Transmission issue, help before dawn !

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

diyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi guys.

I'm helping another KJer who, while visiting my area, and not planning to stay overnight, reported various, and serious transmission issues, like slippage,
failing to insert gears, limited speed ( not sure if that IS the 'limp mode' ) :(

So I was called to the rescue, pulled out plenty of codes, most about solenoids, stuck TCC, defective pressure sensors and so on. First code is of course
P0700, but we have P1175, P0746 too... (anyone wants one :) )

As I guess that all sensors can't be dead at the same time, I suspect it's a loose electrical connection, AFAIK all the above sensors are included
in the (in)famous solenoid pack, which is fed by just 1 (one) wire, if I've read the schematics properly... I know the fuse is #5 and relay says EATX,
but, if it's not due to relays, then my second guess is about be wiring, everyone's nightmare! I'll call him tomorrow morning, so, any clue is welcome....

PS : No dealerships within 50/60 miles and no spare parts available....just some tools and...crossfingers. Let's hope some contact cleaner will do!

diyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks JeepJeeepster. Year is '05, according to VIN (remember, vehicles NOT assembled in Toledo).

Anyway, some updates. A bit of contact cleaner on fuse #5 and EATX contacts did a lot. All solenoid pack codes GONE. A Diag Code mentioning an incorrect gear ratio was still present, but went away after a while.

And, while I was at it, I changed 242's fluid, which, after almost 6 years was .... CLEAR??? NOOOOO, WRONG ANSWER...!!!!!!! And, even if I'm about to get a permanent ban for that, I put ..... DexIII!!!!! peepwall.gif

Anyway, vehicle goes much much better, but still looses 'push' ( like putting into Neutral ) on ramps or steep roads. IMHO if that was due the RLE42 this would almost certainly fire a lot of troble codes, and we have none! You guys should see the color of the ****** fluid BTW... I warned him that a ****** pan drop is long overdue.

Ah, he's also has troubles with 4WD leverage and position sensor too... may be the 242 playing up???

PS: I had to re-edit my post, I don't know whats up with page formatting, or it's just me...

Last edited:

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Putting DexIII in the tcase isnt as bad as using it in the ******.. I would still rather have ATF+4 in there.

If the ****** has never had the fluid changed then its probably well over due depending on how many miles it has on it. Dropping the pan will only get around 4-5 quarts of oil, which isnt all of the fluid by any means. Getting a flush as a Jeep dealership wouldnt hurt, as long as its a Jeep dealership and not a jiffylube, etc.

What problems is he having out of the tcase shifter?

The reason I asked what year the Jeep was, some libertys have a separate computer for the ****** while others have the ******/PCM in the same thing. His has it all in one. Amazing its doing better just by cleaning a fuse???

diyman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
About the relay and fuse, there's a reason. According to the FSM the solenoid pack, which apparently includes most sensors, has only 1 (one) wire, positive, which comes from the fuse/relays box. If supply becomes intermittent due to oxidation, then performance of the whole pack might as well be erratic ( unless, of course, wire itself was damaged ), IMHO.

Don't worry, I have already warned the owner about the 'prohibition' of using any other fluid but ATF+4 in the ******... FSM says same for transfer, but in my head, as Cherokees' FSM said DEXII for the same xfer and not seing many with the thing broken down, I inferred DEXIII wouldn't be so bad... always IMHO. (price is 1/5 of atf+4)

We were all paying attention to the ******, but, as it seems to be shifting fine, the KJ behaves almost like when, say, xfer hasn't engaged properly. He had issues with the sensor and the shifer cable (4x4) too. Anyway as he goes back home ( hope he gets there...) he'll have the KJ checked at the stealership.

Yes, a flush would't be bad idea ( don't forget TCM relearn by doing this ), but maybe a couple of filter + 4 qt of atf+4 changes, with say a 15 kmiles gap in between,might help as well..

Unfortunately, here, most mechanics' common beliefs:

- Differential oil change - ' WHY ? the gears don't do anything, so why bother.. (damn)
- Transfer case - ' WHY ? You don't use 4x4 all the time, do You ??? (x2 damn)
- ****** fluid - Don't ever touch anything, or it will start acting funny and break down... (3x damn)
- PSF - 'Any leaks, no??? Then leave it alone..' (4x damn)

I've seen mechanics (???) reusing old DEX/ATF :eek: screwy.gif

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, here, most mechanics' common beliefs:

- Differential oil change - ' WHY ? the gears don't do anything, so why bother.. (damn)
- Transfer case - ' WHY ? You don't use 4x4 all the time, do You ??? (x2 damn)
- ****** fluid - Don't ever touch anything, or it will start acting funny and break down... (3x damn)
- PSF - 'Any leaks, no??? Then leave it alone..' (4x damn)

I've seen mechanics (???) reusing old DEX/ATF :eek: screwy.gif

And that is exactly why so many cars never make it over 100k without major problems. Idiots

Latest posts

Members online