Trouble code ???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OHIO04KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I have had this KJ for almost a week. I get the engine light, so I go to Autozone for the free check ;) They get 133 = 02 sensor 1/1 circuit voltage high and 420 = 1/1 catalytic converter efficiency. The guy at the zone said it may be bad gas, so I put in some fuel system cleaner. I have driven a little over half a tank with the cleaner and no reprieve so far. My question is, should I just wait and maybe use another bottle, or do I need a new 02 sensor and converter? Anyone with some ideas/resolutions? Thanks in advance.....

Bill

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could just be a bad sensor, they do go out. The KJ has FOUR sensors though, so you have to know which one to replace. I don't have my service manual for my 03' handy at the moment but i think it shows in there which sensor is which circuit, etc.

jnaut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And some fuel system cleaners damage the O2 sensors. Irony? You decide.

OHIO04KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could just be a bad sensor, they do go out. The KJ has FOUR sensors though, so you have to know which one to replace. I don't have my service manual for my 03' handy at the moment but i think it shows in there which sensor is which circuit, etc.
Just a guess, but code 133 02 sensor 1/1, would equal bank 1 sensor 1. With that being said would 1/1 be the left(drivers) forward most sensor?

OHIO04KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And some fuel system cleaners damage the O2 sensors. Irony? You decide.

Yeah... I run acetone in my Lincoln from time to time and add a little to much and the light will go off and give the code for a bad 02 sensor. Just add some fresh gas and drive for a bit and the light goes away;)

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a guess, but code 133 02 sensor 1/1, would equal bank 1 sensor 1. With that being said would 1/1 be the left(drivers) forward most sensor?

Yeah it would be a front sensor, but i don't know if the drivers or passengers side is bank one.

Usually drivers was bank one on other vehicles i have dealt with so that would be a good place to start!

Sorry i would grab my service manual and give you a better answer but i'm sitting here being hassled by the kids this morning.

OHIO04KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I changed the 02 sensors 1/1 & 2/1 and cleared the code. Now 3 days later the engine light comes on again. It's giving the code P2096 = Down Stream Fuel System 1/2 Lean. Should I just drive it some and see if anything else pops up, or should the 1/2 02 sensor be changed?
Thanks,
Bill

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I changed the 02 sensors 1/1 & 2/1 and cleared the code. Now 3 days later the engine light comes on again. It's giving the code P2096 = Down Stream Fuel System 1/2 Lean. Should I just drive it some and see if anything else pops up, or should the 1/2 02 sensor be changed?
Thanks,
Bill

That's drivers side after the cat. I would give it a couple of days.

Just my opinion.

Dave

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well after replacing both bank 1 sensors and still getting codes for bank one it may be a bad cat.The cats have a 8 year/80,000 federal warranty as long as they have not been damaged(case damage).

OHIO04KJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I drove it some more in hopes that it would correct itself. It did. The light went out for 1 day then on the way home from work popped back on :( It still is giving the code P2096. I have read that people have had a hard time with this code. Could be a leak, bad cat, bad 02 sensor, or all. The guy at the zone suggested driving it some more in hopes it will clear/fix itself. Any suggestions will be entertained ;)

tour96se

Reaction score
my drivers side cat fell apart and clogged to the point where it was only running off 3cyls...ended up removing it and living with the down stream cel

kb0nly

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my drivers side cat fell apart and clogged to the point where it was only running off 3cyls...ended up removing it and living with the down stream cel

I did that on a car we used to have, problem is the fuel mileage dropped off and after a while i had overheating problems. It was running too rich or too lean depending on its mood. The downstream sensors aren't just for CAT efficiency on the KJ, the computer uses them to adjust fuel trim as well.

I would just toss on a new CAT and keep on trucking!!