Trying to figure out best oil...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gbelous

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've looked thru a bunch of posts about what oil to use and I'm still confused. This will be my first oil change since getting the Jeep (03 sport) and not sure what they have previously used in it. Some have said they only use synthetic, others say not to on higher mileage engines (this has about 96,000). So what would you recommend for brand and weight and synthetic or not.
Thanks for any help, sorry if this thread is redundant, but I'd rather be safe than guess from other posts.

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you say "first oil change". do you mean first oil change doing it yourself or first oil change ever?

BTW I use 5w-30 Full Synth Mobile One. 5 quarts for around $26-$28 at walmart. Since your not sure what was in the engine previously and b/c of your High mileage I would go with a Synthetic blend b/c you may/probably do have carbon deposits inside the engine and if you use full synthetic now those deposits may break up into big chunks and cause issues.

Last edited:

gbelous

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I mean first oil change on this jeep that I have done. I am assuming the previous owner did them seeing as how it has 94k miles lol. I have done them on my other cars, just not the Jeep yet.
Would full synthetic cause any problems not knowing what past oils have been used?

You edited before I finished writing.
But you answered my question...prob use a blend then.

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I mean first oil change on this jeep that I have done. I am assuming the previous owner did them seeing as how it has 94k miles lol. I have done them on my other cars, just not the Jeep yet.
Would full synthetic cause any problems not knowing what past oils have been used?

I was just checking :) b/c I know ppl who have gone way beyond the oil change dates. Infact one girl I know owns a 2003 kia or something like that and I swear it only has 6 oil changes in it life time. I'm surprised it still runs lol

Since your not sure what was in the engine previously and b/c of your High mileage I would go with a Synthetic blend b/c you may/probably do have carbon deposits inside the engine and if you use full synthetic now those deposits may break up into big chunks and cause issues.

Last edited:

gbelous

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay...and 5w30 is recommended for these engines? I'm in New England, so the temp can vary all year from freezing to really hot.

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay...and 5w30 is recommended for these engines? I'm in New England, so the temp can vary all year from freezing to really hot.

I'm in North East PA so I'm not far off. 5w30 is the recommended. Your oil cap on the engine also says the oil type. I always look at it before I buy oil b/c i 2nd guess my self every time lol. I use it all round year with no issues.

Last edited:

gbelous

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, I'll look at that too just to remind myself. I will aim for Valvolne or GTX synthetic blend 5w30 with the Napa Gold filter

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, I'll look at that too just to remind myself. I will aim for Valvolne or GTX synthetic blend 5w30 with the Napa Gold filter

I bought the GTX synthetic blend 5w30 for my fiance's Liberty. She bought hers used with a 119K about two months ago. It's runs nice with the GTX. Then again the oil was horrible in it so anything would make it run better lol. I got a 5 quart jug for $20 at Walmart. 5 quarts is all you need by the way. Unless it's leaks or burns oil.

gbelous

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, I'll try the same...and as far as I can tell no oil leak/burning.
Do they have the high mileage for the gtx synth blend?

ps...thanks for your help!

ChiefRudy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, I'll try the same...and as far as I can tell no oil leak/burning.
Do they have the high mileage for the gtx synth blend?

ps...thanks for your help!

No problem. That's what we're all here for :)

I'm not sure to be honest. My jeep (2006) only has 24,000 miles and I don't recall seeing it when I bought oil for my Fiance's Jeep. They may but don't quote me on it.

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I second the GTX... That's all i have run for years now and it's sludge protection does make a difference! When we bought my wife's PT Cruiser it had who know's what in it, the first time i changed it i put in GTX and noticed by the next oil change that things looked cleaner inside through the oil fill cap on the valve cover. After a couple more changes everything looked nice and shiny in there and the oil was coming out cleaner looking than the first couple changes, 3000 miles on each oil change. So it does work on cleaning crap out!

The first oil change it flushed a lot of crap out of the pan, lots of built up crud that the GTX cleaned out.

desertkj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With 96k miles, I would highly recommend not switching to synthetic if it is not already being used. I have heard of it causing leaky gaskets and, in one case, even destroying the motor. I heard a story from a technician about synthetic lifting all of the gunk that was at the bottom of the oil pan and dragging it into the motor as a sheet of grime, causing the entire engine to blow.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
With 96k miles, I would highly recommend not switching to synthetic if it is not already being used. I have heard of it causing leaky gaskets and, in one case, even destroying the motor. I heard a story from a technician about synthetic lifting all of the gunk that was at the bottom of the oil pan and dragging it into the motor as a sheet of grime, causing the entire engine to blow.

x2.....

I'd use a good conventional oil blended for high mileage engines. :)

gbelous

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've never thought about it before, but is the basic, every day oil that is on the shelves a blended or is a blended oil different? I know full synthetic would say it on the bottle...but is blended the same thing or is it another category?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I've never thought about it before, but is the basic, every day oil that is on the shelves a blended or is a blended oil different? I know full synthetic would say it on the bottle...but is blended the same thing or is it another category?

If were talking synthetic blends (not full synthetic), it's a mix of conventional and synthetic oil. The % of each, I'm not sure of. :)

gbelous

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, so that isn't the same as the conventional stuff I typically get for my other cars. Never really gave it a second thought. So would the blend be recommended in an engine that you don't know how it has been maintained in the past?

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Okay, so that isn't the same as the conventional stuff I typically get for my other cars. Never really gave it a second thought. So would the blend be recommended in an engine that you don't know how it has been maintained in the past?

Here's what I use in the KJ....no complaints so far.

Click :)

gbelous

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks...so you use the advance durability 5w30? is that synthetic blend or conventional?