Trying to decide which new tires

Which tires would you go with in my situation?

• General Grabber AT2

Votes: 12 70.6%
  • Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor

Votes: 5 29.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KYLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As you all can probably tell, I kind of have a weakness for new tires. I've had 4 sets so far. It came with 235/70R16 SRA's, then to 245/70R16 Cross Terrains, then Firestone Destination AT 245/65R17's, and then a Frankenlift II with Silent Armor 245/75R16's. I'd love to get some 265/75R16 DuraTracs under it, but I really think I'm going to get too much rubbing even after additional trimming unless I lift the KJ a little more. I think I'll probably ruin the CV's if I do that.

Therefore, I'm thinking about some 265/70R16's. I'm on road most of the time, but do see ice, slush, and snow. Every once in a while I'm on a rough gravel or dirt road. I don't need or even want an MT. I do want an aggressive AT that really does well in the snow, ice, and slush since I love skiing and have to drive a little for my weekend ski trips during the winter. The DuraTracs aren't made in a 265/70R16, so I'm thinking either the Silent Armors or the General Grabber AT2's. Tread life isn't an issue since I replace my tires every 2-3 years. A good ride, good wet road performance, and great in the winter stuff are what I'm looking for.

What do you all think?

Moab

Reaction score
I'm using the General Grabber AT2's on my Liberty. 245 75 16's.
I have no complaints. The tread is almost a full 8" and are just fine on and offroad.
You must be registered for see images attach

Having said that I do like the Firestone Destination AT and those come in a 255 70 16.

I'm probably going with the Firestone Destination MT's in a 245 75 16 on
16x7's next. But my Liberty is more of a recreation vehicle than a daily driver.

The Firestone Distination AT's do come in a 255 70 16 and a 265 70 16 aside from the 245 75 16:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...ESTATOWL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes
click on other sizes and prices on that link
I don't have any experience with the Goodyear Silent Armor but the Grabber AT2's are working fine for me. They also come in some sizes that would fit nicely
Aside from the 245 75 16 you could go with a
255 65 16
255 70 16
265 70 16
depending on your lift.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...GRAT2OWL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes
click on other sizes and prices on that link

Last edited:

KYLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not interested in the Destination AT's. The current Silent Armors are so much better in the winter stuff, there really is no comparison. I'm wanting something a little fatter than the 245/75R16's I have now, and definitely not smaller diameter. The Silent Armors easily drive across stuff I can't even stand on. I've heard a ton of really good reviews about the Grabbers too though.

I may still end up going with a 3 ring clevis and a 3rd set of iso's, to fit the 265/75R16 DuraTracs under it. But I think I would rather stay with a 265/70R16 that will fit with the current suspension and maybe just a little more trimming.

Last edited:

Moab

Reaction score
I don't think the 265 75 16's will work if you go offroad. I'm touching every once and a while with the 245 75's lifted. But if you are not really big into offroading you may be able to sweeze the 265 75's but it would be tight under a 22.5 " inches of clearance.
My buddy got a set of the Destination AT's on his Blazer and they work great for him. If you go with the Goodyears though you should give a review for the rest of us doing tire changes.

Mostrobiscotti

Reaction score
I use all destinations on all my vehicles,, they are different sizes from my daily driver to my lofted vehicles but for the past few years they have been good to me

Moab

Reaction score
Those DuraTracs are real cool but the 265 75 16 is going to require enough room to move around through bumps and turns. He may need to lift a little more as he said. Oh well just time and money:D

KYLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys, I've run the Destination AT's through 2 winters. While they were much better than the stock SRA's, they are no where near as good as the Silent Armors in the winter stuff. They're also not as good on wet pavement. If you all that keep recommending them have run the Grabbers as well and think the Firestones are as good or better, please post that. If that is the case the Grabbers will be an obvious no go for me.

If I go with the Duratracs, I'd probably stick to 245/75R16 Load C's. I know they'll fit with no problems. They're going to be rougher on road, and from what I understand they're not quite as good on wet pavement as the Silent Armors I have now. They look so good though, and I know they can get me through the winter stuff.

SurfGuitar141

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The General Grabber AT2's are a real popular tire around here...(South Jersey)....a lot of people run up to the Pocono mountains on a regular basis to go skiing, and do it on those tires.
I've also been seeing them on the beach a lot more on 4 X 4's that used to run either Goodyear or BFG's. They are also less expensive than most other AT tires.

I'm presently running the General Grabber HTS in 235/70 on my '05 Renegade, I purchased these just before getting lifted, so I'll run them for now, but will be replacing them with the AT2's in 245/75 when I can afford it.

KYLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was just looking around at tirerack and saw that both the Grabbers and the Silent Armors are available in a 255/70R17. I think I could get those to fit with some of the 17"X8" Mamba rims that look just like the Rubicon Moab rims. They have them in silver machined, silver machined with black accent, and painted black. The backspacing is 5.3", so the rims would sit barely closer in than my current Moabs, but with the little bit wider tires the outer edge of the tires should end up right about where they are now. They would be about halfway between the size of the 245/75R16's and 265/75R16's.

Watcha think?

KYLiberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stop thinkin' about it and just get the 265/75-16 Duratracs :p

Well, I just measured and the KJ is only at 21" from center hub to the bottom of the fenders. The CV's are not at a bad angle at all either. It definitely looks like I could go another 1/2" - 1" higher. Some more plastic trimming..... Hmmm.... Looks possible.

What's the best way to bring a Frankenlift with 2 sets of iso's in the rear up another inch in the front and rear?

bmrrwolfe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I personally like the Grabbers, but I got a buddy who runs the Silent Armors on his TJ and even worn they did a great job through snow when he lived up here and now he lives in Daytona Beach and hasn't ever gotten stuck and in the sand down there even when pulling cars/trucks out and doing some of the stupid things he does :p

tommudd

Staff member
Reaction score
Grabbers.....would never run them, they are good for going to the mall on Sundays though;)

You're only at 21 inches? Wow , its sagged a bit then. Do a top plate ( use 1/4 inch since the Frankenlift does not have enough bolt length to use bigger) that will give you 1/2 inch of lift, then 3 ring clevis for another almost 3/4 inch ( should put you at 22.25 then) and you should be good for the 265-75 Duratracs. I was at 22.50 before I installed my new lift and had the 265-75 Duratrac's on, very minor rubbing when completely crossed up on a trail. Don't wimp out on me now, :D
Duratrac's or back to the Silent Armor's only two choices you really have
You know you want the Duratracs , so to get you in the mood
You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

KJ zGal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL TruLiberty...those are just the stock Renegade rims...nothing really that special xDD