Transmision Fluid recommendation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

black snow

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went to this oil change place and then ask for a quote for a transmission job. I almost agree to them until the time I asked them about the transmission fluid that they gonna use. I know that I need to use ATF +4 so I was not convinced.

They say they are using a Dexron-III and then will put this synthetic thing in the bottle which says that it will transform the dexron into an equivalent ATF+4. They were convincing me that it is just the same thing.

Now I dunno what to say or what to do. They told me that that's what other shops do too.

Please enlighten me on this thing.

Spidey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is not recommended, as it is NOT the same thing, no matter what they add. Simple solution though, bring your own fluid to them, if their equipment will allow it to be done that way. Check here for a list of licensed ATF+4 fluids.

belvedere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do not use the Dex + converter. Use the real stuff: ATF+4.

long_tall_texan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
x2 Do not let them put Dexron III in your Jeep. Use only ATF+4. Adding Magical Mystery oil does not change Dexron to AFT+4. AFT+4 is a higher level synthetic ATF than Dexrons. Additive can not change the molecular structure.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's why people have trouble with their transmissions. These fast lube places don't use the correct fluids. It is not the same thing. I will bet that (someone using the wrong fluids) is the cause of a lot of ****** problems that people blame on the ******.

Use ATF+4 only as your manual says.

Dave

R

RoyalDudeness

Dude knows, never use the dexron or any additives to anything; you got to use the ATF+4. Dude read it is specially prepared and formulated for us. Dude believes and read it is a full synthetic fluid anyway so there would be no need for additives.

osufans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
definitely only use ATF+4....there's an article i believe out at allpar.com that mentions the need for ATF+4, and i know i've seen something regarding the use of additives and it is still not adequate.

many a transmission was blown, even by Chrysler dealers, for using the wrong ****** fluid.

either take it someplace else, or see if they will use your fluid if you bring your own.

RageOfFury

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1- ATF+4 ONLY!
2- When it come's to Chrysler transmissions, trust only a Chrysler dealership. You'll likely pay more than some shop, but they will service the ****** properly and according to Chrysler's recommendations and specs.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ATF+4 = full synthetic

DEXII/III = dino oil(non-synthetic)

No way to convert non-synthetic to full synthetic by adding a bottle of stuff to it.They also have very different additive packages.Amsoil ATF is not even speced for your trans and is not recommended by Chrysler either.

JeepKj03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea ATF+4 all the way and if your going to pay someone to change your trans fluid get it flushed.

k99jk99j

Full Access Member
Reaction score
run far! and when you do find a shop to use atf+4 watch them pour it in! mike

JJsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ATF+4 = full synthetic

DEXII/III = dino oil(non-synthetic)

No way to convert non-synthetic to full synthetic by adding a bottle of stuff to it.They also have very different additive packages. Amsoil ATF is not even speced for your trans and is not recommended by Chrysler either.

Just because they didn't pay to make The list? Please. "ATF+4" must be some magical stuff.

I will agree that adding to non-syn DEX isn't going to do a damn thing to make it comparable to ATF+4.

belvedere

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just because they didn't pay to make The list? Please. "ATF+4" must be some magical stuff.

AMSOIL ATF couldn't "make the list". In order to be licensed ATF+4, the fluid must contain a specific additive package. Yes, they actually spec the exact add pack to be used.

I know AMSOIL makes quality products in general. I just have a problem with these "one size fits all" ATFs that are so common. They are nothing more than a compromise, as far as frictional characteristics. IOW, they may work OK in several applications, but are not ideal in any of them.

ATF+4 is no more magic than Dex VI, or Merc V, etc. Each simply has certain characteristics that are different than the others.

JJsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AMSOIL ATF couldn't "make the list". In order to be licensed ATF+4, the fluid must contain a specific additive package. Yes, they actually spec the exact add pack to be used.

I know AMSOIL makes quality products in general. I just have a problem with these "one size fits all" ATFs that are so common. They are nothing more than a compromise, as far as frictional characteristics. IOW, they may work OK in several applications, but are not ideal in any of them.

ATF+4 is no more magic than Dex VI, or Merc V, etc. Each simply has certain characteristics that are different than the others.

Source for all that info? Amsoil Did not submit for licensing which is the real reason they are not on the list. As far as anyone knows, Amsoil Could have the exact same additive package and then some, they are not sharing That info w/ anyone.
Can anyone Prove that there is a magical potion in ATF+4 that can't be duplicated or bettered? Don't let Chryslers center for QA fool ya, because they own the ATF+4 trademark, you gotta pay to say it meets their specs/formulation. that does not mean it is the best fluid on the market for the job.