Trailer Brake Controller

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the plow wand is disconnected for the time being, but I hang it from the a-pillar handle usually.

also, as an alternative to poking through the big wiring harness grommet, there are two body plugs, one on each side of the firewall, that are partially obscured by body seam filler. I don't have better pictures right now, but here's the passenger one as seen from the engine bay.

You must be registered for see images attach

I have the plow harness as well as the trailer big power wires passing through it.

Last edited:

Casey.N

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Driver's side footwell under the vertica plastic panel on the left is where I found mine. I think it was a white wire with blue stripe.

My KJ is an '05 CRD with the tow package.

i went to the junkyard and found that out!! thank you, its in the same place as you said. i checked 4 Liberties at the yard and found out that 2 out of the 4 i checked didnt have the electric brake wire.. interesting, i wonder why some have it and some dont, my 02 3.7l kj does have it but the 02 3.7l at the yard did not have it, but the 03 renegade at the yard, did have it. very weird im curious as to that defines you getting the electronic brake wire and what doesnt!?

Casey.N

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, what turblediesel says is correct. On the left side of the footwell behind the cover that hides the hood latch mechanism is a white plastic cover that conceals several relays and fuses. Typically the blue or red wire is coiled up behind that cover though I've also seen it taped to a wire above the cover.

I'm wondering how you're going to connect the 7-pin harness you got from the junkyard to your KJ...? There isn't a harness to which you can connect what you got from the junkyard assuming the KJ you took it from came with the factory tow package. Did you get a harness with the relays and connectors on the vehicle end? Does your KJ have the EVIC overhead console? You need to get battery power to the 7-pin and the supplemental harness that's needed if you don't have an EVIC will get the power to the right-rear cargo panel, which is where the 7-pin harness attaches to connectors that are part fo the standard electrical system.

Post back with more details.

Bob

hey bob, so by harness, i mean the 8 wires that bank off the rear of the 7 pin conector, the factory chrysler plug that i got has a diagram on the front cover displaying which pin goes where and what it does, so i made a simple wire diagram, describing how each of the 8 wires corresponds to the 7 pin connector, like yellow is the positive wire, brown/green wire is a ground, black/blue wire is ground, blue wire is the electric brake, ect.. so im going to hard wire the unit into my liberty, utilizing the blue electric brake wire, and the rest of the connections are pretty self explanitory, like right brake/turn light, ect.. that way ill be dialed in witha full functoining 7 pin for my trailers. but I did not get any relays or vehicle end connectors, i actually just went under the bumper of the junkyard kj and basically cut as much wire i could out, sadly if i wanted to get all the factory vehicle harnesses i wouldnt be able to as the kj tailgate was locked and without the key i dont imagine me getting that sucker open without ruining the tailgate. all in all the wiring should be pretty simple, only 8 wires, and 2 of the 8 are grounds.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my 07 didn't have the brake wire.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not really. all depends on which harness was installed, based on multiple factors. Mine's a stick shift "base" sport model basically, with only cruise control as an option, so it doesn't surprise me there was no trailer package included.

Casey.N

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ahh i see, man your lucky to have a stick, im tired of 11.5 mpg, because my stupid ****** is always wanting the engine to sit at 2k+ rpm.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am quite smug about being able to do a 260+ mile round trip, towing the trailer with car, all my tools and spares, for a 3 day weekend at the road course, and averaging 16mpg and doing posted speeds. :D

Casey.N

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am quite smug about being able to do a 260+ mile round trip, towing the trailer with car, all my tools and spares, for a 3 day weekend at the road course, and averaging 16mpg and doing posted speeds. :D

im wondering if a manual trans swap is possible!, always been a dream of mine to have my liberty stick!!

time to search jeepkj a little but!!. :D

Last edited:

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
don't bother.
just find one with a stick already.

Casey.N

Full Access Member
Reaction score
don't bother.
just find one with a stick already.

haha funny you say that, thats what all the other threads say, thats a bummer, oh well, its just annoying that when im at 3-4k rpm in 2nd gear, then need to slow down suddenly, the auto trans SLAMS into 3 as the revs go down trying to rev match, and it happens so frequently im not sure how i can resolve this other than being in control of the clutch to not have it slam into gear trying to rev match when im trying to slow down quickly. but this may also be a characteristic of the 45rfe trans in my 02 kj, im ganna make a new thread asking about this issue now because its making me cringe pretty hard each time my trans slams trying to rev match. i hate it.

sota

Full Access Member
Reaction score
depends on where. around here prices are about $1000+ higher than normal, because winter is coming. assuming certain other items are resolved, come this spring prices will be down again and I'll probably pick up another one, for reasons.

Latest posts

Members online