Trans problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

awilling91

Reaction score
Have a 2010 jeep liberty Limited started experiencing problems with the coolant system and now it's leaking transmission fluid from the cooler and lines. I'm having a hard time finding the parts but I think I may have found them now but the problem I'm running into is how do I know how much transmission fluid to put in the jeep and how do I check that it's full because the dipstick is a dealer part only

lfhoward

KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
You can use the oil dipstick to check the level when it bottoms out on the pan. Measure the fluid height in millimeters. Do this when the transmission is up to temperature and the engine is running.

Check the transmission temperature with a laser thermometer on the pan in several locations, or if you have an OBDII scanner, read it directly from the sensor.

Find the fluid temperature on this chart and look at what level it should be on the dipstick. Add some if you need.

For the 42RLE automatic transmission on our 3.7L engines:
7a037d24-gif.27677

Easy peasy. No dealer required.

For reference: