Transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chadjeepkj

Reaction score
Having trouble with th transmission I've had 2 rebuilds and still having a p0740 code come on and a hard 1-2nd shutter.ive checked wiring harness,and change profile. And transmission guy still said that it can't be his rebuild that's the problem. Wondering if anybody had suggestion on what it could be.

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
That's interesting. I just had mine rebuilt for the PO740. Did you have clutch material in your pan?

Tog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check out the torque converter

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

CactusJacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^ What he said. You should have gotten a new torque converter with the rebuild. If not, that's very likely the problem, as well as going to the wrong transmission guy for not replacing it.

Madlh24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, take it back and demand he rechecks everything, the fact is, the transmission is still failing, so, no, he didn't fix it. When the transmission failed on an 04 avalanche my cousin has, he had to take it back several times because it would still have issues, the mechanic in question would take a look at it no questions asked,any mechanic worth their salt will admit they might have missed something if what they were supposed to fix, wasn't fixed. Although preferably things would get all fixed the first time around,I know auto transmissions can be a pain.

If he fails to comply take it as a lesson learned and find a better mechanic. Unless you have the resources to sue or whatever.

Last edited:

Conundrum2006

Full Access Member
Reaction score
More the likely it's got to be the quality of the rebuild. There might be a few odd wiring things to cause a problem but are unlikely. I have no clue what controls the transmission older jeeps had a separate tcu .

I'd go back to the beginning, what was diagnosed by the shop what they claimed to have done to fix it and go from there.
My gut is this transmission shop (is it a transmission shop?) either does not know what they are doing or tried to do a band-Aid job while selling you a fix. This problem should have been sorted in their test drives before you got the keys back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When the tc fails they often dump bits of metal into the trans they float around in the fluid and lodge themselves in all kinda places resulting in failures mine needed new clutch drum for 3rd and new 2ndgear bands but if the tc was not replaced it would have continued dumping crud into the repaired trans

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk