Unknown last trans service

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gdlgiii

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bought a used 2002 Jeep Liberty with the V6 3.7L engine. Although it looks like everything else has been taken care of and all recall work done, I am not sure about the transmission. The vehicle has 111,500 miles on it and drives great, shifts great. Carfax report is clean and shows reg oil change interval. The rear diff has been flushed and refilled back when it had 80K miles on it. But no record of a transmission fluid change.
I looked at the fluid while the jeep was driven around town for a while and the fluid is a light shade of red and does not look dark or cloudy.
Would it be almost a safe bet that the fluid was changed at some point?
If not, what course of action could I take on changing the fluid?

dude1116

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's $100 flush and filter to a $2000 transmission? I would change it. Plus, you should do it every 30k miles, which would be coming up at 120,000k anyway. I would just do it to be safe.

Cheers!

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to JeepKJ! :party52:

You should change the oil in the front and rear diffs too. They're about 15,000 miles overdue since they were last changed (at 80K miles.)

I agree with dude - if not a full trans flush then a pan drop/fluid change.

Bob

gdlgiii

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for that great advice! Its coming up for oil change soon so I will add that on to the list of things to change.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Personally I'm not much on a ****** flush. If you take it to a dealer and have them flush it properly then its ok. I just drop the pan and change the filter every 30k.