Transmission broke again!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dizzydevil

Full Access Member
Reaction score
3 weeks ago had my transmission replaced because it stopped working it slipped out of gear and got hot. Got replaced, then the transfer case selector was bad changed that got the truck back was driving for roughly 3 days out of the shop and the check engine light came on for misfires p0300 and p0302 and the transmission code p0700. Changed the spark plugs and coil packs, all the codes went away including the p0700. Drove fine all day Saturday and Sunday. Took on Highway this morning got up to 70 MPH and then exactly 30 miles out the check engine light came on and transmission temperature light too. I felt it slip gears and I immediately pulled over an shut it down checking the fluid level it was fine but steaming hot. Then checked code and p0700 was back transmission will not shift in reverse and it slips in drive and then doesn't move. So now back at shop this transmission is under warranty but what would cause this to happen twice on 2 separate transmissions ?

Dizzydevil

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Horrible luck? What were you doing when it failed? We you passing or accelerating?
Cruise control set at 70 MPH, started acceleration up a hill and temp light and engine light came on. Then started decelerate til I pulled over , tried to accelerate to avoid a truck and would not move engine revved rpms like it was in neutral. I managed to get out of the trucks way and stop on side of the road. Got out checked the fluid level and was OK but was steaming off the dip stick. Checked for leaks found none then shut it off let it cool down checked for codes p0700 showed up. Few minutes went by checked the temp light it went off but engine light stayed transmission won't move in reverse but slips in drive and slowly creeps. Tow truck showed up and now it's back in the shop that installed the transmission. Waiting on the diagnosis so I can get the place I bought the transmission to replace under the warranty.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like the trans cooler lines are plugged or the cooler is plugged. What year is your KJ?

Bob

renegade 04

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you need to first get new transmission cooler lines and get a new transmission cooler, and well you are at it mine as well install the in radiator transmission cooler as well from a 2002 to 2003.

LibertyTC

Staff member
Reaction score
Re building done right is good, re building done half fast is not good.
The great news is... that it's under warranty.
Even though I don't want to lay blame on what really went wrong, any transmission shop should know that the cooler/ lines need to be flushed out before a new installation.
If I was ever doing a new trans install, a new larger cooler, definitely would be considered.
Be curious to hear if they tell you what happened to cause it to overheat so quickly!

Dizzydevil

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well the transmission is under warranty but if the shop screwed up the installation then they will be the ones paying for it. I won't, and if they try some bs like try and charge me to re do the job I will sue them.

Dizzydevil

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The '03+(if you have the 42RLE trans) trans cooler can not be flushed,must be replaced because of the design of it.

Thanks for the tip. Waiting on the new transmission to arrive, should be here on Wednesday and installed by Friday. I bought a new cooler and lines to go on it too I felt it would just be easier in case it was clogged.

Dizzydevil

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Update: got my Jeep back put new oil cooler on it old one had something lodged inside , broken teeth from some of the gears. But now the transmission is replaced and I am back on the road. Hope no more issues, Next job though is my radiator I have to replace because that cheap plastic crud cracked and is leaking. I already have the part just need a dry day to put it in.

Latest posts

Members online