Trading the TJ for a KJ

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
Goldbug said:
I sugggest you not sell your film equip for digital. most of the photogs i'vbe talked to that did that regret it now. Me, I didn't pick up an SLR until sometime around early 2000 when I took my first photo class as a sophomore art major. Learned how to shoot on a nikon n60 with black and white, developed it myself and printed it myself. Now 6 years later I'm a full time photog for a paper with about 15,000 circ. And to tell you the truth JoN I don't know much about digital, eventhough I should. So i don't know if the d100 is apc or not but i think the guy at work who has a Libby just got a d200 i'll ask and see what he thinks of it.

ahh...yeah...a lot of the photographers i talked to dissuade me from selling my film......but i'm switching to a whole new system (pentax to nikon) so, it's not gonna be all that great carrying 2 systems all the time...prices on film bodies are dropping like rocks, so to pick up like an n80 body wouldnt cost that much. D200 are still selling out as fast as the stores are getting em..(i've been constantly checking B and H, and Adorama on a weekly basis). I might just wait till the summer or something...Been shooting since 1998 but took a small break for about a year and a half...i should start a new thread in OT...(dont reply to this one, i'll split up the photojargon later and put it in a whole new thread)

sorry guys for steering it OT....

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the link on the leak! Someone suggested to use newspaper to find the source. I will do so next time it rains!

GoldBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll reply to the things above later but here's a quick though before i head off to work.
Too bad i can't convince the factory to paint me a KJ in solar yellow. I think the police in the town i work in know me cause a yellow wrangler with two 4ft antennas on it is something you don't see often and i've grown to love the bright yellow. :-k

Marlon_JB2

Kombat Edition Jeep
Reaction score
The Grand Cherokee probably gets better fuel economy because of the steepness of the windshield isn't as steep as the Liberty. The Liberty's is only slightly more slanted than the Wrangler. In other words, better aerodynamics.

GoldBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So have been thinking about and I think I have confused some of you. I have been able to squeeze 19mpg out of the wrangler but it's rare. I think it has to do with head/tail winds how many big rigs I can draft behind on the way to work and how many miles I spend cruising the town looking for interesting photo ops. That said the TJ gets 17.5mpg regularly only worse if I’m in a hurry to get to work or home or if I shift like a racecar driver. Lately my driving habits have calmed down. It sounds like most of you are getting 18-21 with a gas Libby which doesn’t bother me too much. Now I have some more questions I’ve thought of:

1.) Does one or the other (gas or diesel) have a higher trade in value down the road?
2.) What’s the difference with a drop-in K&N filter like I have in the TJ and a FIPK?
3.) Can an oil filter help/hurt fuel economy? If so what’s the best one? (I use the Fram Tough Gaurd on the TJ)
4.) Still not sure if the 245/70’s will rub when at extreme flex, turn etc. will that extra .1 in width of an inch be a problem or is it more with the height of the tire to be concerned about?
5.) Will an all season tire be better on fuel than a mudder of the same size?
6.) Do they put the window controls on the console of a standard transmission KJ? (windows are on the door so shouldn’t the controls be there too?)
8.) What's the possibility of using a door jam style CB antenna mount on the tailgate of the Libby? Like the sides or bottom to keep from putting holes on the exterior as a blemish for later trade in.
7.) In the event my brother doesn’t want the TJ… does anyone want a schnazy yellow wrangler? :-$

GoldBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh forgot this one. How's the space inside the dash on a Libby? There is practically no room inside the dash of the TJ and I had to do some fun contortionist moves to get my Ai-Net Multi-Changer/Versatile Link Adapter and IPod Adapter up in there along with all the cords for the stereo and climate control. But then I guess it won’t be as big of a deal if I won’t have to be worrying about leaks filling the floor.

GoldBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well my brother will be taking the TJ and i'll be trading in his car and my parents will pay the trade-in value of the TJ on the Libby and I'll take the rest. I think I'll be going for the Renegade in Jeep green with some stuff added but not much and the off road group. No light bar either because in WV you can only run headlights and a set of fog lights any other lights are to be "disconnected" so I figured they'd just add to wind resistance and I'd never use them. Before I sell myself on this any answers to the last few questions above?

GoldBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While at the local jeep dealer getting my TJ worked on because the transmission throw out bearing clips broke and locked up my clutch, I checked out a Libby there and I think it possible to put an antenna mound on the tailgate. With all the problems I've had with the TJ it makes one wonder why I would want to have an other Jeep. :-s

-=JoN=-

Reaction score
GoldBug said:
While at the local jeep dealer getting my TJ worked on because the transmission throw out bearing clips broke and locked up my clutch, I checked out a Libby there and I think it possible to put an antenna mound on the tailgate. With all the problems I've had with the TJ it makes one wonder why I would want to have an other Jeep. :-s

eh.....dont think that ....the KJ's been very good...a few issues here and there, but, thats normal....
as far as antenna mount...some put it on the spare mount, others mount it inside the rear tail lights.....

grogiefrog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The new plant that builds the KJ is first rate. Not as old as where the TJ's are built (cross my fingers, lol!). My '04 has been problem free.

Who has the video of the KJ assembly line? Is it here anywhere? It's fun to watch!

GoldBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reassurance JoN and grogiefrog.

Now here's one of the reasons why I want a Libby even though i may be gaining at best 1mpg than the TJ. Had an assignment at a construction site...

You must be registered for see images

now I know it's not a ton of mud but I've been sent to worse and if you mean to tell me that a CR-V or a Sportage would handle that much soft mud or come out looking that good (or come out on its own) or demand as much respect on a construction site as a wrangler or renny then I'll change my mind on getting a KJ. \:D/

GoldBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well my Renny is ordered and will arive in 7-9 weeks, yay! \:D/
Thank you all for all your input! =D>

GoldBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So Saturday morning I went out at 10:30 to go to work and found this,

and why was it that Thursday I wanted to have the soft top on to enjoy the 60 degree + temps? And by 2pm when I was back in town to shoot the WVU/UCONN game most of the white was melted. Eh i guess after April I won't have the convertable option, I doubt I'll miss it. Lovely weather we've been having.

GoldBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've told you the loss of the wind noise will be enough to make me not miss the topless option.

GoldBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And we both know that once the weather warms up you'll be driving that streetster KJ to work and your wife will be the one going topless in your TJ. \:D/

dnm45227

Reaction score
I thought it was kinda funny. In my case it would be about the only way I could see my wife topless, too bad we don't have a TJ!