P0038 code

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

XWrench3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so my daughter recently purchased a 07 Liberty to learn how to drive in. and driving down the road the other day, the check engine light came on. after pulling the code, its showing that the (i think) upstream O2 sensor has a hi temp reading? I am pretty good at replacing parts, and fixing mechanical issues. but i am NOT good with computer and electrical gremlins. I really don't know how important this is. is it something that NEEDS replacing? and what will happen if she just continues to drive it this way?

KJowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fueling is off, it will probably kill the cats if you leave it, won't do performance or fuel consumption any favours. I have a diesel so don't know how hard it is to get at, but I'd start with checking the wiring, then change the sensor.

Ksat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That code means there's problem with the heater circuit on the downstream O2 (after cat) on the passenger side. Diagnosis should probably start by testing the resistance of the O2's heater element. You do this by unplugging the sensors electrical connector, then probing the correct wires with an ohm meter to see if it's in spec.

If you don't have emission inspections in your state or are not overly concerned about possible environmental implications, you can just ignore the code, as it's not going to damage anything.

XWrench3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The fueling is off, it will probably kill the cats if you leave it, won't do performance or fuel consumption any favours. I have a diesel so don't know how hard it is to get at, but I'd start with checking the wiring, then change the sensor.
I didn't even think about the wiring. Thanks.

XWrench3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That code means there's problem with the heater circuit on the downstream O2 (after cat) on the passenger side. Diagnosis should probably start by testing the resistance of the O2's heater element. You do this by unplugging the sensors electrical connector, then probing the correct wires with an ohm meter to see if it's in spec.

If you don't have emission inspections in your state or are not overly concerned about possible environmental implications, you can just ignore the code, as it's not going to damage anything.
Well, since my daughter is not "mechanically oriented", I will have to fix it. So the check engine light will come back on when anything else goes wrong. I could see her driving the car with the engine clattering away with no oil in the engine. She is why we have these types of lights. She gets this from her mother. but my daughter is at least showing some interest in repairs. She will never become a mechanic (power sports) like me. but hopefully i can teach her enough to know when something is not right with it, so that she can tell me more than "the check engine" is on.