Trans Temp

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

funnnyfarm

Reaction score
I have a 2005 Renegade. Dose anyone know what temperature the transmission temperature sender turns the transmission temperature indicator lite on. I don't have a problem with the transmission getting hot all the time. Just when I pull a grade in mountains with the Quads on the trailer , but cools down fast. Just trying to take care of my jeep. Thanks funnnyfarm

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay let me first ask you if you have the factory trailer package? My 2004 Liberty Sport came with the factory trailer package which means it came with a transmission cooler and the mechanical clutch fan.

If you do have the factory towing package and you're still overheating check your electric radiator fan. My transmission would often overheat but not while towing but while offroading in 4WD. It turned out to be my electric radiator fan. Now that I've replaced it all is well.

Here's a quote from the 02 to 07 factory service manual;
"Trans Over-Temp Lamp-On Message - Each time the cluster receives a trans over-temp lamp-on message from the PCM indicating that the transmission fluid temperature is 135° C (275° F) or higher, the indicator will be illuminated. The indicator remains illuminated until the cluster receives a trans over-temp lamp-off message from the PCM, or until the ignition switch is turned to the Off position, whichever occurs first."

There's no transmission temp gauge on the dash but you can watch your water temp gauge. If it starts to climb then you can expect the transmission over temp indicator to come on soon after.

Here's a couple of other threads discussing transmission temps;
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35980&page=2
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=39479

J-Thompson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow 275* is over temp ,wow
I installed an after market cooler for the trans and a trans temp gauge
I have yet to see a temp above 160* on my trans
This is on an '02 TJ with the TF999 auto so a little different than the KJ

Here are some things to try
#1 turn off the OD
#2 make sure your engine cooling system is working properly ,fans and radiator
if these are good and you still have issues then you could install the same cooler I
have on the TJ
install it after the radiator
also install a temp gauge for the trans but install it after the coolers so you know what temp the fluid is when it hits the trans ,pan temp

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your trans fluid temp hits 200 degrees your ATF's life has been reduced by half.At 275 degrees your ATF has about 500 miles left before it does not do what it is meant to do.If you hit 300 degrees your fluid is toast as is your trans.

LibertyFever

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your trans fluid temp hits 200 degrees your ATF's life has been reduced by half.At 275 degrees your ATF has about 500 miles left before it does not do what it is meant to do.If you hit 300 degrees your fluid is toast as is your trans.

Good to know tjkj2002, thanks for the info.

funnnyfarm

Reaction score
Thank for the tips. I thought there mite be a sender in the transmission , now I know. I just changed the transmission fluid , looks like I'll do it again , fluid is cheaper than a transmission. I know the electric fan is working , but I will look in to a better cooler for the transmission. I tell you the KJ is a climber , I had a 74 CJ-5 , all locked up , 350 with 350 behind it and my renegade has been everywhere my CJ has been. and no dust with AC on. Where would be the best place to install the extra cooler? I have a ARB bumper with a wench. Thanks funnnyfarm