Trying to figure out pcm

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sassy0876

Reaction score
Well I am the one that was having issues it my battery light coming on. I took the alternator to be tested and they said it is fine. So now I am looking to buy the pcm, I am trying to find one on ebay. Most if the part number is the same except the last letter on mine is a g and some if them are h's. And some of them day they are programmed for my Vin after I buy them they will program them for my vin. I am so confused. HELP!!!!

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd take the Jeep somewhere and have it tested. Several replies from TJKJ and Cactusjacked and others to your other post mentioned alternator as being a likely problem. I had my KJ alternator "tested" once when I got "the light" and it was supposedly good but turned out to be bad. The Autozone bench test didn't cut it. I also had an alternator (different vehicle) that would only throw a charging light only at RPMs over about 2500-2700. It did this for a couple months and drove me nuts. Couldn't track it down until it finally gave out and got the consistent light. Was able to limp home before the battery died. I wouldn't bail on your PCM unless I was sure that was it. As painful as it may be you may have to pay a bit to save a bunch.

BTW Post #13 in your other thread sums it all up.

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would wait on buying a pcm until you can figure out what the issue with the alternator is. I would buy a alternator and see if a new alternator fixes the issue.

Billwill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would wait on buying a pcm until you can figure out what the issue with the alternator is. I would buy a alternator and see if a new alternator fixes the issue.

Yeah I agree with what you and itdo2 have to say...get the alternator tested by the Dealers.....Autozone etc. do not understand alternators that have their regulation controlled from an outside source.

Do this and buy a new alternator if the Dealer says it is bad!:icon_wink:

If that does not fix it I would rate a wiring issue before the PCM but wiring issues are very difficult to find so a used PCM with the VIN programmed (and SKIS Code if fitted) into it is probably the next step. The last letter on a component is normally its latest Engineering or Software level...so an "H" is newer and better than a "G" level and will work.

guth_64

Reaction score
Well I am the one that was having issues it my battery light coming on. I took the alternator to be tested and they said it is fine. So now I am looking to buy the pcm, I am trying to find one on ebay. Most if the part number is the same except the last letter on mine is a g and some if them are h's. And some of them day they are programmed for my Vin after I buy them they will program them for my vin. I am so confused. HELP!!!!

Back to the original question, does anyone know if you buy a PCM with P/N 56044208AF and your P/N is 56044208AG. Will this still work? Im in the same predicament. I've checked everything and last thing is PCM replacement.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.