Transmission Pan Bolt Torque??? & Thanks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

deboy922

Reaction score
I replaced the transmission filter with a kit from NAPA - ATP 17077. I used the rubber gasket from the kit and torqued the pan bolts to 165 in-lbs. I cleaned the surfaces well, hand tightened bolts, snugged in a criss-cross pattern, & torqued to 165 in-lbs.

The gasket is now leaking.

I remember the NAPA instruction had a lower torque value, but I cannot remember the value and threw away the instructions. I am thinking about loosening the bolts and re-tightening to maybe 144 in-lbs???

Thoughts or other suggestions??? Thank you.

P.S - I also recently replaced my leaky radiator. Thank you to everyone for the info on this forum. I could not have done it without you!

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FSM for the 42rle is 165in-lb

Check the external sensors.
I think the 42rle has three external speed sensors on the driver side.

Last edited:

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Ya leaking stamped steel trashsmission pan! I've been through this over & over again at dealer.
Factory was an RTV sealant job, still leaked! If you are going to use a gasket the best is a Lubelocker 42RLE.
You have to prep absolutely spotless on mating surfaces, plastic scraper...
& Inspect current pan to be absolutely level and no bends anywhere, including around bolt holes.
Starting with a new OEM pan and lubelocker is a good plan.
Or get a perfectly level, machined aluminum PML 42RLE with drain plug, more capacity, better cooling, and be good to go.
57304[/ATTACH]"]
You must be registered for see images attach

No more leaks.

Attachments

• 42RLELubeLocker.jpg
    42RLELubeLocker.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

deboy922

Reaction score
I was wondering if the 165 in-lbs is for use with RTV??? I know the directions on the kit had a lower torque value, but I am not sure what it was.

Maybe I should loosen and re-torque them to 165 in-lbs? Would doing it hot help?

I will check the sensors...thank you for the suggestion. But I am pretty sure it is leaking around the gasket on the driver's side. It is leaving a few drips on the floor each night, so I am going to fix it. It was not doing this before I changed the fluid last weekend.

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FSM calls for RTV.

could call napa an ask about the torque specs.

This is one maintenance I don't think I'll ever DIY.

deboy922

Reaction score
My surfaces are flat. I used RTV the first time and have used gaskets on subsequent filter changes. The gaskets have been more of a paper type instead of this rubber type. I have always torqued to 165 in-lbs. The paper gaskets had some seepage, but now I have dripping.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
RTV can work well if the pan & mating surfaces are perfect but good long term?
IDK if others have had great success with RTV & completely leak free pans?
Mine with stamped pan & after 2 dealer services, even started leaking again within about 3 months.
The RTV edge had cracked, partially broken away, at edge...leak. drip drip..
57306[/ATTACH]"]

After 3 dealer trips (ya like I got time for this game) I decided Lubelocker and a new Pan was my long term solution/salvation! :gr_grin:
Will look at lube locker torq specs if I have them..stand by..
Found specs see photo on LL gasket torque specs...
57308[/ATTACH]"]

Ask Napa what their specs are..!!

Attachments

• Transmission%20Pan%20RTV.jpg
    Transmission%20Pan%20RTV.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 1
  • LubeLocker%2042RLE%20Specs.jpg
    LubeLocker%2042RLE%20Specs.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MOPAR part #5010884AA = solution to leaking trans pan.

Never use any type of gasket on any Chrysler trans made in the last 20 years if using the stock trans pan.Only use the above part # ATF RTV from the dealer.

fishyx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went through this about 8 months ago with an old leaky 2002. Dropped the pan, changed some fluid and sealed it up perfectly with RTV. Unfortunately, it wasn't the pan that was leaking!!! A sensor above the pan was the culprit.

LONGJEEPOWNER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just had a new torque converter installed and the ****** serviced with filter and oil. I was there watching and they use RTV sealant on the pan. I asked he service guy about that and he said that's what the 42rle requires from the factory. No leaks here Billet machine torque converter works great.

ltd02

Comfortably numb
KJ Supporting Member
Reaction score