Upgrades for my KJ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm new to the board and just got my first Jeep. I have a 2005 Jeep Liberty Sport 3.7L V6 4x4, ~167,700 miles but she runs great ! Just wanted some tips on what to do and what not to do to it, and although I have a lot planned, I don't want to waste money. I recently installed a 2.5" chrome bull bar on the front and also put in two 12in subwoofers with a 1,400w amp (Pioneer head unit was already installed). In the future (so far), I plan on getting a 3 inch susp. lift, 30-31in a/t tires with black 15" steel wheels (Cragar?), and two 5" KC Apollo Pro offload lights for the bull bar. How hard is it to install a suspension lift with little experience? Also, what mods have you done to make your KJ look better?

Any help would be great ! Thanks

My '05 KJ so far:

Attachments

• IMG_1596.jpg
    IMG_1596.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the board!

Well first most will argue to remove the bull bar due to the fact that any collision will make it fold into the body of the KJ, doing much more damage than without one.

Second, read. Read the lift section. It gives you all the information that you need to know. Full spring and coil lifts only. No spacers. No RRO. No skyjacker. OME, Ironman, Bilstein, JBA, BoulderBars. Those are the names that you should know.

That's just a start. Go read more.

twowings

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Buy, borrow, or rent some jackstands and a floor jack...DON'T work under a vehicle UNLESS it is on jackstands...DON'T try to lift the vehicle with a bumper jack...learn WHERE to place the jackstands depending on what you intend to accomplish (sometimes they go under the axle/differentials and sometimes not....

You'll need sockets, a breaker bar, PB Blaster or Kroil for stubborn bolts/nuts, a torque wrench, a ratchet strap(s), and possibly a friend to help and double-check your work...you need to read as noted above everything you can find on KJ lifts on this board and on lostjeeps.com...be sure to note if the install thread(s) apply to your year or not...good luck!

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm new to the board and just got my first Jeep. I have a 2005 Jeep Liberty Sport 3.7L V6 4x4, ~167,700 miles but she runs great ! Just wanted some tips on what to do and what not to do to it, and although I have a lot planned, I don't want to waste money. I recently installed a 2.5" chrome bull bar on the front and also put in two 12in subwoofers with a 1,400w amp (Pioneer head unit was already installed). In the future (so far), I plan on getting a 3 inch susp. lift, 30-31in a/t tires with black 15" steel wheels (Cragar?), and two 5" KC Apollo Pro offload lights for the bull bar. How hard is it to install a suspension lift with little experience? Also, what mods have you done to make your KJ look better?

Any help would be great ! Thanks

My '05 KJ so far:

First welcome
Second where in Ohio?
If wanting lifts etc I may know of someone that could lead you down the right path .
# inch lift is no issue, pretty standard the way we do them all here
Now 31 inch tires you're getting into the area that will need a regear to keep power and mileage
Installing a lift is pretty simple, if you have some mechanical knowledge.
We've had a lot of " newbies" that hardly ever touched a wrench help and learn and next thing they are almost doing them by themselves :icon_lol:
Full spring lift is about a 3 hours job

Ohio Jeeps to look over , a few that have been in my garage , mines the 4th one down
You must be registered for see images attach

http://www.jeepinbyal.com/ for OME or Ironman lifts, they state 1.5 but OME gives you 2.5 inches of lift over new stock height for example , then tricks to go higher

Last edited:

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First welcome
Second where in Ohio?
If wanting lifts etc I may know of someone that could lead you down the right path .
# inch lift is no issue, pretty standard the way we do them all here
Now 31 inch tires you're getting into the area that will need a regear to keep power and mileage
Installing a lift is pretty simple, if you have some mechanical knowledge.
We've had a lot of " newbies" that hardly ever touched a wrench help and learn and next thing they are almost doing them by themselves :icon_lol:
Full spring lift is about a 3 hours job

Ohio Jeeps to look over , a few that have been in my garage , mines the 4th one down

JeepinByAl for OME or Ironman lifts, they state 1.5 but OME gives you 2.5 inches of lift over new stock height for example , then tricks to go higher

Lancaster, about 35 mins southeast of Columbus. OME is what I'm wanting to get but I have to save up quite a bit of money first, because I'm hoping to get 5 new or slightly used a/t tires&wheels installed at the same time as the lift. Also, I stated 31s because I didn't know how big you could go with a 3in lift. I want that big tire look but without having to go in and regear, etc. Mainly aesthetics is what I'm going for but also if I want to go off-road I want to be able to. Thanks for the response by the way !

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Lancaster, about 35 mins southeast of Columbus. OME is what I'm wanting to get but I have to save up quite a bit of money first, because I'm hoping to get 5 new or slightly used a/t tires&wheels installed at the same time as the lift. Also, I stated 31s because I didn't know how big you could go with a 3in lift. I want that big tire look but without having to go in and regear, etc. Mainly aesthetics is what I'm going for but also if I want to go off-road I want to be able to. Thanks for the response by the way !

Used to live in Lancaster , well 3 different times actually, 82-85, 2000-2001, 2003-2004
now after being in the Northwest area back in Gahanna , sure ya know where that is
Heres my 04 Kilimanjaro Edition with over 4 inches of lift /32s/4.10s etc on the left
then on the right the one I am currently building an 03 one owner 80,000 mile in picture with 2.75 inch lift and stock tires, that lift was removed after two weeks and sold to go with another lift about same height, JBA 2.5 icnh total control lift, going with 265-70-16 tires and 4.10 gears as well
If you want to know what works just ask, done over 35 in my garages

Last edited: