Transmission slipping/not engaging

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GeekFisher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Yesterday my 03 KJ start to not engaged properly when cold, like its staying in neutral. If I rev it it ends up engaging but will do the dame every few Stop Signs till its been riden for a mile or so and after that works just fine. My part Time/4lo dash Lights stops Working a few months ago if that can help. I never serviced the transmission fluid, it might then be low ? Solenoid?

Thanks for your help. Jeep has 185000 km (110k miles)

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check fluid first and let us know.

Does it have the 42RLE or the 45RFE? An 03 could have either.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Ya on level ground hot after driving for 20 minutes or so, check the level on the ATF+4 fluid. Does it smell burnt at all? I doubt it will look nice and red/clean.
If you have never serviced the trans at that many miles/km- it is way overdue!
The dealer for a reasonable price has the re-circulating machine and it will be job done right with new filter etc.

GeekFisher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ya on level ground hot after driving for 20 minutes or so, check the level on the ATF+4 fluid. Does it smell burnt at all? I doubt it will look nice and red/clean.
If you have never serviced the trans at that many miles/km- it is way overdue!
The dealer for a reasonable price has the re-circulating machine and it will be job done right with new filter etc.

42RLE. I Will check level this week, its smelled bad yesterday Night but today was OK. Do I really need to Drive it 20min to get it hot ? Its not my daily driver so no big deal this week.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Transmission fluid take a while to heat up, & the more you drive the more the fluid expands up the dipstick.
So ya 20 minutes is a good figure.
ATF+4 only gets used..& once again since it smells nasty by the sounds of it...
The dealer's recirculating machine is a bonus... as it will get rid of what is also in the torque converter.

GeekFisher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Topped it off and so far so good. I still will have it serviced in a few weeks.

JasonJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A good plan. Mine was acting similar but not as severe... my trans pan was leaking as well so I knew that the fluid level was dropping every once in a while.

Replaced the trans pan, filter and put in new fluid (obviously not all fluid as I only dropped the pan) and even with just that, it was night and day difference in how it drove, felt, shifted, and even how much power it seemed to have.