transmission slips when cold

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

musky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lately my transmission has been slipping bad when the truck is cold,when it heats up it is ok any ideas why,or do i need another trans it is automatic and a 2004 liberty 4x4.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
lately my transmission has been slipping bad when the truck is cold,when it heats up it is ok any ideas why,or do i need another trans it is automatic and a 2004 liberty 4x4.

When was the transmission last serviced? Fluid and filter replacement was .... when?

musky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im not sure all have to take it in to be serviced i guess.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
What Jason said.

First thing to do is check the fluid level. Instructions are on the dip-stick, and use ATF+4 only.........anything else will trash your ******......

Dave

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right, check fluid level first, be sure it's at operating temperature on level ground, neutral or in park after cycling through the gears.

If the fluid is low, add to top it off. If it is dark, smelly, has a burnt odor to it, or otherwise does not look bright to medium red, just consider it a fact that it should have the fluid changed and filter replaced, as a start.

DO not do a transmission FLUSH... you only want either a pan drop or fluid EXCHANGE. The last thing you need is a flush to push debris and gunk all throughout the transmission.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Maintenance & clean fluids /lubes are key to a happy jeep. ATF+4 is the one to use.
I do not know how many miles are on your Jeep.
It is probably a good idea to service the trans every 40-50K miles.
Allow the dealer to do it with a year warranty for leaks. Or make sure you use the Mopar filter for 42RLE. (2004)
Always refer to the owners manual when it comes to any specified fluids, gear lubes etc.
Talking about gear lubes, have you serviced the rear diff recently as well?
Rear diff should be serviced frequently, every 30 k, and don't neglect the front diff & transfer case if you have a 4x4 too.
I hope changing the ATF+4 & new filter removes the slipping issue.
If you are at the dealer they should program in new fluid instructions, and have them program any firmware updates for your 42RLE as well. :gr_grin:

musky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maintenance & clean fluids /lubes are key to a happy jeep. ATF+4 is the one to use.
I do not know how many miles are on your Jeep.
It is probably a good idea to service the trans every 40-50K miles.
Allow the dealer to do it with a year warranty for leaks. Or make sure you use the Mopar filter for 42RLE. (2004)
Always refer to the owners manual when it comes to any specified fluids, gear lubes etc.
Talking about gear lubes, have you serviced the rear diff recently as well?
Rear diff should be serviced frequently, every 30 k, and don't neglect the front diff & transfer case if you have a 4x4 too.
I hope changing the ATF+4 & new filter removes the slipping issue.
If you are at the dealer they should program in new fluid instructions, and have them program any firmware updates for your 42RLE as well. :gr_grin:
im going to take it to a trans shop near me the dealer would be way to much money.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
im going to take it to a trans shop near me the dealer would be way to much money.

So the dealer price was way more than the trans shop? How much did the dealer and trans shop quote to you? I wouldn't get a ****** looked at anywhere without quotes first.

The one thing with the dealer is that they will know your jeep/****** intimately as they are factory trained for your ****** specificly. You will also get the right fluid which is critical.

Dave

HoosierJeeper

Gold Supporter/Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I had the opposite experience...my dealer had the KJ for 3 days when it was getting the PO740 and they didn't know why and just said they'll put a new transmission in it for $7000. Took it to a trans shop and they called back after a few hours of dropping it off and they figured out it was the TC and the reverse clutch (I think) was going out too. Ended up getting it rebuilt anyway- but this shop upgraded it and fixed some factory weak links at the same time for about $4600 I think. Got a better warranty too I think.

Get a few opinions.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score

When I worked at a dealership (service writer), everyone thought that we were automatically more expensive for such a thing as well... until they got quotes and shopped around. If we weren't the best price, we were within $20.

If it wasn't something like a VW or Audi that required $10/L fluid and took 2/5 hours to service, we were generally around $135 for a trans filter change and fluid exchange. The cost of the filter and fluid was the big variable, since it was only billed as a one-hour (100 time units) service, and maintenance was billed at a flat $76/hr.

Just get quotes before assuming the dealer would be way too much money.. unless you've already checked. You have to also account for the skill of the technician and their familiarity with your transmission model as well.

J33Pfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMO sounds like its time to look for a good junk yard transmission.

if I remember correctly, the cold no go is caused by all the internal rubber seals needing replacement. A fluid change could make it worse.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMO sounds like its time to look for a good junk yard transmission.

if I remember correctly, the cold no go is caused by all the internal rubber seals needing replacement. A fluid change could make it worse.

Interesting... where or when was this discussed or discovered? When cold, my 42RLE has a 2 second hesitation going from reverse to drive, but my fluid and filter are overdue for replacement, probably much like the OP's. Mine is not a "no go", but nonetheless....

J33Pfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting... where or when was this discussed or discovered? When cold, my 42RLE has a 2 second hesitation going from reverse to drive, but my fluid and filter are overdue for replacement, probably much like the OP's. Mine is not a "no go", but nonetheless....

sorry! "been slipping bad" reminded me of "no go" I worked on. The car really had to warm up in order to drive away. bad clutches or seals.....

IMO - OP needs a new transmission. changing fluid & filters at this point is too late and a waste of money & time. but thats from my experience not yours.

GunnerSchenck

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Mines had a hesitation from park to drive for.. almost a year I'd say.
Imo, it seems more cost effective and sensible to do a fluid and filter change than to just jump to getting a new transmission.. who knows how long the tray could hang in there for, could be a month or could be 5 years.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mines had a hesitation from park to drive for.. almost a year I'd say.
Imo, it seems more cost effective and sensible to do a fluid and filter change than to just jump to getting a new transmission.. who knows how long the tray could hang in there for, could be a month or could be 5 years.

Indeed... In the summer, I don't even notice the issue, as the fluid is always somewhat warm to begin with and not 40 degrees. In my case, if the vehicle warms up for even just 3-5 minutes that is enough to not notice. So on my KJ, I'm thinking it's just a fluid viscosity issue or line pressure thing related to broken down fluid or a more restrictive filter.

If the threat of cold and 5-8" of snow ever stops in MI... I'd get around to changing it. The disadvantages of a single car garage filled with motorcycles, tools and summer patio furniture...

So let me introduce this, since it's germane to the thread: On other Jeep forums, where the 42RLE is discussed, they say that it "likes" to be, and runs better when overfilled with fluid by up to 1qt.

Any truth to this, specifically as it relates to the 42RLE in the KJ?

J33Pfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Indeed... In the summer, I don't even notice the issue, as the fluid is always somewhat warm to begin with and not 40 degrees. In my case, if the vehicle warms up for even just 3-5 minutes that is enough to not notice. So on my KJ, I'm thinking it's just a fluid viscosity issue or line pressure thing related to broken down fluid or a more restrictive filter.

If the threat of cold and 5-8" of snow ever stops in MI... I'd get around to changing it. The disadvantages of a single car garage filled with motorcycles, tools and summer patio furniture...

So let me introduce this, since it's germane to the thread: On other Jeep forums, where the 42RLE is discussed, they say that it "likes" to be, and runs better when overfilled with fluid by up to 1qt.

Any truth to this, specifically as it relates to the 42RLE in the KJ?

Id love to hear about that!

(popcorn)

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Id love to hear about that!

(popcorn)

What I had read was that it runs cooler, line pressures remain more stable, and when off-roading, if on steeper angles, you avoid transmission stalling because all the fluid ran to a side of the pan opposite the pickup tube... that 1qt overfill helped mitigate that.

Not sure how much all of that matters if you don't go off-road, or limit it to trails and such.. but it was fairly consistent recommendations across the varying forums. Most of the vehicles were older Wranglers or some generation, or other Jeeps and MOPAR vehicles using the same transmission. I don't even know if our 42RLE is essentially identical and the same principle applies or not.. I'd like to think so.

J33Pfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What I had read was that it runs cooler, line pressures remain more stable, and when off-roading, if on steeper angles, you avoid transmission stalling because all the fluid ran to a side of the pan opposite the pickup tube... that 1qt overfill helped mitigate that.

Not sure how much all of that matters if you don't go off-road, or limit it to trails and such.. but it was fairly consistent recommendations across the varying forums. Most of the vehicles were older Wranglers or some generation, or other Jeeps and MOPAR vehicles using the same transmission. I don't even know if our 42RLE is essentially identical and the same principle applies or not.. I'd like to think so.

if it doesnt fly out the overflow tube its worth the try. Just need someone to test it with a code reader on board to keep an eye on the trans temp.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if it doesnt fly out the overflow tube its worth the try. Just need someone to test it with a code reader on board to keep an eye on the trans temp.

My Innova 3160d can read that. I'm overfilled by about a quarter of a quart now (added too much top off) and haven't had issues. Adding three times that might be different though. lol.