transmission slips when cold

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J33Pfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Innova 3160d can read that. I'm overfilled by about a quarter of a quart now (added too much top off) and haven't had issues. Adding three times that might be different though. lol.

ok but is there a temp change with the extra fluid?

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok but is there a temp change with the extra fluid?

I'll have to run the experiment and see. I was only pointing out that my diag scanner should be able to give me trans temps... so I can change my fluid and filter, get a baseline reading, then add the extra quart and see if it's any different. I doubt it'll be much, if any.

musky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
called the trans shop today i have to take it in next wed,he said the filter and proper fluid levels even if old would not make it slip im thinking i might have to hit the wrecking yard,but i will see what he says first.

J33Pfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
called the trans shop today i have to take it in next wed,he said the filter and proper fluid levels even if old would not make it slip im thinking i might have to hit the wrecking yard,but i will see what he says first.

yea, i've changed fluids & filter for a lot of customers and it was a waste of their money.

but if you can still drive it safely, keep going as is.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Eh... I've seen old fluid plenty of times cause a slight slip condition. I think in this case there is something more going on, probably in addition to a fluid and filter issue.

At this point, probably no reason to change those two items, just ensure fluid is up to level.

musky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i checked the fluid today and got nothing on the dip stick SO I PUT SOME IN i dont see it leaking anywhere?

J33Pfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i checked the fluid today and got nothing on the dip stick SO I PUT SOME IN i dont see it leaking anywhere?

keep looking! I hope its not in the radiator!

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score

Well, I hope that was it and you don't need a new ******. Is it shifting better?

ATF+4 ****** fluid right?

Dave

musky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i filled it up then checked like a few hours later and it was on the cold level even though the engine and trans was warm i do smell something burning for a few weeks now but i thought it was oil leak from the valve cover because i get a little light white smoke comming from behind the engine when it is hot maybe its a ****** line leaking and not a oil leak.

yes ATF+4 ****** fluid

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Try to follow the lines from the ****** to the cooler and see if one is leaking. Might be dripping on exhaust somehow? Just had to rig one up on my Ranger that was running up to the front cooler (it has in rad and aux coolers). Metal line had a pinhole.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the 42rle has 2 speed sensors on the outside that could leak as well.
Might be worth it to check those and also the pan.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

1 - INPUT SPEED SENSOR
2 - OUTPUT SPEED SENSOR
3 - TRANSMISSION RANGE SENSOR

musky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i brought it in to my mech today and am having the valve cover gasket changed he also said ****** lines were leaking a bit so i hope that will solve my ****** problems also,

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.