trailer wiring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ken270741

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I Have an 06 Liberty sport that i installed a hitch on a few years back. Never really needed the lights so i never bothered with a wiring harness. I would like to add at least a 4 pin now......any recommendations from anyone with good or bad experiences with any of the particular kits out there??
How hard are they to wire in??
thanks in advance

Ken

Neb1373

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got mine from a trailer place in town. Don't know the name of the kit. A lot of people on here use the mopar kits. Do a YouTube search and you will find a quick easy plug & play install. Just make sure the plastic lining on your taillight doesn't fall down on your bulbs when jarring your taillights loose. I will post a link later as to what it will do. Most of the kits I've seen for the Libby are plug and plays and real easy to do.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I Have an 06 Liberty sport that i installed a hitch on a few years back. Never really needed the lights so i never bothered with a wiring harness. I would like to add at least a 4 pin now......any recommendations from anyone with good or bad experiences with any of the particular kits out there??
How hard are they to wire in??
thanks in advance

Ken

If you're just going for a 4-pin, and have no need for trailer brakes or accessory power to the trailer, then this Hopkins kit from etrailer.com is a good choice. Plug-n-play just by removing the taillight covers. About $45 plus shipping and 10 to 15 minutes to install.

If you're wanting the Mopar harness(es) which will give you the trailer brake option (w/ the addition of a brake controller) and the accessory power to the trailer then try a place like JustforJeeps.com - they have the Mopar 7-pin and supplemental harnesses. If you don't have the EVIC overhead console from the factory then you'll need the supplemental harness and more time for the install; if your '06 came with the EVIC the 7-pin install is a piece of cake. Maybe 15 minutes.

Here's an older thread that is still very applicable for your Libby. Some of the links are dead now but Dave did a great job explaining everything.

Let us know what you end up doing - will help others here when they search the topic... :party52:

Bob

ken270741

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks all for the responses. Probably just go with the hopkins plug in kit since i have used them before on ford trucks. Just was curious since researching it, it seems that i have to run a power wire to the battery and pull a bunch of panels off to get to the connectors. The ford one just plugged into a plug on the tail light, but after further research it seems this is how this particular hopkins one is also. Thanks for the help and will let you know.....ken

Uncle Krusty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may also try your local U-Haul rental center. I purchased a new one for my Dodge PU there (I couldn't find a Hopkins one aywhere as they were all out of stock). Funny thing was, the U-haul one was cheaper, not to mention better engineered!

It was a simple install by removing the tail lights, and pluging the new harness into the factory connections - no splicing!

There were also two added benifits with the U-Haul one. First, not only did it have the standard Flat-4 ouput, but it also had U-Haul's unique 4 pin connector as well (just in case I rent one some day). Second, (and best of all) it came with test LEDs molded into the output connector so that you can test the harness without having to buy a seperate testor, or even having a trailer plugged in.

It was also constructed in a way that allowed me to run an aditional tap off the back-up lights for an added light under the bumper without having to splice into the factory harness. Makes backing up on a dark trail MUCH easier.

04Liberty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got the Mopar 4 blade kit (p/n 82207290, will never tow anything large with it). Plugs right into an unused plug right behind the passenger side interior panel/taillight. Got it on sale, straight plug-n-play.