Trailer Brake Controller

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
I need a trailer brake controller installed as I was a little leary of doing it myself.........Doesn't look like much room for it....Has anyone had one put in and if so exactly where was it mounted?????

Thanks,
Dave

ArticJeep

Reaction score
I had a trailer brake controller installed two years ago by a RV dealer when I bought my camper. They placed it on the right side on the knee bolster close to the cigarette lighter. I never have a problem hitting it with my knees.

Dave

Administrator
KJ Supporting Member
KK Supporting Member
Reaction score
Abark.....Thanks for the link. It helped.

ArcticJeep...........Nice pic......How does it tow that camper?

I just had mine installed in the same place as you and it seems fine also. I've got to hook my boat up and adjust the controller. This site has been a great help.

Dave

cowcatcher

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good topic and timely for me too.

I quickly scanned the linked post. 05 and 06 Liberty's at least are supposed to have the bake controller wiring harness if the unit came with the hitch kit from the factory. Has anyone found it? Where?

Anyone have a picture to post on your brake controller install?

Artic Jeep, do you have any general specs on your trailer? Mine is an older 23' Komfort. With brakes I don't think pulling it will be an issue as I would only be towing a couple of hundred miles and I am a very very cautious tow. It wouldbe nice to know how it compares in size and wieght to yours though.

Thanks in advance.

JeepJeepster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ArticJeep said:
I had a trailer brake controller installed two years ago by a RV dealer when I bought my camper. They placed it on the right side on the knee bolster close to the cigarette lighter. I never have a problem hitting it with my knees.

Gosh that is a big camper for the kj. I never never try to tow that without a crd. How much does that thing weigh?

How does it do on hills? I know it must get slow, my jeep does with our little 15ft bass boat, Id say it weighs around 3k loaded.

glaurick

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would venture to say that Camper only weighs about 3k pounds
atleast the Gulfstreams we sell weigh about that much.

I chose the Tekonsha Voyager for my Brake Controller and Came up with what I thought was the best place for it the Dash is just to straight for most New Controllers that require certain mounting angles. It would have to go to low to be readily accessable, remember you have to be able to reach your controller fast if the Trailer starts to sway.
You must be registered for see images

also for the 7 Pin I chose to mount it here
You must be registered for see images

also note that the liberty requires a Zero Drop Taillight Converter when installing Trailer lights.

ArticJeep

Reaction score
My KJ 2002 sport pulls a Yukon Wilderness LE 22' Ultralight camper, weighs about 3700lbs dry with all of the sway bars and chains which pulls it nicely along the hills except the steep hills which can go slow. Although we do pass up the big motorhomes sometimes and get the strangest looks. We have a capacity of 5000lbs but the camper being an ultraweight really makes the difference since it's not ment to be stuffed to the hill with any extra weight. If you look closely, you'll notice that I had to remove my spare tire to allow room for the hitch.

ArticJeep

Reaction score
As far as the engine goes, I believe the dealers told us that there were 2 fans installed or something like that so the engine won't overheat...not exactly sure as I can't find the window decal paper that tells me what was what. I know that the previous owner had taken the normal sport and gave it extra incentives to pull heavy loads as well......and was reassured my a mechanic anyway before I bought the camper.

guyer

Reaction score
glaurick,

thank you for the picture. i just purchased an adapter and was looking for a place for installation. there is no frame available to hook the bracket to and was racking my brain on how to install. what steps did you take for this adapter install.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good topic and timely for me too.

I quickly scanned the linked post. 05 and 06 Liberty's at least are supposed to have the bake controller wiring harness if the unit came with the hitch kit from the factory. Has anyone found it? Where?

Anyone have a picture to post on your brake controller install?

Thanks in advance.

There is no brake controller harness. The Liberty only has a brake controller wire up under the dash that activates the proper pin on the 7-pin adapter. The rest of the connections must be hard-wired. Review the How-To post for installing a hitch, wiring harness and brake controller. Lots of detail (it's a very long post!) but gives you all the info you need.

Bob

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This like is referenced all over the place....is there another "authoritative" writeup that documents what is needed to know to install a controller?

The link below is an incredibly detailed, comprehensive write-up on the installation of hitches, wire harnesses and brake controllers. I used this How-To when I installed my hitch and both factory harnesses (the 7-pin and the supplemental harness for the "Chosen Few" referenced in the write-up.) I have an '03 Renegade that did NOT have the tow package or the overhead console (EVIC) so I had the worst situation. But if you follow the instructions to the letter you'll be fine.

Couple of points:

The brake controller wire IS UNDER THE DASH! It may be blue or it may be red but it is there. It will have a label on it that says "brake controller" and that will tie into your controller. You MUST connect that wire to your controller or the brake signal will not get to the trailer.

IMO your best bet is to get the factory harness(es). If your Jeep came with an EVIC you only need the 7-pin. If it did NOT come with an EVIC you will also need to get the supplemental harness. Again, I had to buy both harnesses but everything works perfectly and for my peace of mind I thought it better to use the factory wire loom rather than piece one together myself.

How to install Trailer Hitch, Wiring Harness and Brake Controller

Let me know if you need help. I've worked with several other members on their towing equipment and I'm happy to assist you.

Bob

Casey.N

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is no brake controller harness. The Liberty only has a brake controller wire up under the dash that activates the proper pin on the 7-pin adapter. The rest of the connections must be hard-wired. Review the How-To post for installing a hitch, wiring harness and brake controller. Lots of detail (it's a very long post!) but gives you all the info you need.

Bob

Where under the dash is this "blue wire" located under the dash, is it on the drivers side, center console area, or passenger side? Im under the drivers side looking but I can't seem to find it, my Liberty wasn't equipped with the tow package but you think the wire would still exists for when the factory is assembling these KJ's im very desperate as my 3,700lb smoker trailer and 3200lb boat trailer both have 7 pin, with the electronic brakes. Im wanting to do this myself instead of going to a shop and having the work done, i know im capable of wiring the whole thing, but im struggling to locate this wire. I went to the junk yard and got a factory 7 pin harness and plug, im ganna go back to the yard and look under that KJ's dash to see if i see any differences, or an obvious blue wire to have a functional electric brake, and get an idea of how it works. But as of right now if someone could tell me where this wire is that would GREAT!!

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
Driver's side footwell under the vertica plastic panel on the left is where I found mine. I think it was a white wire with blue stripe.

My KJ is an '05 CRD with the tow package.

TwoBobsKJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Where under the dash is this "blue wire" located under the dash, is it on the drivers side, center console area, or passenger side? Im under the drivers side looking but I can't seem to find it, my Liberty wasn't equipped with the tow package but you think the wire would still exists for when the factory is assembling these KJ's im very desperate as my 3,700lb smoker trailer and 3200lb boat trailer both have 7 pin, with the electronic brakes. Im wanting to do this myself instead of going to a shop and having the work done, i know im capable of wiring the whole thing, but im struggling to locate this wire. I went to the junk yard and got a factory 7 pin harness and plug, im ganna go back to the yard and look under that KJ's dash to see if i see any differences, or an obvious blue wire to have a functional electric brake, and get an idea of how it works. But as of right now if someone could tell me where this wire is that would GREAT!!

Driver's side footwell under the vertica plastic panel on the left is where I found mine. I think it was a white wire with blue stripe.

My KJ is an '05 CRD with the tow package.

Yes, what turblediesel says is correct. On the left side of the footwell behind the cover that hides the hood latch mechanism is a white plastic cover that conceals several relays and fuses. Typically the blue or red wire is coiled up behind that cover though I've also seen it taped to a wire above the cover.

I'm wondering how you're going to connect the 7-pin harness you got from the junkyard to your KJ...? There isn't a harness to which you can connect what you got from the junkyard assuming the KJ you took it from came with the factory tow package. Did you get a harness with the relays and connectors on the vehicle end? Does your KJ have the EVIC overhead console? You need to get battery power to the 7-pin and the supplemental harness that's needed if you don't have an EVIC will get the power to the right-rear cargo panel, which is where the 7-pin harness attaches to connectors that are part fo the standard electrical system.

Post back with more details.

Bob

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

God I wish I could find a spare one of these. Best damn brake controller ever.
If I had to replace it tomorrow, however, I'd get this instead...

DL-100

turblediesel

memberable
Reaction score
That's where I put mine, a Teconsha or something like that.

I took off the panel to find my wire but I probably could have reached it without any disassembly if I knew where it hid. Nothing in the books that I could find.

Poked a hole in the big firewall grommet above the pedals with a hanger to feed power and mounted the required circuit breaker inside the flip-down knee panel.

Where are your plow controls Sota?