Updates..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kbooneKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMO this site is more of a jeep community, not just a how to/noob Q&A. Having "racey" threads or comments is part of this community and is what livens the place up. Just go check Jeep forum, that site is all noobs that post 2-3 times then never return, that doesn't seem anything like this site so it should be kept that way. Meaning that none of the members only threads, pic contest, random thoughts, etc get deleted. And also, what's with the adds? Adds on the menu, threads, pictures, there everywhere now. And last, personaly I liked the way jkjc looked before it was sold but if shaggy wants to change the skin now it could look nicer but he should at least change the main thread menu back to what it used to be. The new one just doesn't look right.

KeswickDave

Gold Moderator
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I tend to feel it ain't broke, so don't fix it - as Marlon said, it will have it's ups and downs. Coming up to the holidays especially lives get busier.

Someone mentioned search, and it seems to be a common complaint on forums such as this that the search function is not very good - I haven't used it here in a while, so I'm not sure how well it works.

One thing I've seen on other forums is the incorporation of a Google site search, which I've found to work well and is a familiar interface for most people. Perhaps that is an option as an "improvement"?

Otherwise, I have no issues with adding additional themes we can chose from, but I would try not to force too much change on the user community, especially without prior notification - as you may have noticed, people tend not to like that :)

Edited to add - another forum I frequent uses a system of "stars" where users can "star" a post, basically as a way of saying "i like this" or "good post". It serves two purposes - the users accumulate stars which identifies the best contributors, and their entire front page is then built using these stars as a rating system, showing the user's picks of best recent posts. I think it works pretty well, and although you might not want it on the home page, you could have a link to a page or pages built using these ratings such as "most popular posts today" or this week or whatever.

I'm not sure if this is do-able in the framework you have to work with - I know the site I'm referring to is custom built, but just throwing out ideas!

Dave

Last edited:

kelticknight

Reaction score
site good the way it is,some site give you options too change background or theme of site which would be cool but as far as content goes ,its good ,full of info to help kj guys like us,im member of L.O.S.T and was disappointed that they changed name from L.O.S.T kj to L.O.S.T jeeps,but is what it is,so only thing i say,please dont change the name
regards

CHenry

Reaction score
A skin change would be nice. I admin over on biofuelalternatives dot com and we have changed up the look of the forum there. Check it out if you want.

Last edited:

gfe kj

Reaction score
FAQ / DIY Details

I'm a new member here and have enjoyed my stay. I too feel the search function doesn't work well, but could say that about other forums I visit.

I enjoy looking for DIY instructions and hope to find it indexed. FAQ probably helps from many of the same questions being asked. How the site looks doesn't matter much to me (I'm an old guy) but the content is what brings me back.

Thanks for asking my opinion! Thanks to everyone that contributes, as I find myself just reading about other members vehicles, projects and questions!

George

Glen_S

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The other forum I frequent for Ford Diesels has a lot of FAQ's, along with tutorials for things like changing ****** fluid etc.

I find that feature very valuable and use it often.

feetwet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sold my KJ.... so I've moved on to the owners forum (http://www.explorerforum.com/) for my new vehicle (2006 Explorer 4x4 XLT V8).

Really liked the level of detail on this site... the Ford Explorer forum is not quite as technically savvy as the KJ'rs. Miss your site.

Don't get carried away with fancy skins and all that... keep it functional and lightweight. Mobile friendly is awesome if you can support that!

Take care!

yellocoyote

Administrator
Reaction score
It isn't about the site, it is about the members. Most don't give a flying poopy what the site looks like. Honestly, anything you do Shaggy (no offense) will not do any good for the site. Just because you make it some "cool" color or put chrome on the corners doesn't mean more people will post or visit the site.
Do not change the way the site looks.

Is there anyway to make it more obvious to use the search? The same questions are being asked over and over. Some questions are understandable and I know this is the first time I've ever seen so many new people.

People come hear to give or take info. The search should be used first I think every time you ask a question. People do not come hear to see the site, they come hear to see the content. Ok, that's enough free advice. I think you can figure out the rest.

Shaggy, that is normal for this site. It has always been like that..... I don't think that will ever change. One minute this place seems like it's dead, a few days later, you can't keep up with posts. It's a cycle that has been going on for years.

I tend to feel it ain't broke, so don't fix it - as Marlon said, it will have it's ups and downs. Coming up to the holidays especially lives get busier.

I agree with these sentiments. If you are going to make changes, I like to see improvements in the functionality of the site - better search, thumbs up/star posts, etc... and leave the "cosmetic" changes alone.

RChris173

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really only come by when I need to or if I have some questions about my Jeep. Most of the time though, I do other things online lol...

I really do love the level of detail and knowledge I get from looking at past threads and solving interesting problems.

I have resolved several maintenance and repairs just by using this forum to find past topics or starting my own.

I like the site just the way it is...

ptsb5a

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bryan, I've been around here for well over four years. I've witnessed the ebb and flow, it's a cycle. How it looks to me isn't nearly as important as access to content. I've posted plenty and had many questions answered, for that I'm really grateful. So, I guess I'll just go on and say what the other long-in-the-tooth members have said. It's not broken. Perhaps making the search function a wee bit easier to use would be a benfit but other than that I'm happy with how the site looks and I'll keep coming back.

daddyzzs

Reaction score
Just make it easy to use and keep the content where it needs and all is good, but.......we need more input on different stuff and people to step up and not be afraid to help out the fellow kj'er! Keep up the great work.

Crusader

Reaction score
It isn't about the site, it is about the members. Most don't give a flying poopy what the site looks like. Honestly, anything you do Shaggy (no offense) will not do any good for the site. Just because you make it some "cool" color or put chrome on the corners doesn't mean more people will post or visit the site.
Do not change the way the site looks.

Is there anyway to make it more obvious to use the search? The same questions are being asked over and over. Some questions are understandable and I know this is the first time I've ever seen so many new people.

People come hear to give or take info. The search should be used first I think every time you ask a question. People do not come hear to see the site, they come hear to see the content. Ok, that's enough free advice. I think you can figure out the rest.

...oh and I know, here not hear. My fingers got ahead of my brain. Sorry.

Fully agree with you. The content should be and I think is at moment the most important Thing. And yes a way to find an answer on the question would be more than helpful.

Thomas

new jeep owner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
love the how to section, Im there quite often browsing.:happy107:
how about a sticky that shows what years parts will interchange between all the jeep models? (or is this here allready? I'm still new here)
personally I own a kj . but love all jeep models.

also if the search function could be more user friendly some how?:think:

other then that I think this site is awsome!

twack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Honestly shaggy 2 huge improvements to the site would be Stickers. how about a free sticker for ever how to you write, or ever 3rd or 4th how to you get a jeep kj shirt.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
The search function could be better, but I think that is a problem with all forums.

All in all, I like the forum skin but would not be opposed to a change. I think there will always be those that like, and also those that dislike any change so it would be impossible to please everyone. Human nature is such that once we get used to something, we grow to like it the way it is.

This forum has good content and people willing to help and share their experiences. It has good how-to's and has helped me and I am sure it has helped others, so in the end what is the most important is the content and the membership helping each other out.

I wish there was more participation though. But I think that is the way with everything, wheather it be a club, a forum, or what have you. The active membership is usually around 10% of the total membership, yet everyone benefits, especially from a forum like JKJC.

For the paltry sum of $10 to $25 anyone can "give back" to the forum to help support it and yet there are not many who do when you compare the supporters to the total members. Yet everyone benefits and saves money due to the advice and help and "how to's" here.

So in the end, it doesn't matter what color the forum skin is, or a couple of forum idiosyncracies that every forum has, but rather the members, their participation in the forum, and the content we have here.

Personally I am not here for the good pay, bonuses, and health benefits. I like to help people if I can, and I love jeeps and off-roading. Oh yeah, black is my favorite color next to "red, white and blue".........

Shaggy, also I wanted to mention that all members appreciate your openess and respect for everyone else's opinion in these forum matters, and the opportunity for everyone to voice their opinions, and the knowledge that all opinions will be considered.

Dave

92islander

Reaction score
I like the idea of FAQS or sticky threads that serve that purpose. If you could provide links to really useful information for each area, that might be very helpful...

KeswickDave

Gold Moderator
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just an aside, it's great to see some new, and not so new folks coming out of the woodwork in this thread!

(welcome)

Shaggy

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Great guys. I love the ideas. Keep them coming. I noticed there are alot of users that wouldn't mind a like mod. How about a "Thank You" mod where a user can click a thank you button and it thanks the user for that post. It will show overall stats of how many thanks that user has received of the whole forum. How do you like that idea?

I can also add that google search here which is so much better. You all pretty much cool with that too?