer, they are also permitted and inspected by the state on an yearly basis. So it would seem i don't have a problem here.

However, i usually bring it down to the local shop and they put it in their hazardous tank out back, i don't get charged anything cause i happen to be friends with the guy so it doesn't matter for me to do it that way. I suspect others will pour it down the drain instead of spending the $5.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is the MPCA fact sheet #4.02 mentioned in the above clip..

Managing the Waste

Do not:
• Discharge antifreeze to a storm sewer or septic system.
• Drain antifreeze onto the ground.
• Place antifreeze in solid waste.
• Mix antifreeze with used oil.
• Discharge to a sanitary sewer system if you generate 600 gallons or more per
year.

For businesses that generate 600 gallons of waste antifreeze or more per year,
management options include on- or off-site recycling or off-site disposal. On-site
recycling may be accomplished by purchasing and using your own equipment or by
using a service that will come to your site and recycle the collected antifreeze. Both
on-site methods result in a recycled product for your use.

(Services that recycle off-site do not typically return the recycled antifreeze.) If the
antifreeze is contaminated to a degree that makes it unrecyclable, you will have to
dispose of it using a reputable hauler. (Disposal is the least desirable option.) Before
recycling or disposal, store the waste in a closed and marked container.

Businesses that generate less than 600 gallons per year of waste antifreeze may
discharge it to a sanitary sewer system provided it is allowed by the local
wastewater treatment plant. (A local wastewater treatment plant may prohibit
discharge of antifreeze to its system. In the twin cities metropolitan area, Metropolitan
Council Environmental Services allows small amounts of motor vehicle antifreeze
to be discharged to the wastewater treatment plant.)
Businesses that discharge antifreeze are required to keep records showing the
amount of waste antifreeze generated. Maintain the records on site and available
for inspection for three years following generation of the waste.

Last edited:

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would say check with your states pollution control agency and city municipality. I also found mention here in MN that if your local municipality doesn't allow disposal of antifreeze to the sanitary sewer system then they must provide information regarding proper disposal. So either way they will know what to do with it!

Sorry for all the long posts..

Ry' N Jen

Banned
Reaction score
Slightly North of the 49° th. Parallel... In HongC
Same here, I have been told to just pour it down the drain if my sewage system is connected to the municipal sewage system.
Unfortunately, we have a septic system so I do not pour it down the drain.
Mind you, I prefer to take it to a place to have it recycled properly. Even if there is a cost to me to do so.
It's called being environmentally responsible.

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I called my local sewer department and they said DO NOT dump it down the drain. I asked them where to dispose of it and they didn't know.

ShafferNY

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I contacted the Essex County Landfill Center, who coordinates an annual Household Hazardous Waste Collection Day. They couldn't tell me where to dispose of used antifreeze either. They simply stated, "the annual Household Hazardous Waste Collection Day has already gone by."

When I asked if they knew when the next one was, they said they didn't know.

It looks like this is the best method of disposing of antifreeze safely, legally, and environmently responsible.

ribbon

Reaction score
my local recycle center / dump has a collection bin for oil and another for antifreeze. Maybe you should look for one around you. Its free here... you can dump 5 gallons a day free.

Another thing i have done is just leave it at the door of jiffylube when they are closed.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I contacted the Essex County Landfill Center, who coordinates an annual Household Hazardous Waste Collection Day. They couldn't tell me where to dispose of used antifreeze either. They simply stated, "the annual Household Hazardous Waste Collection Day has already gone by."

When I asked if they knew when the next one was, they said they didn't know.

It looks like this is the best method of disposing of antifreeze safely, legally, and environmently responsible.

Man, NY is a pain in the you know what!

At least they could have done was known the answer. And they wonder why people end up dumping it in the alley or down the drain, if nobody knows where to get rid of it then what do you do? (dunno)

I would find contact info for your states environmental protection agency and tell them your experiences so far, i bet they would love to hear what state and government entities told you so far. They are supposed to be able to tell you where to dispose of it properly.

Latest posts

Members online