****** Flush - Some Questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GeneralPatton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
****** Drain and Refill - Some Questions

Okay so looking to flush out the ****** and fix the leak i have coming from the pan.

Ive done some searching and while did some up with some information just wanted to confirm it all.

Being that I have a 2002 Liberty it looks like I have the 45RFE ******

based on here: http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f196/42rle-45rfe-transmission-filter-gasket-info-40498/

which holds 5quarts of ATF4+ fluid

based on here: http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/f196/required-fluid-types-45270/

now since I have the 4x4 i need a specific sump filter....

but back to the first link its missing pictures so im still not sure of which sump filter i need minus looking online (see below)

https://www.1aauto.com/transmission-sump-filter-mopar-5013470ae/i/mptof00002?f=944130&y=2002

I'm also a bit confused between the recommendations on RTV vs gasket and it looks like my year can go either way....the local shop does have a gasket for my year and i think the pan currently has a gasket (er whats left of it) in there.

Any advice would be appreciated =)

Last edited:

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Flushing usually isn't a good idea if it hasn't been done consistently and you have some miles on it. Draining the fluid, then replacing fluid and filters is different.

GeneralPatton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Flushing usually isn't a good idea if it hasn't been done consistently and you have some miles on it. Draining the fluid, then replacing fluid and filters is different.

Okay this is what im talking about, Ill change up the title =)

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
proper fluid exchanges will be fine.

I had my filters changed by a shop and they used a gasket and fortunately I have no leaks.
FSM calls for RTV.

the 45rfe has 2 filters : the spin on and the sump filters.

GeneralPatton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
proper fluid exchanges will be fine.

I had my filters changed by a shop and they used a gasket and fortunately I have no leaks.
FSM calls for RTV.

the 45rfe has 2 filters : the spin on and the sump filters.

Should I replace both? And damn why!

Any recommendations on a brand for the RTV?

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes. replace both.
The spin on filter is for the ****** cooler return line. look for a kit that will include the 2 filters and gasket.

I think RTV would be up to the user. I think mopar has a specific rtv for it.

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only get the Filter kit from the dealership and while you are there pick up a tube of the specific RTV for the trans pan.Your trans pan and trans case is machine for RTV,not a gasket.

The dealership is the only place to get the updated "spin on" trans filter,the others are known to fail causing no flow through the cooler which will kill your trans.

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Check ID Parts for a filter kit. Pretty sure the 45 RFE is what's in the CRDs. Spin on filter goes inside the pan. The screen filter should come with a seal that fits around the pickup tube. Old seal needs to be removed and new seal needs to be set into the transmission or it'll be sucking air. Black RTV worked fine for me. Retorque gently after about 20 minutes and wait as long as the RTV tube says for it to cure before you add fluid or drive. 12-24 hours?

GeneralPatton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Only get the Filter kit from the dealership and while you are there pick up a tube of the specific RTV for the trans pan.Your trans pan and trans case is machine for RTV,not a gasket.

The dealership is the only place to get the updated "spin on" trans filter,the others are known to fail causing no flow through the cooler which will kill your trans.

Gotcha, I'll give a call to the local dealer and price out this week.

Check ID Parts for a filter kit. Pretty sure the 45 RFE is what's in the CRDs. Spin on filter goes inside the pan. The screen filter should come with a seal that fits around the pickup tube. Old seal needs to be removed and new seal needs to be set into the transmission or it'll be sucking air. Black RTV worked fine for me. Retorque gently after about 20 minutes and wait as long as the RTV tube says for it to cure before you add fluid or drive. 12-24 hours?

Oh boy where do I begin...I feel like an idiot

ID Parts? CRD's?

Imagining that the "screen filter" part is the sump filter I'm seeing online?

Black RTV being a brand or just a color?

Also many thanks for both your helps!

uss2defiant

Full Access Member
Reaction score

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On the RFE make sure you get the grommet out for the suction filter, new filter will come with one and some people forget and try to shove the new grommet and filter into the old one and it causes problems.

GeneralPatton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
look for RTV that will work specifically for transmission fluid.
for example https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-81180-Automatic-Transmission-Sealant/dp/B0018PSATO?th=1

the screen filter is probably the sump filter.

usually local dealers will be more expansive than dealers who have an online store.
can try moparwholesaleparts.com
sump - 05013470AC
spin on - 04799662

part number may be superceeded by something new.

Thanks so much! RTV ordered as well as the filters.

Appreciate all the help!

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
ID Parts? CRD's?

Imagining that the "screen filter" part is the sump filter I'm seeing online?

Black RTV being a brand or just a color?

Good questions!

ID Parts has stuff for VW diesels and Jeep CRD diesels, maybe others too. I got my transmission filters from them.

Screen/sump filter is a stamped steel construct with a tube sticking out of the top. It's there to catch big chunks. I found several metal chips from drilling at the factory.

There are a lot of different kinds of RTV for home, garden, and auto. Auto parts places seem to always have black, orange(red?), and blue RTV from Permatex(?). Black glues itself to the (clean) surfaces and as to be razorbladed off. Orange/red doesn't stick as much; it peels off when the time comes for that. Orange/red RTV specializes for high heat. I use it along with the right gasket for sealing exhaust pipe connections on bikes and snowmachines... Loong cure time and expect it to stink for a few rides. I use orange/red most of the time with or without a gasket. Blue RTV doesn't glue itself to surfaces much. I've pulled so much blue RTV out of engines I hardly ever use it. Folks use too much and it gets loose inside plugging oil galleries and causing problems.

So there you have it. There may be more colors and I might be wrong. It's happened before.

GeneralPatton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good questions!

ID Parts has stuff for VW diesels and Jeep CRD diesels, maybe others too. I got my transmission filters from them.

Screen/sump filter is a stamped steel construct with a tube sticking out of the top. It's there to catch big chunks. I found several metal chips from drilling at the factory.

There are a lot of different kinds of RTV for home, garden, and auto. Auto parts places seem to always have black, orange(red?), and blue RTV from Permatex(?). Black glues itself to the (clean) surfaces and as to be razorbladed off. Orange/red doesn't stick as much; it peels off when the time comes for that. Orange/red RTV specializes for high heat. I use it along with the right gasket for sealing exhaust pipe connections on bikes and snowmachines... Loong cure time and expect it to stink for a few rides. I use orange/red most of the time with or without a gasket. Blue RTV doesn't glue itself to surfaces much. I've pulled so much blue RTV out of engines I hardly ever use it. Folks use too much and it gets loose inside plugging oil galleries and causing problems.

So there you have it. There may be more colors and I might be wrong. It's happened before.

Just got schooled thanks so much!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

GeneralPatton

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright one more thing, anyone have a recommendation on fluid? Locally I've got stp and Castrol kind of meh on both brands

tjkj2002

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright one more thing, anyone have a recommendation on fluid? Locally I've got stp and Castrol kind of meh on both brands

If it has giant letters on the bottle that say's "ATF+4" your good to go.They all are the same as Chrysler must test it to carry the ATF+4 badge.They all are full synthetic ATF so the advance auto parts house brand ATF+4 is no different then the MOPAR ATF+4 you buy at the dealership.