2005 Liberty 42RLE

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Winston Smith

Reaction score
Taken quite q while but finally figured out what exactly is wrong with son in laws Jeep. (he only gets one day off a week and I can't physically do so much since spine surgery)
full planetary has 'exploded'
Front carrier/rear annulus planetary gears have broken up, broken teeth have destroyed the rear one
These are the parts I need 1,4,5,6 in diagram (haven't taken pictures of destroyed parts yet - tomorrow)
You must be registered for see images attach

What's available for upgrades? We simply can't afford to buy a new /reconditioned trans so it's getting re-built with hopefully stronger gears

Last edited:

Winston Smith

Reaction score
As promised, some pictures of the carnage:thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

gear teeth have wear about 1mm (approx 0.040") deep over the band shown

One of the planetary gears broke in two which is what probably caused the rest of the wreckage?

Picture of inside planetary, still a few teeth left

The outside of planetary, the gear actually could turn on it's shaft

I guess I got too close with this one but you can still see the sun gear has no teeth

Now, the really strange thing is the clutch plates look perfect, no burning or excess wear. Only one plate is showing any wear at all. I forgot to get a picture of it)
The fluid was clean and not burned (the previous fluid change was clean as well)
Don't think JB Weld and Duct tape is going to fix this

Winston Smith

Reaction score
Cost just about $700.00 for everything to completely recondition transmission. Fitted all new clutch plates even though we could probably have re-used the originals
Finally had time to put everything together.
Made a 'low profile' transmission drain plug. Only 6mm drain bolt but way better than the original.
Had a oil block off plug so I drilled and tapped centre. (probably a Suzuki SACS motor plug, did I mention I'm a motorcycle tech?) Had to modify a 12mm (17mm across flats) nut to fit the 14x1.25 thread on plug as I couldn't find a 14x1.25 nut laying around (plus I wanted a flanged nut for extra surface area). Crush washer and sealer on inside, red loctite on threads / nut. If nut should ever loosen off, bolt can't fall out (as with the aftermarket bolt/nylon washer)

Last edited:

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice job, Winston.

Dave