Trying to figure out best oil...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gbelous

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay. Wow, that was more confusing than I thought for just oil...but glad I asked. I think I will stick with conventional just because I don't want anything to happen from the synthetic.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Okay. Wow, that was more confusing than I thought for just oil...but glad I asked. I think I will stick with conventional just because I don't want anything to happen from the synthetic.

That's what I would do....:D

gbelous

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay...sounds good to me. and then I should use 5w30 now or wait till the winter for that and put in 10w30 now for the warm weather? or does it not really matter?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Okay...sounds good to me. and then I should use 5w30 now or wait till the winter for that and put in 10w30 now for the warm weather? or does it not really matter?

I'm running 5w30 in 100 degree heat...so you'll be fine.

Then again, I have the extra cooling. I think your fine though....:)

JJsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
valvoline......talk about your fine print...... forcing consumers to do 3000 mile oci's w/ syn is a huge waste of time and resources too. shame on them.

offrovering

Full Access Member
Reaction score
here is my issue with this valvoline promotion. 3k oil changes with syn is a waste of money, you will likely have bought a new engine in the money you have wasted from 75k to 300k miles anyhow.

secondly, it only covers oil wetted parts. I realize an engine is mostly oil wetted, however, if you use any oil and change it religiously every 3k miles, you arent going to have a large issue.

the only time people have issues with an oil wetted failure is when oil isnt changed and allowed to sludge and sieze the engine and components.

finally, say you sign up for this at 60k miles, your vehicle is say 4 years old. at 15k miles a year, your car at 120k miles is 8 years old. an 8 year old vehicle is probably almost always worth less than the cost of total engine replacement. So their clause of
Valvoline may pay the Covered Consumer an amount equal to the private sale value of the Qualifying Vehicle on the date of Qualifying Engine Breakdown as set forth by Kelley Blue Book or some other similar listing of vehicle values if a Kelley Blue Book value is not available
is a joke. My 03 liberty sport is 6 years old and its only worth 5k, imagine it in another 2-5 years.

one last bit I missed the first time, the owner also has to document and complete all other maintenance items set forth in the owners manual. As well, all oil leaks must be repaired by the owner, so a headgasket failure is on the owners dime.

now what vehicle that gets all oil changes at 3k and all other recommended maintenance items completed actually has catastrophic engine failure?

Bigrooster23

Reaction score
I have 2004 jeep liberty sport with 3.7l. it have 126k miles. What kind of brand should I go with? I use it for delivery. So I estimate 400 miles per weekly. Thanks

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Everyone has their own opinion on oil but you can't go wrong with Mobil 1 and a good filter. I like the black Wix filters but lately I've been using Motorcraft. Mobil 1 makes a good filter too.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I'd be weary of the Motorcraft ones. Puro made and they have louvers. The FL400S is prone to tears.

Honestly, within the past few years, Fram (the Tough Guard and the Ultra, the Ultra is the darling of the BITOG forum) have really come a long way. That or Wix is my choice now. I have a TG on the KJ now and it has less startup rattle than with the Wix, but they're really close.

Basically for the KJ I won't run anything without a silicone ADBV, with louvers, or with a combo ADBV/By pass valve. Louvers rules out anything Purolator made (K&N, Bosch, Motorcraft, Mopar, STP). Only ones with silicone ADBVs (are Fram TG and Ultra and Wix/Napa Gold). So that leaves me to the Wix or higher end Frams.

As for oil, nothing wrong with a high mileage oil at that mileage/age. Pick whichever brand you like the bottle of the best and you'll be good. Synthetic or dino, doesn't matter much. With dino I'd stay at 4k intervals and syn I'd go 8k. Only use 5W30.

Last edited:

jeeplib05

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic oil and FRAM Ultra Synthetic filter at 168k, works great and I change I‎t about every 3,500-4,000 mi

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd be weary of the Motorcraft ones. Puro made and they have louvers. The FL400S is prone to tears.

I heard that before for the 400 and 820 I think but had a few in my supply so just put my last one on. I've never noticed any issues but I don't cut them open like everyone on the oil forum. Ignorance is bliss... :happy175:

I'll probably go back to the Wix. Fram may be good now but all the bad reviews over the years still makes me cringe a bit. Maybe I'll give them another try. :gr_grin:

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Wix is good. I just get the TG since I get my oil at Walmart anyway.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
I usually buy in bulk on Rockauto. Same brand for 4 vehicles since even the different sizes usually ship from the same place. The van goes to the dealer for the 8.95 oil change. That was an incentive when we bought it new in 2008. Just over 230k now so I'd say we stuck it to the man.